Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

The NASCAR Thread


Rev Ray
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

A noose was found in Bubba Wallace's garage in Talladega today.

Suspend the whole damn season until it's discovered who did it.

And if it was a member of another team, kick the entire damn team off the circuit.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Suspend the whole damn season until it's discovered who did it.

And if it was a member of another team, kick the entire damn team off the circuit.

I'm really, REALLY hoping it wasn't an inside job. If someone on his team did it, they will never hear the end of this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That really pisses me off.  I always liked Bubba but like him exponentially more with all that he's done regarding BLM.  And while I would watch Nascar just so I have to something talk about with some of my friends Nascar's surprisingly (to me) progressive approach made me like them that much more.  But with this very welcome change it was inevitably going to clash with the flatscans that still celebrate that stupid flag.  Reading about the noose incident there were already fans who gathered sporting Confederate flag stuff everywhere.  And apparently a plane flew overhead with the flag and had a message saying "Defund Nascar". 

So that alone would have annoyed the crap out of me and it could be something that doesn't truly go away for awhile.  But to read about a noose in Bubba's garage?  Fuck that shit, I hope whoever did it gets punished and shamed for all eternity.  I will say that Bubba handled that with class and I really hope to see him win a race.  The guy from what I saw tends to be in the middle of the pack a lot of times and I'm hoping that changes for the better.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, alstein said:

It had to be someone from within, as the events are still closed to the public.

 

The thing that makes me think that it wasn't an inside job is that apparently they got the noose out before Bubba saw it.  So either they know already who did it and covered it up or the person who did it wasn't working when it happened.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You come at the King, you best not miss. The responses to this are actually surprisingly level-headed and measured... not what you would expect at all.

Just kidding- they're exactly what you would expect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actual conversation between me and the wife follows.

Quote

"Wait, who's Richard Petty again?"
"You know Bubba Wallace, right?"
"Yes."
"Richard Petty is his owner. WOW, that came out poorly."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

Yes, waste of time...

They checked every garage at every NASCAR track, there were less than 10 with a pull rope with a knot in in, but only one tied in a noose.  They had every reason to think this was racially motivated (I'm skeptical about how easily they've dismissed this).  Especially when there were multiple people waving confederate flags outside of the track.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Raziel said:

Yes, waste of time...

It had been according to even NASCAR there since last October. So clearly it wasn’t directed at Bubba (thank god). So yes they did waste the FBI’s time. 

If they’d investigated it last October they would’ve had the answers they now can’t find, and none of this would have happened. 

Which leads to one major question. As a security precaution why aren’t there cameras installed at all the tracks and the garages? That way if there’s ever an incident (like even just your run of the mill driver fight) there’s evidence of it, and it’s easier for law enforcement to handle things properly. 

Edited by MavsFan77
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

It had been according to even NASCAR there since last October. So clearly it wasn’t directed at Bubba (thank god). So yes they did waste the FBI’s time. 

If they’d investigated it last October they would’ve had the answers they now can’t find, and none of this would have happened. 

Which leads to one major question. As a security precaution why aren’t there cameras installed at all the tracks and the garages? That way if there’s ever an incident (like even just your run of the mill driver fight) there’s evidence of it, and it’s easier for law enforcement to handle things properly. 

Dude, they banned confederate flags, have a BLM car, and only have one black driver.  There was a noose hanging in the garage where the only black driver stored his car, and no other NASCAR garage in the entire country.  Nope, NASCAR shouldn't ask any questions about that.  Let's not mention that there were multiple people waving confederate flags outside of the track, and a plane flying a confederate flag banner over the track, it would have been completely and totally irresponsible for them not to do everything in their power to investigate this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Dude, they banned confederate flags, have a BLM car, and only have one black driver.  There was a noose hanging in the garage where the only black driver stored his car, and no other NASCAR garage in the entire country.  Nope, NASCAR shouldn't ask any questions about that.  Let's not mention that there were multiple people waving confederate flags outside of the track, and a plane flying a confederate flag banner over the track, it would have been completely and totally irresponsible for them not to do everything in their power to investigate this.

I’m saying they didn’t need the FBI since they (the FBI) found no evidence of a hate crime being committed.

You keep bringing up fans outside the track, and I understand that. However none of them had access to the garage area, and as I pointed out the noose had been there since October. NASCAR themselves said nobody would’ve known ahead of time that Bubba was going to be assigned that garage either. So how exactly does that lead to anyone trying to harm/offend him? 

And when did I say they shouldn’t ask questions? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MavsFan77 said:

I’m saying they didn’t need the FBI since they (the FBI) found no evidence of a hate crime being committed.

You keep bringing up fans outside the track, and I understand that. However none of them had access to the garage area, and as I pointed out the noose had been there since October. NASCAR themselves said nobody would’ve known ahead of time that Bubba was going to be assigned that garage either. So how exactly does that lead to anyone trying to harm/offend him? 

And when did I say they shouldn’t ask questions? 

You said it was a waste of time, which it wasn't.  They're trying to change the perception that their sport is not a safe place for black people.  If they can get the FBI to investigate this situation, it is the exact opposite of a waste of time.  They literally did everything they could to make Bubba Wallace know that he was safe.  That's not a waste.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This may or may not still need to be said considering what some have said earlier.  So just in case I'll put this in spoilers.

Sorry, but I can't help but wonder what good it does to point out it's a waste of time.  Yes, the loop is hand-sized and it I do believe that it was there since October.  And I can also believe that it was an unfortunate coincidence that it was in Bubba's of all places.  But considering it looks very much like a noose and there were a few lynchings going on around that time to look into this is far from a waste of time.  I can't relate but I would imagine if I was a black driver and with all that was going on saw that I would be mortified and want to have this fully looked into.  And with very good reason.  So I hope we can drop this "waste of time" stuff for good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Corey LaJoie's car for Go Fas Racing (a backmarker team that finished 29th last season, is currently 27th this season) will be sposored by a Trump-supporting PAC for nine Cup series races starting this weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...