DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/12 - 7/18/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Nice opener from Jericho/Komander, dug the Walls counter finish. Liked the use of the old 1995 footage of Jericho and Callis. The later segment with Jericho and Hager was a neat touch too, love the crowd's "ohhhhh" reaction when Hager removes his trademark hat.

Absolutely loved all the MJF/Cole stuff tonight, hilarious and great stuff continuing on from the past week. Cameos from KC Spinelli, Alexia Nicole, and Seleizya Sparx. Popped huge for Cole bringing MJF to play Fight Forever, that was perfect. MJF's initial reaction but then they bond over it and win the tag titles in-game, loved it. Their tag team entrance is the best. Actual match was a blast. Cole revealing "he's got the shirt!!". I wanted Cole to hit the body slam to play off last week's super strength bit, but the pop when MJF hit it was greatness, with a chant for the body slam. This has definitely gotten too good to where I don't want the inevitable break up conclusion. They have to win the finals with the dreaded Double Clothesline finisher now. Totally would be down with them winning the tag titles at this point.  Also co-signed on Big Bill & Brian Cage as a team being the best use of both guys thus far, keep them together.

I pretty much realized last week that the Owen Cup was heading towards a Ruby/Willow final but damn I wanted Skye to win it all still. Wanted a Skye/Athena final if they were gonna end Athena's 20+ match win streak.

Thought Nick Wayne looked great in his debut. Epic near fall off the super poison rana followed by Wayne's World in the ropes. Looked like Swerve about killed him with the super powerbomb counter, thought he might pull it off when that didn't end it. Good stuff overall.

Hyped for the GOLDEN Elite next week!

• Like 4

I suspect that wrestling promotions in general would rather not mention the ages of their workers (because of the surprisingly old guys that are working for them)... which might complicate things for wrestlers who are good and younger than the average age. So you could watch Wayne/Swerve and know that Wayne is 18, but you might not realize that Swerve is 32.

Looking at WrestlingData, FWIW, and the average age of wrestlers at Forbidden Door? 37.5. Average age of wrestlers on Dynamite last week? 36.5. Average age of wrestlers on Dynamite this week? 32.9. Obviously that isn't all Nick Wayne (Daniel Garcia's 24, Komander's 24, Skye Blue's 23).

So in some sports, it's easier to figure out when a rookie shows up and is instantly one of the best players on the team. Wrestling, isn't quite like that.

Swerve is one of the best acts they have going right now. Dude is locked in. I wish the booking matched his level as a performer. He makes the most out of some pretty nothing feuds.

The bodyslam spot sealed it, MJF really could be the biggest face in wrestling if he wanted it. 

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 15

If they have MJF turn on Cole after this, it will be one of the biggest misses in AEW history. He's had a great run as a heel, but it's time to send him to the next level as the face of the company. He had the crowd chanting whatever he wanted and he got the freaking bodyslam spot over like crazy. I could see some subtle hints at a Cole turn with Roddy telling him he's changed and some couples bickering on the phone with Britt, but I really hope they don't turn him either. The biggest swerve of all would be MJF finally finding real friends and having a nice supportive circle with Cole, Roddy, and Britt. I think someone said last week that Cole and MJF should hit their first double clothesline on Schiavone, and with a few more weeks of him going all Frank Grimes on their team, I think that would be pop of the year.

The rest of the show was a good "calm before the storm" kind of show. Couldn't have asked for a better guy than Swerve to help Nick Wayne through his first big match. Swerve is pro's pro, and Nick looked great for 18. I feel like that was Skye's best match too with Ruby leading the way with some nice leg work.

It's quite the luxury to have someone the caliber of Pac to use as a late fill-in for the biggest TV match of the year, and he makes sense as a mercenary. Still hoping we get back him vs. Vikingo for taking the last Death Triangle spot.

• Like 3

I just had a vision of babyface MJF teaming up with Roderick & Cole versus heel CMFTR and I’m all for it. You could get a lot of mileage out of that. Punk vs Roderick, Cole, MJF, even Kyle when he comes back (if it’s soon). FTR versus Cole/Roderick or Cole/MJF. Dax and Cash solo versus any of them. This is the only way I’d like a heel Punk right now, probably. It also allows them to flip the face/heel alignments for Part 2 with Punk/MJF.

