DVDVR Message Board

March 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

I mean if you are going to lose an AEW title everyone knows you are supposed to do it in a drunken haze at a restaurant.    these young kids today

By the way if people think this is a little harsh,   here is Samoa Joe to really pile on

Damn. I would expect that sort of top tier comment from Nyla Rose. Well done Joe.

• Haha 2

Third option: Moxley/Omega at Full Gear 2019. Or even Moxley/Omega in the Exploding Barbwire Deathmatch (which was really good, but tainted by the ending, which is a shame).

I love the pseudo-deathmatch stuff that Moxley does in AEW.

I just wish they used more barbwire than they do. The two things I hated about the Full Gear '19 and Revolution '23 matches was the underwhelming amount of barbwire, and in particular in the Omega match - the mouse trap board had them too spread out so it didn't get the impact they wanted.

KNFvLcJ.png&ehk=Cc05gDEC2H3yLyzrHKuQOFcR

That's from 19 years ago. Give me that instead of the three strands of barbwire we get now. C'mon, Moxley! The chair Mox used had more than the two boards. Maybe they overdid it on the chair and ran out, TK couldn't buy any more because he spent the remaining budget on the unnecessary mini-orchestra for MJF.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

I mean if you are going to lose an AEW title everyone knows you are supposed to do it in a drunken haze at a restaurant.    these young kids today

By the way if people think this is a little harsh,   here is Samoa Joe to really pile on

I initially read that as baclava (sp) and was very confused. 😀

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Which chaos did you prefer: Samoa Joe vs Darby Allin or Adam Page vs Jon Moxley?

I think I said it at the time and one or two may have agreed with me, but Joe vs Allin 3 felt like modern day Joe vs Necro. Just pure brutality where someone's career is getting shortened. While I fucking love that match, I don't feel like Page vs Moxley was going to chip away at either guy's career and it told a hell of a story with Hangman so I think I prefer that just because I've grown a little squeamish in my early 40s.

• Like 4

While we're talking about Mox, does anyone else get really strong Mitsuhiro Matsunaga vibes from him these days? That's gotta be one of his main influences. Personality wise he's Onita, but in-ring, my god, he's an American version of Matsunaga.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

While we're talking about Mox, does anyone else get really strong Mitsuhiro Matsunaga vibes from him these days? That's gotta be one of his main influences. Personality wise he's Onita, but in-ring, my god, he's an American version of Matsunaga.

I wanted heel “Stop the Moxley” a year ago. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Besides Danielson, it does seem like all involved in the Blackpool Combat Club are leaning heel more than ever. Claudio & YUTA in ROH are definitely heels, either by design or against their wills by virtue of who they're going to be facing soon. Maybe we'll get heel Moxley sooner rather than later, hopefully.

• Like 1

I don't think Danielson is in the BCC anymore. He hasn't been seen with them since a few weeks after Regal left AEW. No one from the BCC ever comes out to help Danielson and Danielson never comes out to help the BCC dudes. 

It wasn't said, but the vibe I got was that because Danielson stopped Moxley from killing Regal, that Danielson was excommunicated from the group.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Third option: Moxley/Omega at Full Gear 2019. Or even Moxley/Omega in the Exploding Barbwire Deathmatch (which was really good, but tainted by the ending, which is a shame).

I love the pseudo-deathmatch stuff that Moxley does in AEW.

I just wish they used more barbwire than they do. The two things I hated about the Full Gear '19 and Revolution '23 matches was the underwhelming amount of barbwire, and in particular in the Omega match - the mouse trap board had them too spread out so it didn't get the impact they wanted.

KNFvLcJ.png&ehk=Cc05gDEC2H3yLyzrHKuQOFcR

That's from 19 years ago. Give me that instead of the three strands of barbwire we get now. C'mon, Moxley! The chair Mox used had more than the two boards. Maybe they overdid it on the chair and ran out, TK couldn't buy any more because he spent the remaining budget on the unnecessary mini-orchestra for MJF.

