DVDVR Message Board

PAYBACK 2016

RIPPA

Man. I enjoyed AJ/Roman for what it was but they have a classic no frills match in them. The big fight atmosphere was there and the openong where Roman used his power to shut down AJ trying to go technical and AJ feeling Roman out to see what might work was amazing stuff. I was captivated. Generally loved Roman as the grumpy brutal power guy too. Tweener is a good look on him. 

Outside the obvious scare the first hour was terrific. KO/Sami was one I'll probably enjoy more on rewatch because of how rattled I was. IC title was the best Miz match in forever and the four way feud deal was great. Show dragged from there to the main event but nothing offensive. Super inpressed with the way Vince shut down the crowd's Punk chants and the What chants then drew out the classic boos he wanted. Damn slick work.

Good show in spite of the obvious scare.

Friend has an extra ticket to Raw, so guess I'm going to my first WWE live event in over five years tomorrow night. With the McMahon stuff going on, at least there'll be a guaranteed piss-break segment.

17 minutes ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Who'd have guessed 15 years ago, watching Shane and Stephanie as the primary players in the long-awaited WWF vs. WCW angle, we'd be seeing this same shit all over again? 

The more things change...

16 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

As invented by Taka Blue Thunder and popularized in Blue Thunder Pro.

I was screaming outside and in at that call.

I forgot about that. I was yelling at my laptop when I heard it. 

30 minutes ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Who'd have guessed 15 years ago, watching Shane and Stephanie as the primary players in the long-awaited WWF vs. WCW angle, we'd be seeing this same shit all over again? 

Honestly?  Most of us.

• Like 2

Owens was great on commentary. Glad to see him win his match clean and hoped that was the end of that feud. Most everything else on the card seemed guaranteed for another rematch. Enjoyed Miz/Cesaro all the way and Jericho/Ambrose as well. Thought Charlotte/Natalya was pretty good until the strange finish. Cool to see Bret involved though. Also Ryback/Kalisto was awesome again on the preshow.

Loved the main event, thought both Styles and Reigns looked great. That Phenomenal Forearm through the table was absolutely perfect looking execution. Knew there was no way they'd take it off Reigns again this quick but still bought a couple of the near falls towards the end, off the forearm and 450. Very glad that Gallows & Anderson didn't turn on Styles. Looking forward to the rematch, dug how they immediately set that up since the show's only 3 weeks away. Seems like that show should have a bunch of rematches from this one.

• Like 1

For all the talk of Ryback being sloppy and nearly killing the blessed lord and savior, he saved Kalisto from a wheelchair on that middle rope flippedy dippedy doo to the outside.  If Ryback hadn't run up a few feet, Kalisto was due a head-first meeting with the apron in a horrible way, and we'd have gone from "it's called high risk for a reason Maggle!" to Owen Voice one match early.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I'm shocked nobody mentioned Cole's BLUE THUNDER BOMB...which was followed by an actual BLUE THUNDER BOMB flub.

Which Cole then called a "traditional Blue Thunder Bomb"

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

As invented by Taka Blue Thunder and popularized in Blue Thunder Pro.

It was more of a Falcon Arrow than an M-driver, so we can at least be grateful there was no mention of the word "Hollycaust".

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EVA said:

You know you're a good seller when you momentarily turn into a vegetable at ringside and your opponent just thinks you're selling.

He's such a great seller that even New Day thought it was a work... until the X came up.

I could watch Zayn v. Owens every week.   My only gripe with this show was restarting Reigns/AJ twice.  I think if they did it once with the countout finish it could have been okay but doing it twice took me out of the match for a sec.  They still had a very good match.  I just Extreme Rules will be far less fuckery.

This is how I know Ryback/Kalisto was my MOTN

Meltzer called it "ok" and bitched that Ryback was out of position on Kalisto's dive

One of the days I would like to watch the wrestling in his reality

• Like 1

I remember listening to Meltzer talk about the Raw after WM32 and how he had no idea how Sasha put Summer in the Bank Statement he said he rewound it 3 times still had no idea how it was done. It was clear as day when you watch the match how it was done.

This was a good to very good show. If you took everyone with the last name McMahon out of the show it would have been fantastic. I agree with the the praise for Roman here. He looked like the bruiser he should absolutely be booked as. Also, I fucking hate JBL. I want him gone so badly I can feel it in my teeth. 

12 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

He's already been discharged.

MY NAME IS.. Um.. what's my name again? *oh, and props for not changing into street clothes before taking the photo

If Me & Big Cass had a dime for every time we got knocked down and didn't get back up, we'd have.... ZERO DIMES!