DVDVR Message Board

Raw is McMahonaMania 2-22-16

MGFanJay

it's been much to fast and too soon

Bullshit. Roman is either the man or he isn't. He's been their guy for over three years now. If he doesn't have it by now, it's not going to happen. Literally he's had more time to be the man to lead the company than Sting, Rock, Goldberg, and Cena had when they were in the big leagues. They are literally wasting WrestleMania after WrestleMania waiting for him "to be ready."

Right, we're at this point because it was much too fast too soon, which is what I said. Instead of letting the guy develop and maybe have this be the year where he main events WM for the first time, it's his second year in a row doing so and he's still fucked because they tried getting him to that John Cena level insanely fast when the guy has 1/10th of the charisma and ability as Cena.

So yes, Roman carrying the company is not going to happen.

I'm honestly not sure why you're saying what I said is bullshit.

Uhhh. Roman is at the exact same level as Cena: getting booed out of every arena.

Cena drew.

Again, the reaction for Shane was immense.  It's one thing to say you hate the McMahons and don't want to see them. It's entirely different to suggest that nobody wants to see them.  It is what it is.

Come on, any major person who hasn't been there for years and years would have gotten a pop like that. Now if he's still getting good reactions in a month, that'd be telling. 

People pop for a surprise.

• Like 1

They'll pop that big again when he goes through a table off the cell. None of the set-up for this match makes sense.

I will say that I've always enjoyed Shane as a performer and admired his willingness to do crazy shit damn near nobody else in his position should be taking. I am most hopeful we get to see one of his famous diving weapon attacks. May be hard to pull off with the headshot ban.

You'd think Saxton would have stepped in a bit closer to cover a little more.

And no one's getting fired for that.  That only happens with Vince/HHH's approval.

As for drawing--not sure if it's true, but supposedly Reigns' house show tallies were better than average.  He moves merch.  No one's saying he's an Austin type draw--who is?  nobody!--but I think he does bring in some numbers.  Truthfully though, no one draws these days.  I don't think even Lesnar moves the needle much in that regard.

So since we're all pretty much in agreement Roman's dead in the water. Who's the next guy to be positioned as the next Cena/Rock/SCSA/Hogan? There's not a lot of guys who have charisma, are not indy guys, above 6'2", and under thirty.

Also if you cannot make money off of a guy like Roman Reigns, who can you make money off of? Like how hard should it be to book a guy who looks like Roman Reigns? 

You'd think Saxton would have stepped in a bit closer to cover a little more.

You would think folks would learn by now that they are being filmed from everywhere nowadays

So since we're all pretty much in agreement Roman's dead in the water. Who's the next guy to be positioned as the next Cena/Rock/SCSA/Hogan? There's not a lot of guys who have charisma, are not indy guys, above 6'2", and under thirty.

Also if you cannot make money off of a guy like Roman Reigns, who can you make money off of? Like how hard should it be to book a guy who looks like Roman Reigns?

The problem isn't look.

Hogan/Austin/Rock/Cena were all top-notch promo guys (for their era, at a bare minimum). Even on the tier of guys below them, you either had great promos, or guys who were so good in the ring (Hart, Bryan, Lesnar) that they could connect with the audience outside of their promos. Even Warrior's promos were great, if not precisely coherent.

Roman is a "less is more" promo guy who kept getting given more because of the spot they wanted to put him in, and while he's not by any means bad in the ring, he's not such a great wrestler that people are able to get behind him just based on that.

I think if the DB situation would have taught WWE anything is that people may look at heroes differently than they did in the 80's. I blame Bryan fans, Punk fans, those damn millenniums and perhaps the Swiss.

Maybe just push a guy when the crowd starts to get behind them and see where it goes. Maybe play to their strengths and hide their weaknesses. Maybe it doesn't matter what they look like.   

Edit to add: I blame the Millennials and the milleniums.

I would actually much rather see Shane/Taker than Cena/Taker at this point. Shane hasn't taken a bump in seven years and looked to be in pretty awesome shape last night. I think him getting thrown around the cell like a ragdoll is kind of the perfect opponent for Undertaker at this point, and intrigues me a lot more than what is sure to be a finisher spam-fest between Cena and Undertaker.

