DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 3/31/2023

The Natural

It seems really unlikely that Supercard of Honor (main card starts at 9 am J-time) will finish before Rampage starts (11 am here). That seems kinda weird, Tony K competing against himself.

Wonder how many people are going to try splitting their attention between, say, a tablet and the TV during the overlap. 

I'm leaning strongly toward ROH (and Spring Break, starting at 12 noon here, which looks AMAZING) and catching Rampage later. Sorry, Lard Lad! Kingston vs CaesaROH is just too compelling a match-up!

And I am still reeling from the incredible contrast that was watching Bloodsport followed closely thereafter by the Impact vs Japan Multiverse show. Jeff Cobb was just as great in both of those settings as he was on Dynamite. And Marina was GREAT working straight shootstyle vs Killer Kelly! 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

It seems really unlikely that Supercard of Honor (main card starts at 9 am J-time) will finish before Rampage starts (11 am here). That seems kinda weird, Tony K competing against himself.

Wonder how many people are going to try splitting their attention between, say, a tablet and the TV during the overlap. 

I'm leaning strongly toward ROH (and Spring Break, starting at 12 noon here, which looks AMAZING) and catching Rampage later. Sorry, Lard Lad! Kingston vs CaesaROH is just too compelling a match-up!

And I am still reeling from the incredible contrast that was watching Bloodsport followed closely thereafter by the Impact vs Japan Multiverse show. Jeff Cobb was just as great in both of those settings as he was on Dynamite. And Marina was GREAT working straight shootstyle vs Killer Kelly! 

Spring Break is worth it just for Vikingo/Bailey alone. That's going to be insane.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gordlow said:

No need to apologize for missing Lard Lad. You can see him fight Willie Mack on the Zero Hour.

• Like 2

SO much wrestling today!  Lemme BULL THROUGH THE RAMPAGE!  KONOSUKE TAKESHITA AGAIN!  It's a big Lard Lad night!  Sammy Guevara is a HEAT MACHINE!  Soup does some SPORTS ENTERTAINING!  Tay Melo punches Takeshita in the face TWICE!  BRAINBUSTER by Takeshita!  GREAT German Suplex from his knees!  INTO A LARIAT!  BLUE THUNDER BOMB after kind of ignoring a CAnadian Destroyer!  PEE, MATT D, PEE!  AVALANCHE THINGY!  LARIAT! FOR TWO!  Tay distracts Soup and Sammy hits the GTH!  That was good!  QTV!  DIRT SHEET DRIVER!  He owns up to stealing it from Kenta Kobashi!  HOUSE OF BLACK crush the Best Friends!  Trent gets in a Double Knees to the head of Malakai Black!  Black has good punches.  Brody King destroys Trent!  Malakai destroys Chuck!  Oh man, now I want to see Malakai Black versus Shibata now that Shibata dream matches are a thing.  Trent makes a COMEBACK!   DDT!  TOPE CON HILO!  Brody King is so fucking awesome.  CHUCK GOES THROUGH A TABLE!  They set-up HOB vs BF!  HOB! HOB! HOB!  When is Shane Taylor getting back together with Keith Lee?  It's Marina Shafir.  It looks like she had a hoot of a match with Killer Kelly at Bloodsport.  It's Taya Valkyrie!  She STILL is wrestling with MLW for a while.  I await her match with Tootie Lynn!  It's Tootie Lynn!  Marina Shafir gets in lots of stuff before Taya takes her to the ROAD TO VALHALLA!  This set up for Taya vs Jade is coming along swimmingly.  ANNA J vs Julia Hart is AWWWESOME!  Ann J speaks of a PHAT ASS AND A BAD ATTITUDE!  She is a redneck dream.  Action Andretti and Juice Robinson are the MAIN EVENT!  ROCK HARD!  I assume Juice will make Andretti look like a million bucks.  And he DOES!  Juice Robinson is awesome.  Andretti makes a big comeback and Juice SHINES HIM UP~! Then breaks his skull!  That was fine.  OH MY GOD!  I HAVE OVW to FAST FORWARD THROUGH!  When you are HARDCORE like I am, THE WRESTLING NEVER ENDS!  AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DEAN said:

INTO A LARIAT!  BLUE THUNDER BOMB after kind of ignoring a CAnadian Destroyer!  PEE, MATT D, PEE!  AVALANCHE THINGY!  LARIAT! FOR TWO!