I’d like my expectations to be subverted, but MJF’s history thus far says he’ll turn on Cole sooner or later. Which is sad, because I’m not a huge fan of either of them, but this story is actually making me like them both.

• Like 2

I've been a vocal Cole hater but how can you not love the MJF-Cole pairing? I am all in on this story, give me Better Than You Bay Bay vs BCG for the belts. If this is the beginning of MJF - redemption arc babyface - they have something special. Even if MJF does predictably turn on Cole, it feel will meaningful now. Part of me was really hoping we'd get them vs OC/Darby in the finals, which would be a total barnburner, but I guess it makes more sense to have them against a heel team.

I am really for this BCC vs Elite feud to be over so hopefully next week is the payoff. That said I did like how PAC ties back into all this with his ongoing rivalry with Kenny.

Edited by Steventon
  • Like 2

Really enjoyed watching adam Cole in there against some actual grown men. I usually like TK as a booker, but his obsession with dishwater adam Cole and putting him over guys who actually look like they could hurt someone remains baffling. It might help if Cole slapped his leg some more, I’m not sure he does enough of that. It’s crazy how charismatic MJF is. He makes Cole remotely interesting.

Big Bill deserves better. He’s been killing it. Enjoyed the first semi match with Garcia/Guevara, too. Pretty much everything on this show except for the most overrated performer of the last 20 yrs (Cole) doing my least favorite trope (mismatched tag team) of all time was really great. We know enough about Cole to know he doesn’t draw eyes. Why are we still doing this?

Edited by just drew

Pete made the observation last week that he loved the ironic booking of Cole keeping MJF honest and forcing him to win clean.  I think we're seeing the evolution of that booking as MJF is slowly beginning to appreciate and embrace the positive vibes from the crowd because he's not cheating.  I think we can credit the change in attitude to the lack of pressure he'd normally be feeling because he's got a championship to protect. 

I tend to agree with everyone else in that it would be a shame if MJF turned on Cole at the end of this angle.  Either put the belts on them for five months or have Cole turn on MJF at the title match with FTR and let Max run a tweener revenge program similar to the one Ric Flair had in '83 when he wanted to kill Dick Slater and Bob Orton.

Skye Blue has lapped Jade Cargill, hasn't she?

Swerve was the perfect guy to put in the ring against Nick Wayne in his debut, but no lie.  I hate the JML Driver because it looks like it could go horribly wrong at the worst possible time.  There is a reason that Chris Hero refuses to take that move.

I do, however, like the shoulder separation thing being the set-up, because the other thing I hate about the JML Driver is that it looks like it could be easily be countered into a roll-up by a smart wrestler.  Dinging the arm makes me buy the idea that the guy about to get drilled is unable to defend against the finish.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don Callis' shoes and the "SATAN" chant were the best things on the show last night. 

Nick Wayne gave me a big heel vibe even though he's just starting. MJeff and Cole are a surprisingly good heel team in their own right. I don't know if Max is rubbing off on Cole but I just don't see the "face" in the pairing. They're both such a pair of obnoxious weenies. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Jrag said:

Swerve is one of the best acts they have going right now. Dude is locked in. I wish the booking matched his level as a performer. He makes the most out of some pretty nothing feuds.

Is there a reason we haven’t gotten a Swerve v Keith Lee singles match yet when the team broke up in November?

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Nick Wayne gave me a big heel vibe even though he's just starting. 

Same! While I really enjoy what I've gotten to see so far of Wayne, and he's obviously got a great babyface moveset, the hype package and Darby pep-talk gave me slight Rocky Maivia vibes - obviously they dug him last night up in Canada, but I'm curious to see if he gets whatever the modern 'Die Rocky Die' analogue is when they're back in the states. Of course, there's no guarantee that's the way it'll go in 2023 - the most brutal crowds are also kind of the 'smartest' now, and everyone's rooting for the guy off-screen naturally (and how could you not?) -- there's always the chance they play it more traditionally ,and they just have him wallop Darby from behind for a full-blown 'Fuck you, you stole my dead dad's love' turn. Also: maybe this is just what young dudes look like nowadays, but his visual presentation made me think he would be a good fit to go on an excursion with Ospreay and the UE guys

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Tippo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

MJeff and Cole are a surprisingly good heel team in their own right. I don't know if Max is rubbing off on Cole but I just don't see the "face" in the pairing. They're both such a pair of obnoxious weenies. 

