DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/30 - 2/5/2023

Dolfan in NYC

We don't have a thread for it yet (not saying we do)

But they have announced that men's Chamber match is for the US Title (which makes sense considering how many dudes hate Theory)

Qualifying matches start on RAW tonight

Seth Rollins vs Chad Gable

Baron Corbin vs Johnny Gargano

I'll create the EC thread later this week since the show is only a few weeks away.  

Anyway, it's also the 20th anniversary of Evolution, so expect plenty of vignettes.   

Seems like if Randy's ever coming back, now might be a good time. 

Just got out of surgery so I missed the first 40 minutes of so.  I saw the IYO SKY vs Candice LaRey and it was pretty good.  LaRey trained Britt Baker so it was a good indication of how WWE HOUSE-STYLE~! makes styles mesh, while Hayter and Storm are leading the charge differentiating the differences between Joshi and US style- so I'm assuming Baker vs Shida will start looking way more off kilter than this match did. Gargano leans into Corbin's very good offense like a champ!  Gargano has a comically unstiff offense but looks good coming from behind and pulling out the win.  RICK BOOGS!  Is really strong!  There is a lot of stuff I usually fast forward through so I have lots of time to call me wife, have my blood sugar checked (148!  That ain't good.  But I did have some cranapple juice POSTOP~!), watch BTE-  so thank you, WWE, for being the ANTI-RAMPAGE! You really give me time to get some stuff in.  HEY!  It's CHELSEA GREEN!  She's good!  Piper Niven is Piper Niven!  IT"S BattlARTS DOLPH ZIGGLER!  Mustapha Ali is a JERK to DOLPH!  It's BRONSON REED!  This would be a good RAMPAGE middle match.  Reed hits the Fat Boy Roll!  Ziggler gets in some stuff.  NICE Powerbomb by REED followed by his truly HELLISH Tsunami!  That was good.  Hey!  It's Carmella!  Asuka IS Gene Simmons! It's CODY RHODES!  It'd FINN BALOR!  Cody haits a Davey Boy Smith INVERTED Lateral Suplex!  Cody will now have eternel DDP ribs with his pec.  Cody beats up on the Judgement Day!  As we watch in picture in picture, one can assume something will start our next feud with Cody.  Maybe not.  Cody hits a SWEET Toprope Brainbuster!  A bit of Memphis punching section.  Cody Cutter for two!  Superkick for two!  EDGE is BACK!  SPEAR on Dom!  EDGE'S WIFE! BETH PHOENIX AND HER AWWWWESOME HAIR SPEARS RHEA!  LOCOMOTIONS CROSSROADS for the win!  That was GOOD!  Main event saves the episode from feeling like a midgrade episode of IMPACT!

• Like 9

Get well soon, DEAN.

If the Elimination Chamber was going to be used for a secondary championship, use it for the best one with the best wrestler, the WWE Intercontinental Champion, GUNTHER. GUNTHER vs. Sheamus vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Ricochet vs. Shinsuke Nakamura if he's cleared vs. Kofi Kingston. Rey Mysterio's injured unfortunately.

I prefer the EC to be used for the world titles and determining number one contenders to them like it's normally used since been added to the Road to WrestleMania. That's happening for the WWE RAW Women's Championship.

Rhea Ripley gets her win back from Charlotte Flair at WrestleMania XXXIX for the WWE Smackdown Women's Championship. Fucking stupid decision three years ago at WrestleMania XXXVI for Ripley to drop the NXT Women's Championship to Flair.

Edited by The Natural

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

Since I doubt the 2023 Ireland show will be taped/aired, hopefully Sheamus finally gets to win the IC belt against Gunther at Mania.

I'd rather see that than GUNTHER/Brock because of Brock's stale ass routine. GUNTHER drops the WWE Intercontinental Championship and then enters the world title picture.

Opening segment promo with Cody and Judgement Day was good. 

What I caught of Seth/Gable was good.

Io/Candice was pretty nice. Glad Io won.

Gargano/Corbin was better than expected with the two working well with each other.

Boogs/Miz was a decent return/reintroduction for Boogs.

Reed/Ziggler was fine but also weird since Reed has done nothing to really earn a title shot. 

Cody/Finn was good stuff, maybe MOTN. Dug Finn going after the pec and Cody sold well. The Judgement Day/Edge/Beth interference was all done well enough to not distract too much.

Not big on the men's EC match being for the IC belt. Would have preferred if it was for a shot at WM over the belt right now. Never was big on the title being on the line save when we actually had that big a feud going on. Still the participants are generally off to a good start. 

Rhea challenging Charlotte makes sense for the revenge aspect though I would have rather seen Rhea challenge Bianca as it feels more fresh.

The Women's EC participants are good choices. Curious to see who makes it in the final two spots. Feels like Raquel is the likely winner though whoever wins I kind of suspect Bianca is retaining at Wrestlemania.

Edited by Eivion

I worry that Rhea challenging Charlotte for the SD women's belt means that Judgement Day is about to meet the same fate The Hurt Business did, you get the main belt but the group that helped elevate you is left in the past. She might be switching brands, could take Dom with her to set up the Rey/Dom match and Edge has talked about having to kill his creation...

I'm shocked that it's Rhea/Charlotte and not Rhea/Bianca. Thought for sure they were saving Rhea/Bianca for this after Rhea got injured before they could run it at MITB last year and the brief little teases between them since while keeping them separate.  I'm intrigued as to who ends up getting Bianca now, I'm guessing it's whoever gets the last spot as I don't really see it being any of those announced, even though I would love either Liv or Raquel in that spot.

Thought the opening segment was good stuff and Cody did great.  IYO/Candice was solid, I continue to hope Candice gets a sustained bigger role and keeps on being featured, she kills it every time. 