I appreciate the trigger warning. They can do stuff like that but doing it too much makes things like Eddie’s one count kick out after the Neutralizer mean less. You save no selling for when it really really matters, not for a throwaway match on the least watched Rampage show imaginable.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They open with the best match on the card and it delivers. Sammy’s heeling keeps Soup’s bombs from dropping all at once. Sammy didn’t base well for the dove, you’d think he’d have learned. Not a clean win, but one of these days they needs to give Takeshita a big TV win.

Poor Hobbs. I’ll never see anything storyline-wise for him. QT latching onto Hobbs’ heat sure is something.

HoB vs. Best Friends was pretty good, always enjoy seeing King and Trent and Malakai not doing the mist makes me dislike him a little less and I do enjoy hIs various kicks and knees. Interesting to have a DQ given the kind of outside the ring stuff that usually is allowed.

Marina is interesting because she is going to wrestle an awkward shootstyle and force her opponent to carry her through a match and force her into positions. So yeah that match kinda sucked. I guess Taya and Jade will be good.

Screech vs Flip Twisterson could headline any high school gym and community center in the country! Probably best left for a Dark main event. There was nothing wrong with it, but it wasn’t the least bit interesting.

I laughed at Anna Jay’s “I have a fat ass and a bad attitude” because I’m not sure either of those is true.

• Like 3

Still not sure how Best Friends won by DQ though. Trent hit Malakai with a chair and some how they won by DQ because of that??? 🤔🤔🤔. Chuck was put through a table which happens quite frequently tbh. Example Punk vs Wardlow. One of the AEW refs was just on Twitter a few days ago saying it wasn't a dq unless they hit a competitor with a table.

On 4/1/2023 at 6:45 PM, zendragon said:

I agree with JR regarding the WT stuff

I liked HOB as total ass kickers

not sure what Marina was going for with what looked like rolling around holding hands, looked like she covered Taya’s mouth to stop her from laughing 

Marina Shafir's gimmick of soccer mom who shows up to roll at her son's Wednesday night beginners BJJ class is something. That's a very unique gimmick. Rather bland and also fitting, but very unique.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Marina Shafir's gimmick of soccer mom who shows up to roll at her son's Wednesday night beginners BJJ class is something. That's a very unique gimmick. Rather bland and also fitting, but very unique.

Shafir has big Sid equals Volk Han energy in squashes but I’m not sure it’ll ever translate to actual matches.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Shafir has big Sid equals Volk Han energy in squashes but I’m not sure it’ll ever translate to actual matches.

She just has to wrestle ATHENA every time.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, wpdougie2180 said:

One of the AEW refs was just on Twitter a few days ago saying it wasn't a dq unless they hit a competitor with a table.

Yes, as far as I'm aware that's been the general principle since the '80s at least. You can hit an object with your opponent, but you can't hit your opponent with an object.

Took me a sec to get to this episode. There was some fun stuff in here. Takeshita-Sammy, dug the House and Best Frenz. I think inside I felt a pop for the DQ! Still can't understand the silliness of Garcia going over Brody after all the positioning work over the past month, but I guess it's best to just move on. Taya-Marina was weak. I was hoping Marina could parlay the goodwill Mox set upon her in his recent 'Session'. I couldn't get into Juice-Andretti, but it was perfectly fine. Highlight here for me was Anna Jay's firey promo. Anna might just be a big shining star yet. 

• Like 2