DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

On 8/24/2023 at 11:54 AM, Matt D said:

One thing that's brutally apparent right now is how big a mistake it would be to go to more PPVs a year, no matter if WBD wants it or not. (I mean, before the renewal you kind of have to do whatever they want, right, because that's the point, but...?). Dynamite always feels rushed and exhausting but at least there was the pull of long matches and long matches that are more or less for the sake of themselves. Wonderful wrestling for the sake of wrestling. It was always a promotion where rematches were so rare that they tended to have a number after them when announced. Sometimes they left things on the vine and didn't lean in enough but they never leaned in so much that anything got old. If there's more of a need to churn to the next PPV month after month, I think that dies. Some of that is because Khan's booking deficiencies but some is just the nature of those needs. 2021 Dynamite was, in many ways, a luxury.

They have so much talent and so many titles under the umbrella they just need to keep putting everyone on every show. 

At what point does Punk being a dumb bitch and a drama queen override his value as a draw?

It's not now, so don't say now, because it's clearly still hot. But man am I getting tired of him being the modern Shawn Michaels.

I still can't believe there are people that think the pipe bomb was a shoot. Unfortunately I think Punk is one of them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

At what point does Punk being a dumb bitch and a drama queen override his value as a draw?

I know they made more money off of it because ticket prices were higher (and that may be a contributing factor as well) but I'll say this: it was a little tough to swallow seeing ~3000-5000 empty seats at Grand Slam II that were full just the year before. Whether it's due to the Brawl Out crap or just a byproduct of not having him (or the Elite) on the show, it's hard to say, but one does beget the other, so I have no problem drawing a line from A to B - I could be wrong, of course; I guess we'll see in a couple weeks.

26 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

It's not now, so don't say now, because it's clearly still hot. But man am I getting tired of him being the modern Shawn Michaels.

I still can't believe there are people that think the pipe bomb was a shoot. Unfortunately I think Punk is one of them.

Tbh I actually think it's hilarious at this point. And tbh, Jack was a guy who tapped out in the pre-show but now he's got his heat back. Thank you Phil!

27 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I know they made more money off of it because ticket prices were higher (and that may be a contributing factor as well) but I'll say this: it was a little tough to swallow seeing ~3000-5000 empty seats at Grand Slam II that were full just the year before. Whether it's due to the Brawl Out crap or just a byproduct of not having him (or the Elite) on the show, it's hard to say, but one does beget the other, so I have no problem drawing a line from A to B - I could be wrong, of course; I guess we'll see in a couple weeks.

As of last week there’s only 5389 tix out this time round. 

• Sad 1

Suspending Punk and Perry pending an investigation is fucking pointless. TK is in gorilla. There's a whole bunch of people in gorilla. No investigation is needed. 

I mean, I used to think the idea of Wrestler's Court was fucking dumb, but damn, it's almost needed at this point. An investigation for what? Perry being a dumb cunt and him and Punk getting into a fight? Oh no. Boo hoo. I can't imagine how many times Jericho would have been suspended in WWE for fighting with damn near anyone. It's TK's company and he can run it however he wants, but constantly suspending dudes for arbitrary amounts of time to "investigate" is fucking dumb. You know what happened. There's nothing to investigate.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, matt925 said:

As of last week there’s only 5389 tix out this time round. 

That's rough. I just did a quick Google and it seems like they're gonna just tarp off the upper decks this time around and set it up for just under 10K (so about halfway there):

https://wrestlingheadlines.com/update-on-ticket-sales-for-aew-dynamite-grand-slam-2023/

Kinda sucks, man. I don't even know what or who it would take at this point to get 19,000 in there again.

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Suspending Punk and Perry pending an investigation is fucking pointless. TK is in gorilla. There's a whole bunch of people in gorilla. No investigation is needed. 

I mean, I used to think the idea of Wrestler's Court was fucking dumb, but damn, it's almost needed at this point. An investigation for what? Perry being a dumb cunt and him and Punk getting into a fight? Oh no. Boo hoo. I can't imagine how many times Jericho would have been suspended in WWE for fighting with damn near anyone. It's TK's company and he can run it however he wants, but constantly suspending dudes for arbitrary amounts of time to "investigate" is fucking dumb. You know what happened. There's nothing to investigate.

Agree with this 100%. If Tony thinks The Chicago All Out crowd is going to accept a vague suspension excuse for Punk not being there after they have watched AEW treat the entire PPV like an afterthought for the last month….. whew this is going to be a interesting crowd this weekend. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Marcel said:

A PPV in Seattle to honor Antonio Inoki.....  

Okay, who will be Moxley be fighting in the Bainbridge Island Death Match?

We need an appearance from martial expert and Pedro Sauer BJJ black belt Bryan Alvarez.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jrag said:

Agree with this 100%. If Tony thinks The Chicago All Out crowd is going to accept a vague suspension excuse for Punk not being there after they have watched AEW treat the entire PPV like an afterthought for the last month….. whew this is going to be a interesting crowd this weekend. 

Given the relative silliness of the All-In main, could they just not run Cabana vs MJF?

24 minutes ago, zendragon said:

So was there no real glass in the BBC v BF parking lot brawl?

It was plaster according to Meltzer for the OC stuff. It also looked powdery to me too. The part in the bar area looked like the fakest glass I’ve seen. Looked like it broke apart before it even hit Eddie and then Eddie looked like he took forever to blade.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I hope every new Hausman exclusive includes new extraneous details about Punk’s food orders for other talent, the real story. 

I wish I was his coworker for the fun free lunches alone! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Jungle Boy has to shave his head. I think that’s a fair punishment and future incident prevention. 

They should use “Cry Me a River” as a jumping-off point for a punishment gimmick change for Perry to a moody 1950s-era torch song singer. Can he play a trumpet? Smash out his teeth, and baby you got a Chet Baker 2100 AD stew going.

Edited by Hamhock
  • Haha 1

I get people being angry at Jack Perry and both parties being suspended, but proper protocol for anything verified as physical is usually both parties being sent home whether there were immediate witnesses (like for example, someone in Gorilla/Jody position backstage) or not. That's just how that goes. 

• Like 2