DVDVR Message Board

2023 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Gonzo

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Torontonians, 

I just saw Bob MCown was in the hospital and in poor shape. Any public details? I stopped listening to 590 a few years ago. 

Not much more than what has been reported, which is that he suffered from 2 strokes and at the moment he cannot walk or speak. He has been tweeting, and is ready to fight to regain his speech and motor skills. Bobcat was always an outspoken, entertaining sports radio personality here over the years...I'm hoping he pulls through.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Skip Bayless is taking a couple of months off TV because he hasn't found a replacement yet for Shannon Sharpe.  

Tiny_violin_playing.gif

Can we make it a couple decades?

12 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Skip Bayless is taking a couple of months off TV because he hasn't found a replacement yet for Shannon Sharpe.  

Tiny_violin_playing.gif

There was a meeting at some point where someone at Fox Sports said, "Well, we could just have Skip do the show solo for a while." and everyone sat there quiet for a minute until finally, someone audibly shuddered at the thought and everyone laughed and said, "Oh, yeah. No! God, terrible idea."

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 1:16 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Poor Keyshawn. Was only a year into a 5/$18 million deal.

ESPN says it is going to honor contracts, so Keyshawn can either negotiate a buyout and go work somewhere else, or sit home and be paid by ESPN several more years.  I took most talent will end up negotiating buyouts.   Talent like Kellerman, Keyshawn, Van Gundy, etc. would probably be awfully attractive to someone looking to make a splash by hiring a big name (Fanduel, for example).

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And the New York Times has officially disbanded its sports department 

NYT is going to rely on The Athletic for its sports news. It's worth noting, the staff at Sports department at the NYT was unionized, The Athletic is not. 

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I also saw that apparently the LA Times has apparently shutdown their sports department too

Sort of.  They're no longer doing box scores, stats, game stories, or TV listings.  The reason being they sold off their printing presses and with the contracted printers there's a 3PM(!) press time.

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Sort of.  They're no longer doing box scores, stats, game stories, or TV listings.  The reason being they sold off their printing presses and with the contracted printers there's a 3PM(!) press time.

They should just be an evening edition paper, then.

In a typical Stugotz moment,  he thought he was interviewing Aaron Rodgers at the Lake Tahoe celebrity golf tournament.   In reality he was having an interview with country music star Jake Owen who from the looks of it his only resembling feature is his facial hair.  it is funny when you think that he always tries to tell us he is a Jets fan.  😁

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/stugotz-aaron-rodgers-jake-owen.html

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, hammerva said:

In a typical Stugotz moment,  he thought he was interviewing Aaron Rodgers at the Lake Tahoe celebrity golf tournament.   In reality he was having an interview with country music star Jake Owen who from the looks of it his only resembling feature is his facial hair.  it is funny when you think that he always tries to tell us he is a Jets fan.  😁

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/stugotz-aaron-rodgers-jake-owen.html

Stugotz is a moron, except their entire empire is his brain child.  From what I understand, LeBatard never even thought about doing radio until Stugotz pitched it to him.  If Stugotz doesn't stab his former employer in the back to start a new Miami sports radio station with LeBatard as the main drawing card, the show doesn't exist.  I don't think the show works with anyone else.  Stugotz being a moron, and LeBatard being utterly flabbergasted by his idiocy is the foundation the show was built on, and it doesn't work if Stugotz is not legitimately a complete moron.  Somehow the moron understood this from the beginning, and they're going on 20 years together.  He's also the single laziest employee ever, who never stops adding more work to his plate.  Nothing about him makes any sense, but he's probably my all-time favorite radio personality.