DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2023

22 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

what purpose an announcer openly pulling for guys along straight face/heel lines actually serves. 

Speaking as a babyface play-by-play announcer, I would say that you're not really pulling for individual wrestlers, but you're basically being an advocate for the promotion and its rules.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Oh man, a dream match we all wanted to see is currently penciled in for All In

Hide contents

oops nevermind it’s Ospreay versus Jericho

I can see why they waited until after the tickets were sold to leak that.

• Haha 5

If that's true...are Kenny and the Bucks really done?

Feels like the NJPW/ROH MSG show where it sold out on the hype that The Elite would be there...and then they weren't

Jay White saying he sold out MSG is adorable, though

Edited by Dolphman 3000

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Oh man, a dream match we all wanted to see is currently penciled in for All In

Hide contents

oops nevermind it’s Ospreay versus Jericho

There’s no fucking way that could be real. 

• Like 1

Triple posting. I don’t give a fuck. The fuck was the point of building to Jericho vs Sting?!?! Again, another angle/feud that disappeared into the aether or maybe Sting super fucked himself on that ladder dive.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

May be an image of 3 people and text

With this picture, and the one Billy's wife posted, it seems like "retirement" is falling down and not being able to get back up again. Somebody get Daddy Ass a Lifecall, stat! 

• Haha 2

On 7/26/2023 at 6:41 AM, Firebreaker Chip said:

These were the quotes from Bret from April:

"Sadly, it's getting too phony. I really question the direction that the people that are in charge are taking wrestling. AEW has gone in a bad direction with all the violence and gore. I watched an episode, Dr. Martha Hart doing her big press conference, I'm watching AEW and [Jon Moxley] is sticking a fork in somebody's head for five minutes with a close-up. This isn't wrestling. I would recommend turning all that off and not watching because it's not very good. Wrestling is going in bad directions because people don't know what wrestling is or was." (h/t Fightful)"

I like MOX but I do feel he goes to his various wells a bit too much (but hey he did have a match with no blood the other night!)

• Like 1

Spoiler

Quite the downgrade going from Omega/Ospreay III to Ospreay/Jericho. No fan of Will. One of those heavily hyped wrestlers you just don't get. Don't care for Jericho in recent years either. All In is the bigger show than All Out. Needs the bigger matches.

We're not spoiler tagging a rumor, guys.

I, for one, am cautiously positive towards this stupid, stupid rumored Jericho vs Ospreay match.

• I find the idea that Omega vs Ospreay III should be built properly and in NJPW since it's sort of a NJPW feud at least somewhat compelling.
  • I don't actually like Omega vs Ospreay all that much so I'm fine not seeing it and also with it not driving the rest of the card to extreme places if it's not the main event. It burnt out the crowd at Forbidden Door.
  • I don't think it should have been the main event because it's not an "AEW" match. This is the biggest AEW card ever and you should have an AEW match on top. You guys know what I think that match should be and why I think it's a more productive and primal use of Omega.
  • I find 2023 Ospreay a lot more interesting than 2023 Omega and would like to see him against other people on the roster. I think he has a specific attitude, a specific presence, and could interface with a lot of people in a more traditionally compelling way where there's not that level of complex scripting and planning involved. Perfect is the enemy of good, Kenny Omega!
  • Jericho is, in some ways, a very interesting opponent because he's so self-aware and will try to think up ways for this match to be a specific success. In fact, one reason why I love this is because how much everyone is hating it. It has to be driving Jericho absolutely insane right now and I find that just a tiny bit amusing and you do too I bet.
  • He's also a disastrous opponent since he never admits his own personal physical limits. He didn't in 1995. He doesn't now. So the match has a certain trainwreck qualities.
  • I don't know about you guys, but I kind of sort of find the Jericho/Callis storyline compelling, just because you don't know what's happening and how they get there. They can't play it straight. But then remember, sometimes that happens in AEW. There wasn't supposed to be a BCC but it just made sense after that promo. Does Takeshita turn on Jericho this week and Callis renew his recent one-sided arrangement with Ospreay? Is Ospreay resentful of Callis for whatever liberties he took at Forbidden Door and they have a falling out with Jericho in the middle? How do they get to this with the limited time and other bits on the table that they have? Theoretically, they play it straight and give Ospreay a boo-able straight heel in Jericho in front of a local, biased crowd.
  • It keeps Jericho out of other more important things? That said, probably a better, more meaningful match would be Jericho vs Garcia or Jericho vs Sammy, but you can't do everything at once.
  • Like 6

This is a genuine question because I don't follow the scene, but is Will Ospreay really this much loved-figure in the UK who is getting universally cheered over Chris Jericho?

That's just never quite the impression I got. He is respected for his talents no doubt, but that's not quite the same thing.

For me personally, I can go about 2-3 Ospreay matches a year and if I watch his recent match with Okada then see you in 2024 Billy.

I really don’t trust Tony to put these 2 cards together in a meaningful way.

Selling all those tickets in advance was obviously great for the company, but maybe not so great for the on screen product/build up.

I hope I’m wrong, but we are a month out now and these are 2 huge shows to build here. Feels like we should be seeing a bit more urgency.

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 2