DVDVR Message Board

2023 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Gonzo

One of the guys behind the Tuanon twitter account (an account dedicated to defending Tua from the shit he gets from the TV talking heads) was killed in a car crash earlier this week.  The family opened up a GoFundMe, which the Dolphins' QB donated $10,000 to.  

Well, Mike Florio and Chris Simms have a show together and when Florio brought up the GFM (for visibility)... Simms made the dude's death all about himself and says Tua was "bringing money to someone for being negative" and "what this says about society."

Simms really is just human garbage.  

On 6/8/2023 at 4:39 PM, odessasteps said:

A loose definition of great here.

Yeah, I wouldn't go that far.  That said, Neil is really, really good.

• Like 1

20 people lost their jobs (which the story says if 4% of the workforce). Another 100 are getting reassigned (basically either to more regional coverage as opposed to team specific or they will get general assignments)

The NFL and EPL drive the most interest to the site and will see the fewest changes. MLB and NHL were specifically mentioned as not getting as much attention so the changes will affect them most

For anyone that lived near the Pittsburgh area, local legend Stan Savran passed away yesterday.  Did play by play and/or post game/pre game shows  for the Steelers for a good decade after the days of Jack Fleming.    Worked with the Pitt Panthers from at least the Tony Dorsett days and many decades after that.  A stable on WTAE TV.   Between Myron Cope I am not sure if there is a bigger guy in Pittsburgh sports media.

Edited by hammerva
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

For anyone that lived near the Pittsburgh area, local legend Stan Savran passed away yesterday.  Did play by play and/or post game/pre game shows  for the Steelers for a good decade after the days of Jack Fleming.    Worked with the Pitt Panthers from at least the Tony Dorsett days and many decades after that.  A stable on WTAE TV.   Between Myron Cope I am not sure if there is a bigger guy in Pittsburgh sports media.

Savran never did regular play by play for the Steelers, just pre-season games when WTAE-TV had them, but he hosted pre and post game shows for all the Pittsburgh teams over the years. He was a great sports talk host be it radio or tv, hence him being on air from 1976 until 2023.

From the article - Tiki Barber is the leading candidate to replace him (Tiki would just move from mid-days to the afternoon show)

Also - Mike Francesa is not a candidate to return

But anyway - remember kids that severing time in Federal Prison is good for your career

Hey, Afternoon WFAN might be listenable now.  

I don't see giving a gambling addict whose addiction led him to prison a 7 figure deal is a good thing, but hey, not my money.

• Like 3

While LeBatard show has fallen really bad because of the number of people who are occasionally off,  this week  has been pretty hilarious watching former Marlins GM David Sampson getting verbally raped by almost everyone from Dan to  Michael Ryan to Michael Schur to even Brockmire.   Even Dan readily admits that one of his biggest issues is that Sampson is on the show frequently and most people hate him

https://awfulannouncing.com/meadowlark/michael-schur-david-samson-argument-dan-le-batard.html

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

While LeBatard show has fallen really bad because of the number of people who are occasionally off,  this week  has been pretty hilarious watching former Marlins GM David Sampson getting verbally raped by almost everyone from Dan to  Michael Ryan to Michael Schur to even Brockmire.   Even Dan readily admits that one of his biggest issues is that Sampson is on the show frequently and most people hate him

https://awfulannouncing.com/meadowlark/michael-schur-david-samson-argument-dan-le-batard.html

Samson is 100% the guy telling the emperor his new clothes are amazing.    He's a less funny Waylon Smithers.  He's what every bootlicker wishes to be.  

Fuck that guy.  

• Like 1

Now if they can get rid of Mark Jackson.   To me he was the real headache in that trio.  To me there was nothing worse than a blowout NBA game with those three as it was basically Mark Jackson and Van Gundy just making shit up to kill time.

• Like 1