DVDVR Message Board

All In II - 8/27/2023

Dolfan in NYC

What a show.  More thoughts to come, but Punk/Joe was my match of the night. Crowd was on fire. Loved the ending. Punk resorting to biting Joe after being all sanctimonious with Ricky a few weeks back was perfect. 

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 3

This ended up being a really great show.  Crowd was awesome throughout.   The main event got a little overbooked for my taste but I feel that way about a lot of main events now.  Still, it was a good match and worthy of closing out the event.  I loved the hug it out moment at the end. 

Sting's entrance was absolute fire.   Feel good for Paige.  

I just wish we could put an end to Bleacher Report.  It worked well enough but there were a couple hiccups also.  

43 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It can probably just go into the catch-all AEW thread.

If we can't have a specific thread for whatever Octopus was referring to, can we have some sort of "Backstage shit tbarrie doesn't care about" thread and leave the existing AEW threads for discussion of actual AEW programming?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So why did Adam Cole wrestle the whole main event in a shirt? His physique looked fine. Did the trolls make him self conscious?

He took it off for storyline reasons at a certain moment in the match to make fans think he was going to do the Ultimate Betrayal of his best friend, only to swerve us by not doing it and losing due to his friend-based decision.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So why did Adam Cole wrestle the whole main event in a shirt? His physique looked fine. Did the trolls make him self conscious?

It played into the story.  When MJF took their shirt off Cole was like "oh it's like that??"  it was just playing into the friendship aspect. 

• Like 1

Miro has called bullshit on the events as reported on TAFKA Twitter.  Whether or not he's facilitating the cover-up is anyone's guess.

It is hard to sympathize with Punk, but Jack's business exposing bullshit was pretty unprofessional.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

What's this "business exposing bullshit", taking the bump on the windshield? 

It was the whole, "Hey, it's real glass!" thing on camera which is basically calling Punk out on a live broadcast.  There is a time and place for those comments.  The biggest PPV ever for your company is not the right hill to die on .

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It played into the story.  When MJF took their shirt off Cole was like "oh it's like that??"  it was just playing into the friendship aspect. 

He didn’t need to wear the shirt the whole match to play that off. It was dumb and goofy.

It was bad creative.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

He didn’t need to wear the shirt the whole match to play that off. It was dumb and goofy.

It was bad creative.

Respect your opinion, as always. I was very pro-shirt. The take off double swerve made me pop.

• Like 1

I'm through the pre-show and Joe vs Punk.

I thought the pre-show wildly overdelivered. They only promised us the tag match and Jack vs HOOK and we got a contract signing and Miro crushing people and Jarrett and co and Taz starting an USA chant only to get hushed down by Excalibur and Grado/Big Show/Ogogo. The tag was such a feel good piece of business with the crowd coming unglued for the kangaroo kick and Fletcher bumping like a maniac to make all of Cole's offense look great (and the double clothesline too). Then HOOK vs Perry was really good. He said what he said and then immediately got his arm all cut up which was hilarious and ridiculous. He hit the right heel balance in doing the rolling thunder on the car but then denying the fans the Van Terminator. I loved the bit with the low blow attempt in the corner that HOOK was ready for. Just good stuff all around. And hey, at least Kip got to be part of the panel I guess, even if that was kind of a crummy role for him. And Mercedes just there in between the matches!

I liked Joe vs Punk. I'll have to rewatch and write it up on Weds. I'll be honest that I was watching Orange Cassidy on the scrum at the same time but Joe was living his best life on the outside with the Ole kicks and then both guys channeled Cena and Hogan and it was pretty funny.

After hearing some other thoughts on the six man, I'm absolutely skipping it though.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I didn't see him say that to the camera. Yeah, that's dumb. In his defense: he is a heel, everybody knows they had words, and Punk deserves to be prodded. But it is still both poking the bear and business exposing therefore not smart. 

I love blood in pro wrestling and am bit of a death match mark, so I will be the last guy to chastise Perry for wanting to work with real glass, but you don't just casually work with real fucking glass and these guys are pro wrestlers and not licensed stuntmen. 

We have all heard the stories of Jerry Lawler nearly dying on camera after putting his hand through a car window trying to work punch Eddie Gilbert and slicing through several arteries on his right arm.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Pretty much everything delivered for me, except Stadium Stampede. That was a mess. Bad camera work. Too much going on. Props not cooperating. Liked the finish tho. Man JR was especially bad here in his limited action. Being lost on who was legal in the BC Gold trios, then asking if Freddie Mercury was still alive. Glad he got the hook when he did. If someone could just get him to stop shitting on the product he'd be fine as an occasional special guest commentator.

Sting & Darby vs Swreve & Christian was my favorite match. Sting just keeps over delivering especially at his age. Just well worked and a ton of fun. Jericho & Ospreay over delivered too. Minus the one ugly cutter by Jericho, he looked 20 years younger in this one. Bucks vs FTR was great but I get distracted easily and could not stop myself from paying attention to all those streamers stuck in the tron & invading the hard cam shot.

Didn't like the ROH Tag Title match in hindsight. It was well worked, but I thought there was going to be a story purpose for it. But ended up mostly being pandering and played no role in the story. Main was solid. I enjoyed their Dynamite match more but still great story telling. I thought the women's match over delivered too. It had quite a few creative beats and ended with a feel good moment. Punk vs Joe was good shit. Especially the finish and the head breaking the table spot.

Overall this show was mostly great. I'm a little surprised it was played mostly straight with no heavy handed building to All Out finishes or angles, but in a good way. They let this breathe and didn't make it feel like a setup show. The buys for All out will be interesting, as will the draw fir next year's All In. Will the novelty be gone? Was this a special perfect storm of their debut and it being special or can hey replicate this yearly?

• Like 4