DVDVR Message Board

AEW - April 2023

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Getting rid of the three letters that have any value, what business geniuses. 

I know, it’s hilarious how much they’ve butchered warners prestige already, and there are a bunch of headlines joking about how the prestigious shows of HBO will finally be joining up with Dr Pimple Popper. 

But what the article goes into is that hbo has one of the lowest amount of time spent on the app per user compared to the other streaming services. Hbo viewers go in, watch their must see show, and then don’t go in the rest of the week. They frame reality tv as more passive viewing, where people watch hgtv or whatever while folding the laundry. WBD is hoping the addition of that type of content will get people on the app two, three or four times per week. 

To me, this is absolutely where aew could hold huge value for them. I wouldn’t be shocked if we get a good announcement tomorrow from the aew side, or a mention of it during the Max presentation. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I know, it’s hilarious how much they’ve butchered warners prestige already, and there are a bunch of headlines joking about how the prestigious shows of HBO will finally be joining up with Dr Pimple Popper. 

But what the article goes into is that hbo has one of the lowest amount of time spent on the app per user compared to the other streaming services. Hbo viewers go in, watch their must see show, and then don’t go in the rest of the week. They frame reality tv as more passive viewing, where people watch hgtv or whatever while folding the laundry. WBD is hoping the addition of that type of content will get people on the app two, three or four times per week. 

To me, this is absolutely where aew could hold huge value for them. I wouldn’t be shocked if we get a good announcement tomorrow from the aew side, or a mention of it during the Max presentation. 

That very accurately describes me with HBOMax. I get HBO and the streaming free as a DirecTV and ATT customer and the only time either myself or my wife used the app in the past year is The Last of Us. Meanwhile, she is on Peacock and Hulu all the time for reality shows while I'm watching old territories on Peacock or have cable on in the background.

• Like 1

They’re are also going to offer a lower priced, ad supported tier, like Peacock. I’m feeling really optimistic after being so down ever since this merger debacle began. The presentation tomorrow isn’t supposed to be as big and glamorous as Disney and Apple went when they announced their platforms, because this is simply merging things that already exist. But it’s supposed to me an hour long and they will be making some announcements about tv shows and movies. It’s a good sign. 

• Like 1

Two good signings I think.

Starkz is gonna be super good when she finishes maturing physically (in the sense of adding more muscle mass and improved coordination through reps) and gets to work with all the pros in AEW/ROH.

I'm one of the few Brian Cage fans here, but I think this version of the Embassy is a great heel stable for ROH and if he moonlights as Swerve's muscle, that's a big step up from Parker Boudreaux and that tattooed guy who may or not have ever wrestled before.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I just hope that Parker Bordeaux and tattoo dick face have been written off for a long, long time. 

I’m paralyzed with all the opportunities now that “Tattoo Dick Face” was said. So many zinger and meme possibilities but I’m letting a ripe moment like this slip through my fingers. I am so happy this exists but have failed to live up to this moment. I am sorry everyone.

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I just hope that Parker Bordeaux and tattoo dick face have been written off for a long, long time. 

10 hours ago, Octopus said:

I’m paralyzed with all the opportunities now that “Tattoo Dick Face” was said. So many zinger and meme possibilities but I’m letting a ripe moment like this slip through my fingers. I am so happy this exists but have failed to live up to this moment. I am sorry everyone.

https://i.imgur.io/Db68D3F_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I heartily await the "WBD values Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai more than AEW" articles.

Well, I mean one was described as “funny without being super silly, cute without being overly childish, and it knows how to build tension and even be scary for young audiences,” by SlashFilms.com while the other has Brian Cage. Can you really blame WBD?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Two good signings I think.

Starkz is gonna be super good when she finishes maturing physically (in the sense of adding more muscle mass and improved coordination through reps) and gets to work with all the pros in AEW/ROH.

I'm one of the few Brian Cage fans here, but I think this version of the Embassy is a great heel stable for ROH and if he moonlights as Swerve's muscle, that's a big step up from Parker Boudreaux and that tattooed guy who may or not have ever wrestled before.

I'm fine with Cage in his current role.  He's a great meathead midcard goon.  Just don't try to make him more than he is.

Billie and Willow would be a great tag-team if AEW ever does a women's tag division.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Well, I mean one was described as “funny without being super silly, cute without being overly childish, and it knows how to build tension and even be scary for young audiences,” by SlashFilms.com while the other has Brian Cage. Can you really blame WBD?

I'm suddenly excited about a cross promotion match with Orange Cassidy and Brian Cage dressed in a giant Gremlin outfit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1