DVDVR Message Board

April 2023 Wrestling Discussion

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It was 86 or 87 when you had Kris (Von) Colt in Continental carrying around the Nazi flag and I think Ron used the Stormtrooper in USA wrestling in 88. 

Yeah, I happen to watch one of those episodes from Continental not too long ago. That was weird.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am halfway joking but keep in mind that Paul Ellering during the original Legion of Doom in Georgia with Jake and all those guys would casually compare the rise of his stable to the rise of Adolf Hitler.

That's fucking wild.

Paul Ellering thinks to himself "What would Gary Hart say in this situation?" before deciding to compare later-years Georgia Championship Wrestling to Weimar Germany

Semi-related: if you think about it... pretending this is all real, wouldn't two tough guys from Chicago like the Road Warriors be on the radar of someone from Chicago like Gary Hart? Plus Gary would never have to bump if he worked as a manager for two guys that won all their matches in 45 seconds.

13 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Paul Ellering thinks to himself "What would Gary Hart say in this situation?" before deciding to compare later-years Georgia Championship Wrestling to Weimar Germany

Semi-related: if you think about it... pretending this is all real, wouldn't two tough guys from Chicago like the Road Warriors be on the radar of someone from Chicago like Gary Hart? Plus Gary would never have to bump if he worked as a manager for two guys that won all their matches in 45 seconds.

That reminds me that last week (or the week before) I fucked up and watched the wrong territories back-to-back which led to me watching multiple Great Kabuki matches in a day. I need to preview what I watch going forward.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hulk Hogan stopping the Third Reich is a level of ego no wrestler would have had before or since.

There has to be a pretaped local promo of Hogan claiming to have brought down Hitler, Goebbels, and Himmler out there that just hasn't seen the light of day.

And when I slam him, brother, and the earth opens up, from Hamburg to Leipzig, brother, thank God Count Von Stauffenberg's a Hulkamaniac, he's gonna latch his family on to die Grosserarmen in die Welt und in Sicherheit schwimmen, Brüder, an dem Bauch auf Das Hülkster.

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

When someone went to oldprisonstockfootage.com, shouldn't the first thing they do is try to parse out stuff like that? Keep in mind, they have been using old time footage for decades now (especially for like Armageddon named or themed PPVs) with random despots where it probably warrants that. I always wonder if some of that footage is above board. This is the first time I remember them getting in hot water in like 25 years of doing that.

I remember years ago them using old black and white footage of marching armies, tanks, bombs exploding etc.  I feel like they might have even thrown in Stalin, Mussolini or a lesser known dictator like Tito in there

It should be fairly easy to figure out where in the chain of command Auschwitz footage got into one of their video packages if they actually investigate it.  They have access to all sorts of general use libraries to cull clips from.  Did it get snuck into one of those as general prison stock footage?  That's the best case for WWE covering their asses.  I think more likely it was deliberate by someone.   Maybe a 4chan chud in their video editing department who thought he'd be cute and snuck it in there for the lulz, much like the people who flash the "WP" and claim plausible deniability.  In either case I do find it easy to believe it could be snuck past whoever in the company watches these videos and approves them before they hit the air.

I doubt we'll ever find out how it really happened and I don't expect much fallout ultimately, but I'm kind of fascinated by this

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Goitre said:

"the great poor swim into the world and to safety, brothers, on the stomach on Das Hulkster"?

Hogan's German hasn't been as crisp since The Undertaker broke his neck with that Tombstone in 1974.

• Haha 4

You know, when I was in high school, Hitler approached me, brother, with an idea that I would be his chief propaganda officer. And I had to consider it, jack, because y'know, everyone was talking about it, and all my friends and family were like "yeah you should totally get in on the ground floor", but I just had to stick with school and my band. 

Then before you know it this Goebbels dude is out there, and everyone is just wow, man, they couldn't believe it. And I'm getting all these calls saying brother, that could have been you up there, and you know, I would have been on top a lot longer than just one day.

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

After the Gunther mini fiasco they really don’t get any rope with stuff like this

Don't forget JBL goose-stepping around a ring in Germany way back when. 

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

It was 86 or 87 when you had Kris (Von) Colt in Continental carrying around the Nazi flag and I think Ron used the Stormtrooper in USA wrestling in 88. 

