DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

51 minutes ago, elizium said:

Turner clearly hates AEW and can't wait to be rid of it. Pretty soon TK is going to be negotiating with CornCob TV in order to keep AEW afloat

Another way to look at it - Warner Bros. Discovery could have told Tony they can't justify a rights increase because AEW doesn't produce enough weekly programming compared to other sports leagues, so now Tony is compensating by giving them more content

Quantity over quality - especially with one man booking 10 hours of content per week - isn't an optimal situation

• Like 1

Just now, Dolphman 3000 said:

Another way to look at it - Warner Bros. Discovery could have told Tony they can't justify a rights increase because AEW doesn't produce enough weekly programming compared to other sports leagues, so now Tony is compensating by giving them more content

Quantity over quality - especially with one man booking 10 hours of content per week - isn't an optimal situation

The best case scenario here is we've got a 1999/2000 WCW Saturday Night situation where a modern day Jimmy Hart's got his own universe on one show.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Sure, but even if I go along with this scenario, that still means WBD is happy with AEW and wants to continue the relationship and have their product (I hate myself for saying that) on their channels. Tony can’t just magically say “okay I’ll make another show” and have it magically appear unless WBD gives them a place for it. 

As for TK’s booking, that’s a completely different issue than people going “AEW’s ratings are in the toilet, WBD is sure to kick them to the curb.” While not everything lands for me and I can armchair quarterback things I wish they’d do, I’m optimistic about a Saturday show if it happens. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, porksweats said:

The best case scenario here is we've got a 1999/2000 WCW Saturday Night situation where a modern day Jimmy Hart's got his own universe on one show.

Stokely’s Saturday Night Cookout 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

another show? ugh. between Dynamite and Rampage, i don't have time to watch any more AEW every week. hell, i'm interested in ROH but can't find the time to watch that. This new show has very little chance that i will tune in. 

happy for everyone that can watch.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Infinit said:

I mentioned this in the monthly thread but I thought I'd drop this here as well. I got a VIP ticket to Dax Harwood's show in LA on the 30th! It's going to be Dax with Cash, Spears, Wardlow and Hobbs. Super pumped. Does anyone have any burning questions for me to ask during the Q&A and afterparty?

Yes! Get Dax to spill the beans about how they came up with the end of their match against Waves and Curls.

• Like 3

This will be the sixth AEW show WBD pick up. Dynamite, Rampage, Battle of The Belts, All Access, Collision, Rhoads To The Top.

There's no justifiable way to say WBD are looking to get rid of AEW. They are ordering more more more shows from them. And I totally get why. We can micro-analyze the ratings every week til we are blue in the face. But the price point (even factoring in a fee increase) is still better than first run scripted television and even sports. What's the deal as of now? It's like 43million a year? Divided by a lottttt of hours of TV. Wy better value for WBD than paying for expensive scripted shows.

It's a good fit. I know that crushes a lot of poster's narratives. But it's a good match that is going to continue for years to come.

For me, it's just too much. I'm not going to watch all of it. I'm going to watch Dynamite and continue to DVR the rest of the shows and will check out the stuff that gets good reviews or just skip it. More wrestling programming is a good thing for AEW's health. But at a certain point it tips and there's just too much and I lose interest. And that's where we are at. But that's just me.

• Like 7

Sorry to double post but I just realized exactly how much TV AEW are producing and it's mind boggling.

-AEW Dynamite -2 Hours
-AEW Rampage -1 Hour
-AEW Dark -1.5 Hours
-AEW Elevation -1.5 Hours
-AEW All Access -1 Hour
-AEW Collision -1 Hour
-ROH Weekly TV -2 Hours

-AEW Battle Of The Belts -1 Hour per quarter

-8 PPVs a year now counting Forbidden Door & ROH -4 to 5 Hours Each

If TK really is booking it all he's going to burn out. I believe Shawn Dean & QT do the booking for Dark & Elevation at the very least. But still. Just SO MUCH CONTENT. too much for one man, or even one team. It's even more than WWE is producing per week.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

If TK really is booking it all he's going to burn out. I believe Shawn Dean & QT do the booking for Dark & Elevation at the very least. But still. Just SO MUCH CONTENT. too much for one man, or even one team. It's even more than WWE is producing per week.

And the house shows haven't even started yet

He needs to start trying out bookers/writers - failing to delegate responsibility is what sinks most businesses

Tony said he's happiest booking ROH since he doesn't have TV constraints - maybe let Jarrett book Collision and Rampage so Tony can focus on Dynamite and the Universal tapings

• Like 2

Dynamite: Nitro/Smackdown, TK can keep booking it, focus on world, TBS, trios title 

Rampage: ECW on TNN, let Jericho book it, focus on TNT, women’s, tag titles

Collision: Studio wrestling show, let Schiavone book it, international title

Dark / Elevation: WWF Superstars / WCW Pro, QT can keep booking it 

House shows: Jarrett will book it

ROH: TK keeps booking it for now with a handoff to Kingston down the line 

Booking committee: Khan, Jericho, Schiavone, QT, Kingston, JJ, JR

Make a reality show + podcast out of the committee meetings 

• Like 1

Thats not how this works tho. To construct a coherent story weaving through multiple television programs you don't outsource the writing for the other shows to someone else. For instance let's just use MJF vs Danielson here. Say TK has the book for Dynamite. He's doing the run the gauntlet gimmick. But Jarrett has the book for Collision. And Jarrett just does his own story for MJF & Danielson that doesn't fit the narrative.

