DVDVR Message Board

2023 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Gonzo

ASHBURN, Va. — A local radio personality was fired after making disparaging, sexist remarks about a sports reporter live on his show during Commanders training camp. 

WBIG "BIG 100" radio presenter Don Geronimo was let go Saturday after an internal review by parent company iHeart Radio. 

That's a name I haven't heard in a while (I used to listen to his show when it was Opie and Anthony-lite before I grew out of that, when it was syndicated).

I'm not shocked in the least that's what he ended up getting fired for.

Edited by Raziel

Mark Jackson is gone from ESPN.  Doc Rivers and Doris Burke will be joining Mike Breen as the NBA Finals booth.

ESPN is also going to let Bomani Jones go when his contract ends this month.

I liked Doc a lot during his brief stint calling games, including the finals, after Orlando fired him. Granted, some of that is probably tied up in that it was the year the Pistons destroyed the Lakers so maybe I would've liked almost anybody calling that finals. But I remember him being good at it. But that's his only experience ever calling games and it was twenty years ago.

On 8/2/2023 at 8:34 AM, hammerva said:

So Pat McAfee is learning this week that using Larry Nassar as a way to make fun of Michigan State fans might not be the best strategy anymore.  

Anymore?!?! There has never been one second where that could have been an abrogated joke. We went from never hearing his name,  to oh shit, that ain't funny at all. 

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Anymore?!?! There has never been one second where that could have been an abrogated joke. We went from never hearing his name,  to oh shit, that ain't funny at all. 

Pat McAfee is a name I'd be OK with never hearing again. 

• Like 2

There is a lot to unpack with this story including a random appearance of Roy Firestone

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/kevin-brown-baltimore-orioles-masn-suspension.html

(Basically the report is he is suspended because he read a graphic on air noting how shitty the Os had been previously against the Rays - the story has the clip.)

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Everything in that clip is… pretty normal and harmless. There has to be more to this, right? 

Yeah - John Angelos is as petty and small as his dad

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Richard Sherman will get paid to be permanently exasperated for the next year.  As he is joining the Skip Bayless Fun Time Party Hour on FS1.   

For the faintest of moments I thought that was the actual name of the show, then I was disappointed that it wasn't the name of the show, then I was disappointed in myself for falling for your BLATANT AND OBVIOUS TRICKERY, SIR.

Anyway, I give it six weeks.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

There is a lot to unpack with this story including a random appearance of Roy Firestone

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/kevin-brown-baltimore-orioles-masn-suspension.html

(Basically the report is he is suspended because he read a graphic on air noting how shitty the Os had been previously against the Rays - the story has the clip.)

Kevin Brown's time in re-education camp is complete.  His suspension will be lifted and he'll be back on the air on Friday. 

So Penn Entertainment is out of the Barstool game because now they are in the ESPN game and they don't need to deal with those assholes anymore.  So Barstool has what it really wants and that is full control,  ESPN probably has what they want and getting into the physical gambling game (maybe the return of the ESPN Zone 🤔  ) and Penn got a whole lot of shit

11 hours ago, elizium said:

If Portnoy ever sells again, 50% of any sale goes to Penn

Wait, they got out of Barstool while retaining half of any sale price in the future? That's a pretty damn good deal for them.

On 8/7/2023 at 9:21 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Richard Sherman will get paid to be permanently exasperated for the next year.  As he is joining the Skip Bayless Fun Time Party Hour on FS1.   

Looks like Rachel Nichols will as well.