DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV (Week of July 24, 2023)

RIPPA

11 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I'm excited as can be for Pac vs Gravity. It seems to be based on a Gordlow-type joke, in that Pac is the man that Gravity forgot.

Plus Gravity is (actually, as far as I know) Bandido's brother, so in my opinion this is likely to be a fast paced athletically exciting bout possibly with a crazy strength spot or two.

Orange vs Fox is also a natural match-up, and I love the nonchalant way it was set up. Swerve vs Darby has some build to it and should be great. Taya vs Britt is not for me. They are both pretty far on the "polished and professional" side of the continuum. I'd prefer the TV time be given to ladies on the weird and indy side. If this were, say, Abadon vs Nicole Matthews, I'd be SO MUCH more stoked. Nice to see Best Friends in a big tag match, although they will definitely eat the pin. Better than Bay Bay hasn't started to wear thin. Yet. How long can they keep it going? How long will they be allowed to keep it going?

Overall I'm looking forward to this one. I would like a bit more in the way of stakes, maybe?

• I am very glad that PAC vs Gravity is happening but it's probably more of a Rampage match?
  • There's a real issue with Swerve vs Darby but we've seen it before (They should go back to numbering these matches maybe?) and I wanted the coffin match already! I could see them saving that for All In but it also feels more like a TV match than an arena match visually?
  • If some new program comes out of the three way tag, great, but I'm not sure what it would be.
  • Taya has lost to Jade (twice), Kris, Toni, and now she's going to lose against Britt. I get that they often bring in females from the outside to lose to a current star as their first program, but this is the least important of those matches and even after getting heated back up against Skye, Taya just has no credibility. I'd add her to QTV but then you take away from what they're trying to do with Harley. But this has nothing behind it as is.
  • Cassidy vs Fox should be spotwise good but he's not a particularly interesting Cassidy opponent to me stylistically, and it doesn't have the narrative weight that something like the Swerve match had, of course. 

Maybe they have to get past Saturday and the tag title match but something needs to happen out of one of these matches tonight. We can't just have a palette cleanser show after Blood and Guts when we're almost exactly a month away from All In/All Out. But I think the matches themselves will be overall fun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I know I've been saying this basically since they formed, but I'm *still* not ready for BCC to break up. The whole concept just speaks to me. I still think there's a ton of legs on it (especially considering where some of the other groups are: JAS is well-stale and currently in possible breakup mode, D.O. is still kinda on their way back like mentioned yesterday, Best Friends is kinda weird with Chuck/Trent taking a back seat to OC and Stat since they've got titles).

It's total fantasy booking bullshit, but part of me is still hoping for BCC to add Marina Shafir or a returning Serena Deeb or Leyla Hirsch to the lineup to try and take one of the women's belts before calling it quits as a team - I think that would be a really cool way to add a little more intrigue/gravitas to what would otherwise be like, one of them squashing someone in ~5 min on Rampage. Kind of a modern/less ill-advised version of putting someone in the NWO.

Edit: Athena might be a really nice fit too

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

JAS should blow up any minute now. If they start doing that to BCC I'ma be PISSED. Zakk's ideas are on the money. 

If -- and this is a BIG IF from me -- they decide to break up BCC they need a real divisive figure to be initiated into the club and cause a rift. For the life of me I can't think of who that would/should be. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

JAS should blow up any minute now. If they start doing that to BCC I'ma be PISSED. Zakk's ideas are on the money. 

If -- and this is a BIG IF from me -- they decide to break up BCC they need a real divisive figure to be initiated into the club and cause a rift. For the life of me I can't think of who that would/should be. 

Thanks for the compliment, and I'll throw it right back at you because if it's got to be done, your way is the way to do it. it's sort of impossible now based on what's already occurred in the story, but I think Kingston would've been perfect as that guy. There was also an opportunity for Danielson to maybe be that guy when he first returned from injury. I'm with you, though -- as things stand now, I too, am drawing a blank. If not for what happened in B&G last week, Takeshita or PAC (or both) could've def worked in that role - especially Takeshita, since obviously Callis would've had to do a lot of the heavy lifting verbiage-wise (which I am always down for more of).

I'm looking for my match aga...

I mean that PAC vs Gravity seems interesting, it's too bad I probably need to see it a little bit later on... which is not at all suspicious, because I always see Dynamite and other AEW shows on a day delay at least.

• Like 3

If it were WWE I guarantee you I know who would break them up...

Spoiler

Bray Wyatt 😆

What you need is someone who's a mean shooter, also a great talker, an awesome heel that can get under people's skin, and is free for the spot. The only person I can think of who (almost) fills all these categories is

Spoiler

ZSJ. But New Japan would never give him up long term.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

Like both line-ups this week. Not keen on multi-person ladder matches, but I'm here for a singles with two guys with great chemistry and Andrade still having an air of post-return freshness. Into the idea of Action Andretti on AEW programming being a regular part of the Collision undercard babyface crew facing the top heel crew on back to back weeks, definitely seems like Collision could be a great space for someone like him to grow if that's going to happen. Tag title match goes without saying will be great, the MJF vs FTR interactions have interesting potential that's getting somewhat overlooked in the Cole/MJF of it all. Swerve and Darby always deliver, as do your random match generator OC title defenses. Goodgoodgood. 

• Like 4

If Britt's performance (condition, really) and the memes/fan-war-propaganda that comes out of the sign shot doesn't change the booking of the women's division, I have no idea what will.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4

Fans, Tony Khan has just made it official, next week in an “Anything Goes” match, it’s Jon Moxley vs Trent Baretta...

me: OH HELL YEAH

...and Penta

me: OH NOOOOOOO womp womp

Edited by JLowe
  • Sad 1

Weird ass night of wrestling. Some good matches with lots of new angles going (Swerve and Fox is an awesome pairing! Orange Cassidy with some fresh feuds!), some average matches with bad spots (looking at you, Penta, bailing away from every one of Claudio’s uppercuts mid-swing and then missing a thrust kick worse than Britt Baker), and the ugly (that awful women’s match). Is Britt sick? Did she just stop training? She was never greet but she’s been really really bad recently.

• Like 1

That spot where Darby did a roll over the ring steps, and Swerve ran up it and hit Darby with a kick... *chefs kiss* Perfect spot of that style.

And darby, please.. I want you to still be wrestling in 2025.. aw forget it, that superplex/brainbuster on the apron? OW.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 8