DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/19 - 7/24/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Has there been any word on who's agenting Collision as opposed to Dynamite? Everything about it flows better and seems to mean more. 

I admit I'd never seen what the big deal about Juice Robinson was but the past couple weeks I've really started to come around on him. His goofy, wildman facials are just short of being over the top and lending him the air of crazy unpredictability that fits his character. What I've seen of White has been good but just kinda there, however I've been more and more into his work as well. He and Robinson just compliment eachother really well.

FTR's promo got me really looking forward to the match against MJF and Cole, mainly because I have no idea what is going to happen, but I know we're going to get a good match out of it.

The main event was a bit too long, but everyone got to look good. Punk/Starks have their blowoff match at the next PPV right?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Let us rejoice that Punk has brought back the trunks instead of the terrible looking boxing shorts or whatever they were. I mean, peak Punk is him in the long bois but I’ll settle for the return of the trunks.

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

This has to be a controversial take. Seen tweets praising the shorts from the Kingston match as his #1 look in AEW. 

I mostly appreciate that after fresh looks for every tournament match and the United Center tag, he’ll just come with some random shit he’s owned for a dozen years or so to change things up. 

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Yeah I hate the boxing shorts. I liked the Revolution ‘22 shorts versus MJF, but those aren’t the same thing. Long bois 4 lyfe. 

I like how CM Punk mixes his looks up frequently going from tights to trunks to short shorts to long shorts. Can't think of others who do it to that extent. The short shorts are my favourites, vs. Eddie Kingston at Full Gear 2021 and he's mostly worn since his 2023 return. After that, the tights.

Very sad to see the end of Billy Gunn in the ring!

Awesome main event that I wasn't expecting to be another 25 minute tag. Christian continues to be absolute money in his role, asking Punk "what kind of man carries a championship he didn't win!", classic. 

• Like 5

There's a few tag team in AEW that have the same loud one/ quiet one dynamic that Juice and Jay have. But you don't really think of them as being similar to 2.0 or Silver/Reynolds at all, do you?

I think that was Billy Gunn's shoot retirement. Both Austin and Colton posted (semi-kayfabed, we've not been getting along lately) tributes to him after the show.

• Like 2

I do like how the collision opening titles switch up each week to highlight that weeks featured talent. How have I only now noticed that they cut a clip of Garcia (who hasn't featured on collision??) dancing as Elton sings, "gonna set this dance alight".

That opening promo told me above all else that Darby is such a mega Babyface! The crowd alignment was Punk heel/Starks face until Darby came and threw an arm around Phil.

Love Juice Robinson, love how over the top he is. Shoutout to Austin Gunn for just embracing that he is the most annoying man alive, he was the heel version of his Daily's Place-era self tonight.

House of Black rule! Buddy set the pace absolutely sprinting to smash Max. Wonder what he was gonna rhyme with, "hey Buddy, you're looking kind of nauseous" - answers on a postcard please!

• Like 4

I think I want to see Cole/MJF play off predictably with MJF repeatedly turning or attempting to turn on Cole, only for Cole to forgive him each time. 

Is Cole trying to get into MJFs head by forgiving him for walking out on a tag match, or attempting to hit him with the Dynamite Diamond Ring but missing, or does he genuinely believe MJF can do better? Is the payoff going to be MJF really doing something severe even by his standards to turn on him?

• Like 1

Collision just feels alive compared to the other shows right now.

Maybe it’s because they don’t normally do an opening in ring promo, maybe it’s because all 4 guys could talk, maybe it’s because the face/heel dynamic is so fluid. It all just feels very important. It’s electric when Punk is out there and the fans are really leaning in to the split reaction thing. Very loud shut the fuck up chant that Punk worked around well and then a similarly loud CM Punk chant as he was making his way back into the ring. Added layer that Punk has been playing heel in NJ for his entire AEW run.

Starks was great on the mic tonight and they seem to be really leaning in to the cool heel bit. The line about Punk’s empty bag was too good of a line and clearly meant to get cheers.

Darby has really really improved on the mic as well in the time that I have been watching.  Insane amount of talent in one ring for that main event! 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Tag was great. I like how it showed that business partners can defeat the power of friendship.

But only with the help of a dinosaur, which makes for a moral somewhat less applicable to day-to-day life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Tag was great. I like how it showed that business partners can defeat the power of friendship.

Business > Friendship > Workout Partners > various groups surrounding Jericho is what I think the rankings are 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Apparently you just have the wrong business partners.

Good point. Can somebody tell me the company behind Jurassic Park so I can invest in them? I haven't seen any of the movies.

Or should I just play Dinosaur Island more?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Where do “dudes with attitudes” fall on that list? 

The Apex of wrestling. My list only involved mortals. Same reason I didn’t mention any spooky group with an underworld goth leader, The Union, team in highscool letterman jackets, or group of monsters surrounding Bobby Heenan

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’ll do a full review later, but holy crap is Ricky Starks a STAR. I could hear @LF2 chanting “no not really” when the crowd was chanting “you deserve it” at Ricky. 

I still can’t grasp why Adam Cole is in the spot he’s in and Ricky isn’t. Hopefully this is the beginning of Stroke Daddy’s ascension into the tippy top echelon.

• Like 2

So when Cody left, it looks like they accidentally forgot to cancel their standing order to the fireworks company for a few weeks, and accidentally built up a surplus of pyro. And then used all of it on Ricky’s entrance last night.

• Like 3

Collision was crazy, Rampage a nice bonus watched out of order. The Acclaimed rap was not good, because Cameron spat F'n fire last week! You just jealous you can't flow like that!

Ladies and gentlemen, I am the Johnny TV of life! Still looking amazing with a beautiful wife, but otherwise not reaching any potentials!

Edited by Shartnado
...the sad truth...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I’m squeezing Swerve into this conversation about which young guys to push.  The group he is with overall isn’t that impressive especially in contrast to the other more prominent groups.  However my dude is performing flawlessly these day. Meanwhile, he is thickened up enough to have opponents sell heavyweight for his offense.  He is making guys right now.  So perhaps that gear will finally shift up in the inevitable Keith Lee match.  

I am with a lot of you in pushing hard for Starks’ rise.  It should be encouraging to know that you as a fan are in good hands. That way a Starks hiccup after the title shot doesn’t necessarily guarantee a downward spiral.  That was a quick character turnaround and a competently executed reheat that totally lit the fuse.  He is back on track.  

Excuse me while I barf metaphors.

• Like 8