DVDVR Message Board

June 2023 Wrestling Discussion

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Maybe Joshi is just hazardous. There was 2 day tag team tournament Zenjo had in 1996 where the vets tagged with rookies. Aja Kong tagged with a very young, pre WCW Women's Cruiserweight title winner and future Rainbow and Citi Trends store shopping, Cash Money taking over for the 99 and 2000s hot girl Yoshiko Tamura. In the second round on day two, they wrestle Kyoko Inoue and Chaparita ASARI. Surprisingly, it's not Aja (who was also involved in the aforementioned legends match above) who was involved in said injury. Chaparita ASARI, who has probably only landed the Sky Twister Press cleanly three times out of like 600 attempts over her career, absolutely botches it against Tamura and concusses her with via accidental headbutt. Concusses her bad. Now she wasn't knocked out cold. Matter of fact, ASARI is in the one in worst shape appearance wise cause she is basically out of the match until the finish. She just clutches her shoulder laying down on the apron the entire rest of the match basically. Tamura just stumbles around rocked and clutches her head. She somehow is doing spots while clearly out of it. 

That's not the worst part, my friends. They win the match. And then they win in the next match! SO SHE HAS TO WRESTLE TWO MATCHES AFTER SUFFERING A CONCUSSION . Even worse, between the matches, they cut to a seated Aja Kong talking while an also seated Tamura is hunched over head down on the table like a student sleeping in class. SHE'S GOING TO SLEEP ON CAMERA. WHAT IN THE ENTIRE FUCK, ZENJO? Why wouldn't you rush her to the hospital and get a substitute for Aja's partner? She's clearly in distress after suffering a traumatic brain injury, and they made her wrestle multiple times. Keep in mind, this is ten years before Tamura and Azumi Hyuga had the most brutal and hellacious women's match of all time over 60 minutes. In between that, based on Tamura's wrestling style, she probably suffered a dozen plus concussions and even afterwards until she retired in 2010.

If that happened today in one of the major companies, that's EASILY the worst promotional tactic award winner in the Observer. I don't care if Vince showed up butt ass naked on a WWE PLE and took a shower in Saudi money. It's second to something like that.

This is a big part of why I don't like the romanticization of Zenjo or the idea that joshi companies these days should try to mirror Zenjo. Good Zenjo was very good indeed, but there were a lot of times were Zenjo was unnecessarily hazardous. Same with JWP, or the Zenjo splinters.

Frankly, I still don't know how Akira Hokuto wasn't killed at least twice. Or how the match Yumi Fukawa had against Candy Okutsu in the Ars '98 tournament wasn't stopped after she landed on her head twice trying to do an Asai moonsault.

Ice Ribbon may get a lot of criticism for being too rollup heavy in their finishes, but I'd much prefer a rollup finish to near mirroring of the deaths of Plum Mariko or Emiko Kado (who was killed via backdrop suplex).

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This begs the question of whether or not Japanese wrestling had/has a universal symbol like the X in WWE for the termination of a match once a combatant is seriously injured? If they do, at what point did they start using it? 

I don't know when it started, but you can get an idea of what the current procedure is (at least in NJPW) during the Hiromu Takahashi/Taiji Ishimori match from this year's BOSJ when Ishimori got hurt.

Ishimori goes down, and Red Shoes kneels down to talk to him. All Red Shoes does is signal for the bell to be rung. But: after he does that you can clearly see the timekeeper put up the "X" signal on camera as the two of them make eye contact. The bell gets rung once Red Shoes nods "yes" at the "X" the timekeeper gave.

The only other recent major injury stoppage I could think of was the Kota Ibushi vs. Okada G1 final from a couple of years ago. But on that one, most everything happens off-camera. All we see there is the referee again calling for the bell, with no "X" put up in the ring. Maybe there's another angle out there I'm not aware of?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Infinit said:

This seems like a good question for Forbidden Door weekend...

Are Tenzan and Kojima the the most successful regular tag team that became single stars?

What about the Texas Outlaws?

19 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Are Tenzan and Kojima the the most successful regular tag team that became single stars?

Bockwinkel and Stevens / Patterson and Stevens.

Race and Hennig

Flair and Valentine 

• Like 1

Wanted to mention that this past Wednesday the WWC was celebrated and honored by the Puerto Rico House of Representatives on the occasion of the company's 50 year anniversary. Not many wretling companies make the 50 year mark so a big congratulations to Victor Jovica, Carlos Colon and everyone else involved with the WWC.

Also for anyone that may be interested, the WWC Aniversario 50 show is tonight at 8pm and will be available live on Fite.tv in both Spanish and English commentary. The event is dedicated to the founders and pillars of the company and to the fans of Puerto Rico.

• Like 7

It was interesting  to hear Dutch telling Victor Jovica stories on his podcast, as he isn’t mentioned very often when people discuss PR, since it’s usually just Carlos and Savio and Victor Quinones.

Edited by odessasteps

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It was interesting  to hear Dutch telling Victor Jovica stories on his podcast, as he isn’t mentioned very often when people discuss PR, since it’s usually just Carlos and Savio and Victor Quinones.

The fishing expedition story was amazing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I honestly didn't much about or even of Jovica until Puerto Rico underwent a little mini renaissance/resurgance about 20 years ago. That was back when I wanted to know everything about wrestling and was willing to do more digging. Before that, I just saw the name.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Bockwinkel and Stevens / Patterson and Stevens.

Race and Hennig

Flair and Valentine 

Stevens was a singles star way before he teamed with Bock or Patterson.

18 hours ago, El Boricua said:

for anyone that may be interested, the WWC Aniversario 50 show is tonight at 8pm and will be available live on Fite.tv in both Spanish and English commentary. The event is dedicated to the founders and pillars of the company and to the fans of Puerto Rico.

good looking out, i will try to catch this at some point

20 hours ago, Infinit said:

Inoki and Baba.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2023 at 8:08 PM, Infinit said:

Edge and Christian.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2023 at 3:08 PM, Infinit said:

I'd say the Shield would be the kings of such a category.

• Like 4

When I was nine, I met Davey Boy Smith at an autograph signing and I was really stuck for conversation filler while he signed my figurine so I asked if he used the running powerslam as a finishing move as it looked like a dog burying a bone.

He looked at me really quizzically like this question hurt him to think about and then told me I was a fookin idiot.

I remembered this experience when Shawn Michaels came to a Toys R Us in Australia three years later and just bowed my head and held out the store provided 8 by 10 for him to sign.

I think he thought I was non verbal so he handed me an action figure still in the box instead.

I found that action figure today clearing out some boxes. 

Davey Boy Smith was right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 21

If Human Tornado didn't get that serious knee injury,  you gotta think he'd be one of the top guys in AEW or atleast in a big non inring position there like Excalibur. He was such a big name in the So Cal indies that he would been a part of the foundation of AEW. I could also have seen him in NXT in the mid 2010s when they were picking up Indy talent left and right 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

If Human Tornado didn't get that serious knee injury,  you gotta think he'd be one of the top guys in AEW or atleast in a big non inring position there like Excalibur. He was such a big name in the So Cal indies that he would been a part of the foundation of AEW. I could also have seen him in NXT in the mid 2010s when they were picking up Indy talent left and right 

Larry Sweeney vs Orange Cassidy would have been beautiful. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Ziggy said:

There's a reason why promotions stopped using him, and it has nothing to do with a knee injury

• Like 1