DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

16 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Most in depth I've heard him go on the end of his time in TNA. Really good stuff. Pulled out the big guns for episode 100.

Totally agree. People talk for example about Bischoff’s business stuff, but to me that isn’t nearly as good. Not even close. You can tell that Bischoff was a production guy that ran a cost center inside of a large company, but Jarrett has started and run businesses. Stuff like EBITDA, cash flow, balance sheet is lost on Eazy E. Jarrett gets it.

• Like 1

Jarrett is honestly my favorite podcast going right now, and it's kind of even gotten me to like him in the ring. Bischoff's can be hot and cold too, but I also don't listen to anything outside the Conrad Thompson sphere. Had to quit listening to STWW a while back after Prichard came back to the WWE because it felt like he just wouldn't give away as much as he was prior. JR's is alright for passing the time, but second favorite behind Jarrett has to be Foley's. I love listening to him talk about almost anything.

• Like 5

Newest Talk is Jericho is an interview with Devin Bray, the promoter of Winnipeg Pro Wrestling. It’s not the only indie in Winnipeg, but it’s definitely the hottest, I go to all their shows and you need to buy the tickets for the next show as soon as they go on sale during intermission, because they will be gone by the next day.

Interesting look to running a modern indie and the logistics of getting talent in, especially with how isolated Winnipeg is (nearby Minneapolis is an 8 hour drive). Also being a relative outsider, as him and his partners were really just wrestling super fans (they were regulars at PCW shows going back like 15 years) and the balance between being respectful of wrestling tradition and also not being viewed as a money mark.

Release coincides with a show they’re having away from their usual home this Saturday, instead happening at the Manitoba Museum.

I love WPW, so it was a really interesting listen

• Like 4

On 4/4/2023 at 7:35 PM, Krone said:

Jarrett is honestly my favorite podcast going right now, and it's kind of even gotten me to like him in the ring. Bischoff's can be hot and cold too, but I also don't listen to anything outside the Conrad Thompson sphere. Had to quit listening to STWW a while back after Prichard came back to the WWE because it felt like he just wouldn't give away as much as he was prior. JR's is alright for passing the time, but second favorite behind Jarrett has to be Foley's. I love listening to him talk about almost anything.

Cosigned. Jarrett's is my favorite pod at the moment.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, elizium said:

Newest Talk is Jericho is an interview with Devin Bray, the promoter of Winnipeg Pro Wrestling. It’s not the only indie in Winnipeg, but it’s definitely the hottest, I go to all their shows and you need to buy the tickets for the next show as soon as they go on sale during intermission, because they will be gone by the next day.

Interesting look to running a modern indie and the logistics of getting talent in, especially with how isolated Winnipeg is (nearby Minneapolis is an 8 hour drive). Also being a relative outsider, as him and his partners were really just wrestling super fans (they were regulars at PCW shows going back like 15 years) and the balance between being respectful of wrestling tradition and also not being viewed as a money mark.

Release coincides with a show they’re having away from their usual home this Saturday, instead happening at the Manitoba Museum.

I love WPW, so it was a really interesting listen

I used to listen to Korba's UMFM show/podcast forever. 

Matt Koon went from William Regal to Dax Harwood. Pretty entertaining and unique hosts. Who do you think Matt Koon can pull next?

—-

IF THIS IS ANOTHER FAKE RETIREMENT….

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1

My wrestling podcast schedule is pretty much only McAdam on Fridays and BTS on Sunday Night/Monday Afternoon. There's a 5 hour 605 Opening Day Podcast from weeks ago and i'm not up to listen to them complain about the Pitch Clock or whatever the causes are for old-at-heart baseball fans in the Arcadian Vanguard universe.

20 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

My wrestling podcast schedule is pretty much only McAdam on Fridays and BTS on Sunday Night/Monday Afternoon. There's a 5 hour 605 Opening Day Podcast from weeks ago and i'm not up to listen to them complain about the Pitch Clock or whatever the causes are for old-at-heart baseball fans in the Arcadian Vanguard universe.

I really liked the 6:05 podcasts. A shame Last seems to busy to do them anymore. I really liked the Jerry Grey segments. 

I'd recommend Greg Kleins pod, which is a lot of 80s Houston and Mid South, but also his brief time working in the Alabama Indies in the 90s. He's also a Jerry Grey guy.

I'd also recommend Beaus pod, charting the territories and the Studcast, for your Non AV shows. 

45 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I really liked the 6:05 podcasts. A shame Last seems to busy to do them anymore. I really liked the Jerry Grey segments. 

605 sorta went deep into mission creep which probably made it even harder to do with his other stuff.

50 minutes ago, Matt D said:

That's something like eight other normal podcasts right there.

with 7 of them being BTS since McAdam is at least staying under 90 minutes most weeks.

19 minutes ago, Boydy said:

What was in this tweet as it has been deleted now.

What has happened please?

It was a screenshot these two tweets back to back in his feed. No idea why you'd delete that and leave everything else up.

Edited by John from Cincinnati

Weekly:

WrestleTalk (the AEW episodes)

FTR w/ Dax

Foley is Pod

Stories w/ Bradshaw and Briscoe

Depending on Guests or wrestling events

Sessions w/ Rene Paquette

Talk is Jericho

Instinct Culture by Denise Salcedo

Swerve City Podcast

Maybe bring back into the rotation

Arn

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

My wrestling podcast schedule is pretty much only McAdam on Fridays and BTS on up Night/Monday Afternoon. There's a 5 hour 605 Opening Day Podcast from weeks ago and i'm not up to listen to them complain about the Pitch Clock or whatever the causes are for old-at-heart baseball fans in the Arcadian Vanguard universe.

I was listening to McAdams podcast from this week today the topic is the AWA. I miss the 605 podcast. Brian Last doesn't do it to often. I guess because he has other podcasts on his Network. His main focus is Cornette.

Between the Sheets is on my rotation and The Lapsed Fan. I'm still catching on old episodes. It's not alot of peoples cup of tea especially if you don't like their Schick but it's entertaining enough to me because they make me laugh often and the information is really insightful 

Regarding Dax, the man cannot in the same podcast make jokes about putting himself over and then claim he could take Chad Gable, an Olympic level wrestler in an actual fight. I’ve got several BJJ teammates that were D1 wrestlers, any one of them would leave Dax in a pile of tears and regret.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Regarding Dax, the man cannot in the same podcast make jokes about putting himself over and then claim he could take Chad Gable, an Olympic level wrestler in an actual fight. I’ve got several BJJ teammates that were D1 wrestlers, any one of them would leave Dax in a pile of tears and regret.

I don't know anything about Dax's athletic background, but I don't think the average person knows anything about the level of misery that it takes to become a high level amateur wrestler.  If you haven't gone through that, you don't have it in you.  Therefore, you don't want to fight someone who has been through that.  If the fight is close, you'll break before they do.  If it isn't close, you are fighting someone who is used to beating ass until they're tired, and then pushing through to whoop some more ass.  I remember in high school, we had a safety who wrestled at 140-some lbs. and a defensive lineman who was 265+ and they got into an argument in the locker room.  The defensive lineman got up into the much smaller man's face and tried to intimidate him.  The safety put the defensive lineman on his ass in about 2 seconds and then it was time to teach a lesson.  The weight difference would have meant something if the defensive lineman had any idea how to wrestle, but he didn't.  He was a big strong kid, with seemingly all the advantages, until the fight started.  There is no bigger advantage in a fight than know how.  The little guy knew how to put someone on their back and keep them there, and the bigger guy didn't know shit.  So, don't fuck with wrestlers if you can't wrestle, it will not end well for you.

• Like 7