DVDVR Message Board

December 2022 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, username said:

This was briefly touched upon by someone else but Sasha notably made the deal with the Star Wars people without looping WWE in until it was basically a done deal. There is a chance the relative lack of promotion was due to some sour grapes over that (I wouldn't be shocked) but it could just as easily be due to no actual relationship between the Star Wars folks (i.e. Disney) and WWE management existing to set something like that up. WWE has deals set up with NBC/Universal and Fox, it is entirely possible that any promotions for things produced by a direct competitor need to be very carefully negotiated and in that case this was what they came up with or felt it wasn't worth pushing for more.

FWIW no shade at Sasha for getting herself that role, respect the hustle.

WWE being petty over that if that is the case is more proof of my initial thesis.

10 hours ago, DJ Hero Morganti said:

Or dress as everyone but peacemaker, and just say he's there but you can't see him.

And everyone else can cut a promo on the stage next to a spotlight circle projecting the perfect silhouette Batman signal of Cena standing there saluting.  

Edited by Brandon Bones

16 hours ago, just drew said:

I’m not sure being the least shitty thing on wwe tv during that period constitutes being a draw, but since I’d rather not hear more tired talking points from the Stan’s about “Ronda’s best match (completely subjective & debatable)” and her “star power (being one of two cast members not asked back to the Mandalorian, with the other being a white supremacist),” I’ll let it lie. It just makes me chuckle to read about how much certain folks overvalue a decent wrestler/shitty promo because she calls herself “the botch.” Wait, I meant “the boss.”

So in other words, you haven't grown tired of being a hater ? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Saint Anger, I remember that being used for one of the PPV buildups. 

bro

do not spoil the crossword

I figured that out in two minutes

To give this post some actual meat on it, what's up with all the press and chatter I heard around this DPW 1st Anniversary show? North Carolina indie? Are they good or something? Somebody tell me.

22 hours ago, just drew said:

I’m not sure being the least shitty thing on wwe tv during that period constitutes being a draw, but since I’d rather not hear more tired talking points from the Stan’s about “Ronda’s best match (completely subjective & debatable)” and her “star power (being one of two cast members not asked back to the Mandalorian, with the other being a white supremacist),” I’ll let it lie. It just makes me chuckle to read about how much certain folks overvalue a decent wrestler/shitty promo because she calls herself “the botch.” Wait, I meant “the boss.”

Dear TK, please bring in Sasha as the third Young Buck. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, Log said:

Dear TK, please bring in Sasha as the third Young Buck. 

Damn, Log, you should change your name to "just mean"! Let's not say stuff we can't take back! You never know with TK, sometimes he gives you the weirdest wishes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Comedian said:

They sound satanic enough played forwards...

Funny story on that: even during the NWO, my immigrant, hardcore Catholic grandparents still rooted for Hogan whenever I'd watch at their house - solely because he was one of the only guys back then to wear a crucifix on TV

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Funny story on that: even during the NWO, my immigrant, hardcore Catholic grandparents still rooted for Hogan whenever I'd watch at their house - solely because he was one of the only guys back then to wear a crucifix on TV

Did you introduce them to Altar Boy Luke? 😬

• Haha 2

On 12/18/2022 at 3:12 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

So in other words, you haven't grown tired of being a hater ? 

Oh no, the fucking goof who thinks Wheeler Yuta is a waste of time thinks I’m a hater. Better a hater than a delusional Stan.

I don't think he's a waste of time, especially with a relaunch of ROH TV being around the corner, but Wheeler YUTA is as bland as a piece of toast. Honestly liked him way better as the unwanted (by Trent) member of the Best Friends.

Your daily reminder that the Best Friends are the most underrated and underutilized group in AEW and get no respect. It's basically a glorified Orange Cassidy entourage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

20 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Oddly my Catholic Nana would always ask if the Undertaker is wrestling.  She also would always remark that William Regal looked like an older version of my cousin Jason.  Man I miss her. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Oddly my Catholic Nana would always ask if the Undertaker is wrestling.  She also would always remark that William Regal looked like an older version of my cousin Jason.  Man I miss her. 

My great-grandfather, great-aunt, grandmother used to watch wrestling with me and my uncle when we were kids and it was funny to hear them talk about it. We watched JCP. They'd refer to the heels as "dirty men" and the good guys as "clean men". My great-aunt would always be like, "why ya'll root for them ol dirty men like Tully and Ric Flair? Why don't ya'll root for the clean men like Dusty and Wahoo? Ya'll too young to be rooting for them dirty men." And whenever someone cursed on tv, which back in those days was never worse than Dusty or Magnum saying, "damn" or "hell", my great-grandfather would say, "alright now, alright now sonny. You can't be saying that on the television!"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1