• Like 1

I don't get why people think they are having Roman Reigns wrestle on two nights back to back. They didn't keep the title on Roman Reigns three years to do that. 

Cody wants the whole shebang. He's not settling for a split title.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, worldcupfever said:

Did anyone else catch the Young Rock clip during a commercial break on Raw where Pat Patterson introduces the Royal Rumble concept to Rocky Johnson (and possibly others) around the dinner table in like 1967?  Maybe I imagined the whole thing.

Yeah I saw that commercial last night. It was Pat sitting at dinner with Rocky and Peter Mavia. It was really revisionist history. But it's a sitcom so don't take it literally.

The Cody Rhodes promo, how I've missed thee. Not high-end Cody the way of the build to the early AEW Jericho bout, but solid none the less. I'm just so fascinated by Cody and his determination to be the top babyface. Maybe they won't boo him in WWE Universe, but I Do think they might.  Gable-Rollins is smooth as silk. I really hope Gable jumps ship at contract's end. Anyone know when that might be? Speaking of smooth as silk, It's Io SKY! Nice little bout here with steady LeRae. Corbin-Gargano was solid. Corbin is far better than the reputation that seems to precede him. Nice Rhea promo. Charlotte-Rhea! I'm in! MVP and Austin Theory duelling mics with a Lashley run, no thanks, skip on by, the POWER OF TAPE DELAY! Who is this Rick Boogz!? Good look, good promo, but can he work it in ring? I love Bayley. And I dig Lynch, but no fucking way am I gonna listen to this nonsense, skip on by, god bless the FFWD Button. I blame booking for the length of these verbal jousts. JONAH! I would've prefered an even more decisive squash over Ziggler. I really hope Big JONAH finds his way like he did briefly in New Japan. And Impact Wrestling for that matter. Balor-Rhodes was terrific. Tho fair protection of Finn, I'm not sure Cody getting a slight hand from Edge is a great way to build him as a world beater. Forget that, what an impressive looking hairdo Beth Phoenix sports. I loved seeing the awkwardness of Cody signalling favourably to Edge, and Adam's eyes being elsewhere, leaving lame duck Rhodes hanging. Cody is Judge Reinhold's Brad Hamilton in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Good show. It had to be to defeat Dark Elevation in this week's #MONDAYNIGHTWARS. 

Creeds vs. Indus Sher was solid but a little disappointing. Not the hoss warfare you would expect/hope for.

Indi/Zoey was a nice little match. Indi has been improving for months now with less flubs & somewhat tighter offense. She and Stark worked perfectly together. Kind of disappointed Indi lost, but Stark needed the win more. Also looking forward to Stark/Sol again.

Skipped a lot of the lead in segment to Wagner/Dijak, but I dug the bits I heard and the match itself was good stuff, easily the best guy have looked in NXT in a while. 

Axiom/Bate was awesome. Loved the chains, holds, and general back and forth in the later stages. Never saw their matches in NXT UK, but I really should go back and look.

Turner/Palmer was a decent showcase for both women. Was never super impressed with Turner during her Stardom run, and that hasn't quite changed ring wise, but I kind of love her character Feels modern and easily hateable. 

Gulak/Dempsey was the shorter, rougher, more grounded and way the hell less friendly version of Bate/Axiom. Not quite as good as the latter but was it good. 

The Isla/Alba vid was decent. Curious to see if Alba changes her look again as she undergoes whatever transformation Isla is performing. 

The Roxanne/Toxic interview was good. Roxanne isn't a great talker so having her just try to kick ass after Jacy was such a dick was the best move.

The triple threat tag was good. They had some neat moments and everyone looked good. Nice moment for Chase U in particular.

19 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Creeds vs. Indus Sher was solid but a little disappointing. Not the hoss warfare you would expect/hope for.

Indi/Zoey was a nice little match. Indi has been improving for months now with less flubs & somewhat tighter offense. She and Stark worked perfectly together. Kind of disappointed Indi lost, but Stark needed the win more. Also looking forward to Stark/Sol again.

Skipped a lot of the lead in segment to Wagner/Dijak, but I dug the bits I heard and the match itself was good stuff, easily the best guy have looked in NXT in a while. 

Axiom/Bate was awesome. Loved the chains, holds, and general back and forth in the later stages. Never saw their matches in NXT UK, but I really should go back and look.

Turner/Palmer was a decent showcase for both women. Was never super impressed with Turner during her Stardom run, and that hasn't quite changed ring wise, but I kind of love her character Feels modern and easily hateable. 

Gulak/Dempsey was the shorter, rougher, more grounded and way the hell less friendly version of Bate/Axiom. Not quite as good as the latter but was it good. 

The Isla/Alba vid was decent. Curious to see if Alba changes her look again as she undergoes whatever transformation Isla is performing. 

The Roxanne/Toxic interview was good. Roxanne isn't a great talker so having her just try to kick ass after Jacy was such a dick was the best move.

The triple threat tag was good. They had some neat moments and everyone looked good. Nice moment for Chase U in particular.

I was drifting in and out of this.  I'll watch it all tomorrow if ever get released from the hospital.  I thought they gave away the finish to the Perez/Toxic Attraction match.  Y'see, Roxanne is going to let them fight over the belt and then swoon pin one of them!  Because they're JERKS!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I was drifting in and out of this.  I'll watch it all tomorrow if ever get released from the hospital.  I thought they gave away the finish to the Perez/Toxic Attraction match.  Y'see, Roxanne is going to let them fight over the belt and then swoon pin one of them!  Because they're JERKS!

Definitely watch when you are more lucid. You should at least enjoy Bate/Axiom & Gulak/Dempsey.

As for Perez/Toxic, I assume Roxanne gives a decent fight before Toxic beats her ass but fucks up their given win by infighting. 

Edited by Eivion