The trade off is how gimmicked the barbed wire is. There weren't too many strands in Mox/Hangman, but at least a few of the barbs weren't filed down very much because you could see it actually cutting their backs, which isn't something you saw in early 2000s Foley matches. The real violence in that Foley/Orton match was the obscene amount of thumbtacks in the bag. I've always wondered if Orton (having no experience with tacks) looked at the bag before the show and thought that it wouldn't look good and needed more. It seemed like he had some real pause when he was actually laying out the tacks in the match before his famous bump.

Yeah, but right after the tacks bump they brawled backstage, disappeared for a minute, and then came back with zero tacks stuck in Orton. So he had them all pulled out without taking a single bump with them still in. 

It’s just a lack of commitment. Stolen valour.

19 minutes ago, AxB said:

Yeah, but right after the tacks bump they brawled backstage, disappeared for a minute, and then came back with zero tacks stuck in Orton. So he had them all pulled out without taking a single bump with them still in. 

It’s just a lack of commitment. Stolen valour.

Haven't watched that match in a while, but I thought they were focused on getting the ones out of his hands primarily during that dead time.

Edit: Also, whoever stole the gear Wardlow had at Revolution was doing him a huge favor.

Edited by Go2Sleep

Random thought: Re House of Black. There was something.. well.. not wrong, but perhaps not as great as it could be, then I realized what it was. All the members of the HoB are supreme ass kickers, but they need someone to talk the talk and let them walk the walk, if that makes sense.

Then it hit me what would make HoB more awesome.

Gary F'n Hart.

Can you imagine the promos he'd cut with the HoB behind him, menacing as hell (both Hart and the HoB looming?)

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Random thought: Re House of Black. There was something.. well.. not wrong, but perhaps not as great as it could be, then I realized what it was. All the members of the HoB are supreme ass kickers, but they need someone to talk the talk and let them walk the walk, if that makes sense.

Then it hit me what would make HoB more awesome.

Gary F'n Hart.

Can you imagine the promos he'd cut with the HoB behind him, menacing as hell (both Hart and the HoB looming?)

Hart would definitely come up with some great bullshit stories about traveling the world to find these guys. Stuff with them living on mountains with monks or fighting in illegal Taipei fighting rings or something.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Who gives a shit about Brian Cage?

That's his new catchphrase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Log said:

Hart would definitely come up with some great bullshit stories about traveling the world to find these guys. Stuff with them living on mountains with monks or fighting in illegal Taipei fighting rings or something.

Just imagining it:

"I went to Hong Kong. Home of some of the most brutal, sadistic people you'll ever meet. I tried to get two of them to fight Brody King and Buddy Matthews. To a man, these men, some of whom who wouldn't be scared of attacking the Devil on his throne if the money was right, didn't want anything to do with them. I thought that was the highest mark of respect. Respect that's lacking from the two Jacksons and one Kenny Omega. Let me tell you something, folks. If I knew that I was going to have a match with the House of Black, I wouldn't be hamming it up on no YouTube show! No sir. I'd be training, saying a prayer every night to God, and fillin out my will, because I know God don't like me that much to save me from the House of Black. So when the first bars of Carry On Wayward Son starts to play, that's the beginning of the end! Right There! That's the sound of the trumpet heralding Apocalyse. And you can't outrun the end, Elite."

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SirFozzie said:

Just imagining it:

"I went to Hong Kong. Home of some of the most brutal, sadistic people you'll ever meet. I tried to get two of them to fight Brody King and Buddy Matthews. To a man, these men, some of whom who wouldn't be scared of attacking the Devil on his throne if the money was right, didn't want anything to do with them. I thought that was the highest mark of respect. Respect that's lacking from the two Jacksons and one Kenny Omega. Let me tell you something, folks. If I knew that I was going to have a match with the House of Black, I wouldn't be hamming it up on no YouTube show! No sir. I'd be training, saying a prayer every night to God, and fillin out my will, because I know God don't like me that much to save me from the House of Black. So when the first bars of Carry On Wayward Son starts to play, that's the beginning of the end! Right There! That's the sound of the trumpet heralding Apocalyse. And you can't outrun the end, Elite."

Gary? That you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4