DVDVR Message Board

2023 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Gonzo

42 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Barstool Sports is moving their corporate HQ to Chicago. So expect plenty more takes about how it's against the unwritten laws to like both the Cubs and Sox.

Until John Cusack checks that fool again just by standing up, anyway

• 3 weeks later...

Her statement in the article begins with her saying she’ll take responsibility for what she said, then immediately segueing into a diatribe about how she’s being unfairly singled out by people out to get her.

I don’t think she understands what “taking responsibility” actually entails. 

• Like 1

"Rivera attempted to apologize to Gaete, the wife of MLB VP of Communications John Blundell, but was spurned."

Very curious how she thought this whole thing was going to play out.

From the Washington Post story

In the course of MLB’s fact-finding, the league’s Office of Investigations made calls and received information both about the incident at Yankee Stadium and other reports about Rivera’s behavior, according to people who spoke to the league. The information that MLB collected was then shared with ESPN, according to a person with knowledge of the events. A member of ESPN’s human resources department then conducted a full investigation into the incident at Yankee Stadium. He spoke to several media members, and the company decided to part ways with Rivera. By Thursday, Rivera had disabled her Twitter account.

Multiple reporters described to The Post incidents involving Rivera that they said crossed the line from typical scrapping in America’s largest media market to creating a toxic work environment. Last year, she flipped off another reporter and called her a “white b----” after the reporter attempted to take a photo of a group of Hispanic players that Rivera was taking a picture of, according to two people who witnessed the incident. In another instance, she called a Latino reporter a “fake Hispanic,” according to multiple people who witnessed it.

“There were extenuating circumstances, but that is not an excuse,” Rivera said in an interview with The Post about those incidents. “I believe these are mischaracterizations of who I am. Disagreements between media members are part of the nature of our business and happen on a regular basis, yet I am being singled out."

• Like 1

Charly Arnolt/Caruso left ESPN for Clay Travis and his Outkick platform, because she has things to say about transgender athletes that ESPN would not let her say. 

https://twitter.com/McCannSportsLaw/status/1653571844564213760?t=xj6tLUcywJIaMDPvJc3nwQ&s=19

In a newly filed motion to dismiss, Pat McAfee argues Brett Favre's federal lawsuit against him threatens First Amendment free speech protections for sports media and that nothing McAfee said as a "comedic sports analyst and broadcaster" was defamatory:

15 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Glen Kuiper made an on air apology yesterday.  

Google to find out why!  

Or you could tell us that he was on air talking about his afternoon visit to the Negro League Museum and, instead of calling it the Negro League Museum, he used the other N-word.

See?  That wasn’t hard and involved not a bit of strum und drang.

Anyway, seemed like an unfortunate accident on Kuiper’s part.  He quickly apologized.  A’s haven’t announced any further discipline yet.

• Like 1

I posted this in the one baseball thread as well, but the president of the Negro Leagues Museum is calling for forgiveness

I'm aware of the unfortunate slur made by Glen Kuiper. I welcomed Glen to the NLBM yesterday and know he was genuinely excited to be here. The word is painful and has no place in our society. And while I don't pretend to know Glen's heart I do know that my heart is one of forgiveness. I hope all of you will find it in ourselves to do the same!

• Like 1

Not that it's surprising, but Jason McIntyre was on Cowherd's show today and gave the blaring dogwhistle about Chicago being a war zone. 

At least Colin told him to stfu with that.

Quality ESPN writing/editing:

Here we have an otherwise-blah article about Washington being sold, published or updated on May 12th in which they mention that Hendon Hooker is "scheduled for a visit" as a possible future Washington quarterback. 

Hooker was drafted by Detroit and signed a 4-year contract. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36179498/top-priorities-new-owners-dan-snyder-sells-washington-commanders

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

Quality ESPN writing/editing:

Here we have an otherwise-blah article about Washington being sold, published or updated on May 12th in which they mention that Hendon Hooker is "scheduled for a visit" as a possible future Washington quarterback. 

Hooker was drafted by Detroit and signed a 4-year contract. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36179498/top-priorities-new-owners-dan-snyder-sells-washington-commanders

I'm guessing they re-ran an article from when the Harris deal was first announced?

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

One of the 4 SI Swimsuit covers this year is ... Martha Stewart? 

If a tree falls in the woods and Martha Stewart is wearing a bikini under it,  will anyone notice? I feel like I haven't seen a single issue of Sports Illustrated in at least a decade.  They could have Nell Carter on the cover and I wouldn't know. If it sells an extra copy,  good for them,  the magazine business is the very opposite of booming.

On 5/13/2023 at 2:34 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I'm guessing they re-ran an article from when the Harris deal was first announced?

Hence why I mentioned editing. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/espn-lays-plans-to-stream-flagship-channel-eyeing-cable-tvs-demise-ad0fb727?mod=e2tw

ESPN is laying the groundwork to sell its channel directly to cable cord-cutters as a subscription-streaming service in coming years, according to people familiar with the matter, a shift with profound implications for the company and the broader television business.

Executives at ESPN and its parent, Disney, for years have said it was inevitable that the sports-TV channel would one day be available as a stand-alone streaming service. Now, as consumers increasingly cut the cable-TV cord, the company is actively preparing for that shift under a project with the internal code name “Flagship,” the people said. The company has set no firm timeline for the change.

ESPN would continue to offer the TV channel after launching a streaming option, the people familiar with the matter said. Still, the change could have a major impact on cable-TV providers, since ESPN is one of the main attractions of the cable bundle. The providers pay to carry the ESPN channel and would have to compete with the new streaming service. 

ESPN has begun securing flexibility in its deals with cable providers to offer the channel directly to consumers, the people said. The financial terms of those deals couldn’t be learned. The company is having similar discussions with pro sports leagues as those rights deals come up and has secured the same flexibility from at least two major leagues, the people said.

On 5/6/2023 at 5:54 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I posted this in the one baseball thread as well, but the president of the Negro Leagues Museum is calling for forgiveness

Update: he's been fired