• Like 1

Fuck TV-14. If Vince gets that back, even for an hour, he'll never know where to stop. It'll start with a little blood in the last hour and within a month it'll be bra and panties matches and coffin humping. Vince is not nfor moderation. Trips could book a gritty two hour TV-14 wrestling show. Vince would go back to booking three hour titty/beer truck circuses.

• Like 3

I think if the DB situation would have taught WWE anything is that people may look at heroes differently than they did in the 80's. I blame Bryan fans, Punk fans, those damn millenniums and perhaps the Swiss.

Maybe just push a guy when the crowd starts to get behind them and see where it goes. Maybe play to their strengths and hide their weaknesses. Maybe it doesn't matter what they look like.   

Claudio-Castagnoli-WIth-Coffe-Cup.jpg

• Like 1

Ambrose could be used as a stop gap top guy for a while it seems, crowds are solidly behind him and he can be a great promo guy. NXT is full of people with potential to be main eventers if given a fair chance, Balor, Corbin, Big Cass, Jordan, Gable, Nakamura, Sami are all guys who could easily be main eventers in the future, Crews has a chance if he can find a personality and Enzo could too if they book him right (which we know most likely won't happen but the guy has more charisma than anyone to come along since probably Cena). Joe could come in an be a main eventer/upper mid carder at any time also.

EDIT - and they're sitting on piles and piles of money in Bayley if they used her correctly when she is called up, which like Enzo is most likely not going to happen.

I sort of think they don't really care that Reigns is being booed, because he is still one of a handful of active guys that gets an actual reaction every week. People are invested in his segments and matches, and his entrance is really loud. The WWE has had a lot of trouble for the past five years or so to get the desired reaction for literally anyone. Hell, they have pushed plenty of people that simply get no reaction. To go all Pride and Prejudice for a second, the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference. I don't think anyone could claim that the audience is indifferent to Reigns right now. 

• Like 1

I can always rely on DVDVR to tell me who sells the most merch and why that means they won't turn someone heel. like heels don't sell merch and the guy that takes his face spot won't sell any either.

To be fair - that is a very big Meltzer talking point (usually in regards to Cena) and also comes from Punk saying that when they turned him heel his merch sales plummeted

• Like 1

Kids influence the sales and are the majority of them, and despite how "cool" heels are, the fact still remains that most kids don't buy heel merch, period.  They cheer the good guys and boo the bad guys, and the only bad guy stuff they'd want is maybe their figure so that their John Cena figure can overcome the odds.

So yeah, no reason to ever, ever, EVER turn John Cena.

Changing tacks, I can somehow see Ambrose ending up in the same odd spot Bret ended up in as the face transitional champion that they keep going back to because everyone else keeps bombing bigtime.  There's something to be said for having a guy that can at least keep your ship pointing in the right direction while you bail water out of it.

The only problem with Ambrose (beyond my personally disliking him) is that right now we're clearly seeing the crowds really like him, but not enough that they aren't cheering like mad to see Brock try to cripple him.

Reigns needs a heel turn and a great-talking manager (kinda like Heyman does for Lesnar). Turn Reigns heel, have him fight face Brock, who everyone wants to cheer for anyway. Put Ambrose in the match with HHH and do the ol' plucky babyface fights the corporate odds thing and have him win the title at Wrestlemania. Then Ambrose and Reigns can square off for the title. Easy peasy.

Heyman would be the best manager for, well, anyone, but if you keep him with Lesnar, who would be good for Reigns? The only name that keeps flashing into my mind would be a heel Foley, back to extract his revenge on Paul E. for ruining wrestling and making him lose 2,000 teeth in the process by having to go "hardcore."

OR, Heyman backstabs Brock, goes with Reigns, and Austin steps in as Brock's manager, at least temporarily.

Goddamn, I love to fantasy book. Heck with all y'all if y'all don't like it. Haters gotta hate, etc.

• Like 1