I'm with you on hoping this leads to Cole turning back into a heel. I don't want them winning the tag titles unless MJF drops the singles belt (which I don't think he should do) because I don't like the idea of having someone with two of the top belts (especially someone who mostly works as a special attraction).

I liked the show. Jericho was working 1997 Monday Nitro Jericho vs luchadores, solid basing and flow except being a little out of position on one of the big spots. Good middle section with wacky lucha armdrags and ranas. I'm with Matt D that I hope that Jericho joins with Callis and feuds with the Elite.

Darby-OC vs Garcia and Guevara was a great showcase of young talent and your hottest current act, did a lot to advance angles, and the Swerve run-in was a nicely shot moment complete with Darby looking up and saying "oh shit" right before getting kicked in the face. Expecting both Garcia and Guevara taking a run at OC.

The Cole-MJF skit was a little over-the-top campy at times but worked overall and quite funny how it morphed into an ad for the video game. They need to be careful about overdoing this because even though I'm enjoying it a ton, there was a little TOO much Adam Cole tonight. The match itself was very schticky, right to the edge of being too much, but then it paid off. I much prefer Big Bill and Moriarty.

I think Skye and Ruby had a better match a month or so ago, but this was another very good match and Skye is definitely still growing and needs an experienced lead. Still, she sold the hell out of that knee and it felt like she had a chance and belongs in her spot. Excellent work calling back Ruby's broken nose and playing possum to get the win, and the super No Future was a great finish.

Swerve-Nick Wayne was a good choice because they obviously have worked together a lot. Nick took some huge bumps, and the finisher was scary. The springboard cutter as a finisher might not cut it in AEW, but clever name!

In the minority here but PAC was a huge letdown (and the crowd seemed to agree). I'm interested in Blood and Guts but not excited like I was last year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

He was just announced for his first NJPW date

Damn, I'm currently going to be in Philly for a couple of days before that to close on a house there, not sure I can stretch out my trip to include that whole weekend!

• Like 1

Just now, JLowe said:

Damn, I'm currently going to be in Philly for a couple of days before that to close on a house there, not sure I can stretch out my trip to include that whole weekend!

All Star Jr. Festival is selling well on Saturday, but Impact's Multiverse United 2 on Sunday isn't moving tickets at all - they only have Tanahashi announced, so I'm not sure what the hell they're doing.

I think everyone's hoping for Speedball vs. Ospreay, but who knows if Ospreay works that match so close to All In.

12 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Just realized how few matches are booked for Collision. FTR-JayJuice: Over/under 45 min bell to bell? 

And apparently Luchasaurus and Spears are going the full hour on BotB. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Log said:

And apparently Luchasaurus and Spears are going the full hour on BotB. 

I’m actually quite excited for Orange Cassidy’s BOTB opponent, but it’s a spoiler. Also, not for everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I’m actually quite excited for Orange Cassidy’s BOTB opponent, but it’s a spoiler. Also, not for everyone.

But very, very much for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Let's hope Nick is not wrestling Todd Van Poppel. 

That’s better than the Wresting Todd Marinovich, which is probably a Von Erich.

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Nick Wayne gave me a big heel vibe even though he's just starting.

How many months until they can have him turn heel on Hook? Figure you gotta wait a little bit with Jungle Boy just turning heel on Hook and somehow that feud will go like 7 months until they remember to end it.

2 hours ago, hobo joe said:

Is there a reason we haven’t gotten a Swerve v Keith Lee singles match yet when the team broke up in November?

I’m guessing those reasons are similar to the reasons why Keith Lee’s push evaporated quickly in AEW? Also having the heel turn be in one of the weirdest bad segments possible didn’t help

• Like 1