If you're going to impersonate a Nazi, '88 is a good year to do it.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

I remember years ago them using old black and white footage of marching armies, tanks, bombs exploding etc.  I feel like they might have even thrown in Stalin, Mussolini or a lesser known dictator like Tito in there

It should be fairly easy to figure out where in the chain of command Auschwitz footage got into one of their video packages if they actually investigate it.  They have access to all sorts of general use libraries to cull clips from.  Did it get snuck into one of those as general prison stock footage?  That's the best case for WWE covering their asses.  I think more likely it was deliberate by someone.   Maybe a 4chan chud in their video editing department who thought he'd be cute and snuck it in there for the lulz, much like the people who flash the "WP" and claim plausible deniability.  In either case I do find it easy to believe it could be snuck past whoever in the company watches these videos and approves them before they hit the air.

I doubt we'll ever find out how it really happened and I don't expect much fallout ultimately, but I'm kind of fascinated by this

A general rule of mine is "Don't attribute something to malice that can just as easily be attributed to stupidity".

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

some say that the force of Hulk Hogan slamming Andre the Giant caused the Berlin Wall to fall

It's hard to prove, but the reverberations of the tremors took from 87 to 89 to reach Berlin, so it will always be in the conversation, albeit there will never be an unanimous agreement on that one.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, sabremike said:

A general rule of mine is "Don't attribute something to malice that can just as easily be attributed to stupidity".

This is why so many people get away with malicious actions. There is a book called Racism Without Racists that breaks down how we pretty much all recognize racism,  but calling someone a racist is frowned upon,  so we never actually hold anybody accountable for their racism. We sit around wondering if this person who did something blatantly racist is a racist in their heart instead of actually addressing their actions. And then start all over again when someone inevitably does the exact same thing. They put photos of fucking Auschwitz into a fucking wrestling vignette, it doesn't matter if it was malicious or stupid.  It is a completely inappropriate thing to do,  and we probably shouldn't give the fucking WWE of all people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to malfeasance.

• Like 11

16 hours ago, zendragon said:

After the Gunther mini fiasco they really don’t get any rope with stuff like this

Given that I'm not aware of this, I'm guessing it's not a dwarf GUNTHER.

12 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

... or a lesser known dictator like Tito in there

"Arriba, peasants!"

• Haha 6

26 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Random: just decided that “The Western Swing” would be a good finisher name for someone working in a tag team called the Texas Playboys.

A guy with a Nudie Suit singlet named Slam Parsons.  Finisher is obviously the flying burrito.

• Like 2

I have a AEW fantasy booking idea  I would like to share.

I don't think anyone will like it but here goes.

So you got this storyline at the moment with the 4 pillars of MJF, Darby Allin, Jungle Boy and Sammy Guavara.

What if they used this current storyline as a way of eventually forming a stable for the 4 and obviously call them the 4 Pillars.

You could start with Jungle Boy turning heel and helping MJF, then a few weeks down the road you have Sting go against MJF only to have Darby Allin turn on Sting and join MJF & Jungle Boy.

A few weeks after that you have MJF's stable go after the JAS. They have a big 6 man match only to have Sammy Guavara turn on Jericho and join MJF's group.

You could space it out into a big 3-6 month storyline and I do think that Jungle Boy and Darby Allin need a heel turn to freshen them up. 

Maybe a year on from that they could turn them all faces and we could finally have super babyface run for MJF.

20 minutes ago, Boydy said:

I have a AEW fantasy booking idea  I would like to share.

I don't think anyone will like it but here goes.

So you got this storyline at the moment with the 4 pillars of MJF, Darby Allin, Jungle Boy and Sammy Guavara.

What if they used this current storyline as a way of eventually forming a stable for the 4 and obviously call them the 4 Pillars.

You could start with Jungle Boy turning heel and helping MJF, then a few weeks down the road you have Sting go against MJF only to have Darby Allin turn on Sting and join MJF & Jungle Boy.

A few weeks after that you have MJF's stable go after the JAS. They have a big 6 man match only to have Sammy Guavara turn on Jericho and join MJF's group.

You could space it out into a big 3-6 month storyline and I do think that Jungle Boy and Darby Allin need a heel turn to freshen them up. 

Maybe a year on from that they could turn them all faces and we could finally have super babyface run for MJF.

I think MJF is gone early next year, so the priority is going to be having him put over a babyface on the way out. There's not enough time for something like this to happen.

I could see them reluctantly uniting to fight off an imperial threat from an outside faction of ex WWE guys like the Invasion storyline

Edited by Dolphman 3000