You can't really farm out entire TV shows like that. Now your greater point tho if TK delegated hat he would be booking the world title, the womens world title and the tag title programs, then he delegated Trios, TNT, & TBS to someone else, then delegated International and the non title women to someone else. And Drak / Elevation & under card men to someone else. That's a structure that could possibly work.

I just think TK is very picky & very controlling. And I get it. Vince is that way too. Nothing got on TV without his approval. It's like it takes a certain personality type to get this kind of venture to the dance. But once you're at the dance, that same personality type is a detriment.

Personally I wish he'd structure the booking somewhat like I laid out. And just straight up separated ROH and let someone like Dustin Rhoads or Christopher Daniels book that. I just don't think that's in the cards tho.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I just think TK is very picky & very controlling. And I get it. Vince is that way too. Nothing got on TV without his approval. It's like it takes a certain personality type to get this kind of venture to the dance. But once you're at the dance, that same personality type is a detriment.

Before the Attitude Era it was Vince and Pat booking everything a year ahead of time - they would sit down at Vince's house and write down "the bible" as an outline of how the next year of TV/PPV should go. But back then there were only quarterly PPVs, one hour of consequential television a week with Superstars (two when RAW came around), and the rest were all recap shows or squash-match shows like Challenge.

Once RAW expanded and PPVs became monthly, Vince had no choice but to hire more help. He wasn't insane. You can still be the final word of approval without having to come up with every creative idea yourself.

Edited by Dolphman 3000

22 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Thats not how this works tho. To construct a coherent story weaving through multiple television programs you don't outsource the writing for the other shows to someone else. For instance let's just use MJF vs Danielson here. Say TK has the book for Dynamite. He's doing the run the gauntlet gimmick. But Jarrett has the book for Collision. And Jarrett just does his own story for MJF & Danielson that doesn't fit the narrative.

You can't really farm out entire TV shows like that. Now your greater point tho if TK delegated hat he would be booking the world title, the womens world title and the tag title programs, then he delegated Trios, TNT, & TBS to someone else, then delegated International and the non title women to someone else. And Drak / Elevation & under card men to someone else. That's a structure that could possibly work.

Personally I wish he'd structure the booking somewhat like I laid out. And just straight up separated ROH and let someone like Dustin Rhoads or Christopher Daniels book that. I just don't think that's in the cards tho.

It really just depends on how the new show is set up. Dynamite/Rampage are a package deal right now no doubt, their bookings have to be in sync every week (along with the PPVs of course). But if the new show, just hypothetically, is set up on its own bubble then TK could hand that off to someone else to generally manage. By that I mean, if the Saturday show has just showcase matches with wrestlers that aren't being used on Dynamite/Rampage then TK could stay mostly hands off aside from looking over the sheet and approving. I doubt TK gets too into the weeds on the Youtube shows bookings either since its mostly squashes, again he may glance at it and approve but someone else is finding the local talent and booking the matches. I don't think we really know exactly how involved TK is on the youtube shows, they may already be heavily delegated.

But if they try to intertwine the Saturday show storylines with Dynamite and Rampage, I agree that would be a bit much for one person. He does have veterans in the back he trusts to various degrees though, just have to see how it shakes out.

• Like 1

I don't know what the optimal delegation of creative responsibilities would be. But if we're spit-balling names who might be in the mix, both Pat Buck and Sonjay were said to be helping Tony plan things out last summer along with QT. So they'd presumably be candidates for elevation. 

Sonjay already has the pencil. He's ready for the book. 

If it were it's own bottle city of Kandor show I would love it if Schiavone got the book, although he's probably already too busy. I've just always wanted a glimpse of what his vision for WCW was if Turner had given given him the job instead of the greasy guy.

• Like 2

This is a really pleasant surprise in the face of the constant drumbeat of negative wbd stuff. If they can get that 3x rights increase that will be so good for the industry. This has me hopeful. 

As far as me watching it, hopefully it has some type of twist rather than being rampage 2. I miss about half of rampage episodes and rarely bother to go back to watch on dvr. This would probably be similar. But as long as they are getting guaranteed cash to pump out more content, that’s a great thing. It’s an extra 3-4 tv matches per week to get more of the talent involved in something. 

Edited by matt925
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

If it were it's own bottle city of Kandor show I would love it if Schiavone got the book, although he's probably already too busy. I've just always wanted a glimpse of what his vision for WCW was if Turner had given given him the job instead of the greasy guy.

According to Schiavone, the whole reason why he didn't really go make a full effort for the job Bischoff eventually got (executive producer for TV) is he basically didn't have a vision. He didn't have the same ambition. That said, other than being a commentator, his responsibility was the weekend shows in terms of some of the production. It would be interesting if he ended up basically having the same responsibilities, but I don't see him really wanting to book.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Sorry to double post but I just realized exactly how much TV AEW are producing and it's mind boggling.

-AEW Dynamite -2 Hours
-AEW Rampage -1 Hour
-AEW Dark -1.5 Hours
-AEW Elevation -1.5 Hours
-AEW All Access -1 Hour
-AEW Collision -1 Hour
-ROH Weekly TV -2 Hours

-AEW Battle Of The Belts -1 Hour per quarter

-8 PPVs a year now counting Forbidden Door & ROH -4 to 5 Hours Each

Don’t forget those half hour hype shows for the PPVs, I wonder if the plan is similar to WWE and UFC flood the market to keep people from watching anyone else’s product