DVDVR Message Board

This week's Smackdown spoilers.

The Natural

Weird for Smackdown to be so angle heavy, and it almost felt like the 1A show tonight. I liked RVD's return, but he is getting stale again fairly quick and would be so much better off as a special attraction guy. Also, got to hope that Dolph can dovetail off this and finally get a run as the world heavyweight champion, as he is about the only guy that could make the scene fresh.

Definitely agree with a Wyatt Family-Shield feud at some point, and Wyatts have to be the faces now. They would be unlikely allies of Daniel Bryan, but why the hell not? 

Even though they are not being subtle about it, I like that HHH is making Daniel Bryan fend for himself. It is building heat on Orton/H/Shield, while also helping to establish whoever decides to align with Bryan and buck authority. I did not love the genesis of the angle at SummerSlam as it was not original, but damn if they are not executing it about as well as possible. 

So JBL said that if Show didn't obey HHH would "tear up that guaranteed contract."

I'm not sure they understand what guaranteed means.

I'm thinking, in "WWE Land", the COO can over rule a "guaranteed contract".  :D  Either that, or Show is pretending he's mad and he's really in HHH's pocket.

Show's got some serious acting chops. He went from "I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL ALL OF YOU" to "YOU'RE SO MEAN" on a dime. No one wants to see a man that big break down and cry. Yeah after watching the main event tonight, they probably are telegraphing The Big Show joining up with Corporate Legacy in the name of DA BUSINESS.

If that happens, if they are in the right town we might just see the crowd pelt the ring with garbage. People are rooting for the big show to stand up for himself and punch Orton or at least Rollins. If he turns, there's gonna be a lot of upset little kids and it's going to be fun.

I did get a kick out of him slapping the table with each kick Bryan did. I was hoping when Bryan nailed the head kick, Show would slap the table so hard it would fall apart. Alas it was not to be.

I really don't think I've enjoyed wrestling this much since I started watching ECW in 1994-95. This has been an absolutely fantastic few weeks to watch professional wrestling. There are so many great things unfolding.I loved the overall storyline of the night so incredibly much. The big story is still Daniel Bryan's attempt to get back his rightfully won title despite the corporate machine backing the already very capable Randy Orton. But the main focus of the night was on how HHH's manipulation of his power in order to put the belt on his preferred choice is affecting a lot of other lives. And the main person it's hurting is The Big Show -- the largest guy on the roster driven to tears because of how the smallest superstar of them all is being treated and he can't put the fears of his own career aside to do anything about it. It could be a red herring. But I don't want it to be. I want The Show to find a way to man up and beat the hell out of some dudes.

I think Show's acting job tonight was on par with Eddie's heel turn against Rey. He said so much while only saying a few things all night. His facial expressions, his tending to The Miz, him leading the cheers for Bryan great and led up to the big moment -- Show ready to do something but HHH putting him in his place and Show feeling like he has no choice but to obey. He's been through these rodeos before. And his reluctance to help ends with The Shield and Randy beating up the one guy who truly does not care anymore, walking him around like a trophy pelt, and humiliating him in revenge for what he did to a car.Bryan is the star of stars now. The way he connects with the live audience is Austin '96 or so. I don't know (or care) if it translates to television eyeballs but he's so great. But making Smackdown about the other players -- that's how you use Smackdown. Raw and PPVs are where the story is told. Smackdown is there to fill in the details.Other stuff:* HHH remains on fire as THE KING DICK HEEL of all-time. What an awful person. His comeuppance will be epic and the best.* I hated Randy Orton for the past few years. He was a total snooze. Where the hell did all this come from? What a great, great, great jerk. I loved so many things in his match -- his nasty headbutts, a backdrop on the ring rail, his constant taunting and gloating. I don't think he's been this good since his stuff with Foley all those years ago.* I love that they're using the overarching story to really get some face burn for Miz and Dolph. Those guys were floundering and now they actually have some momentum again. The Miz is capable enough in the ring. He showed fire and guts and concern (when SIERRA HOTEL played) and more than held his own in the story of the match. He's good but a hair below Randy.* Dolph's pretty perfect for these 3-on-1 matches. The guy sells like no other. He wrestles smart -- as in he's a smart person who wrestles and knows how to try and steal a win. Reigns' spear on him was fantastic. I also love how Ambrose runs his mouth so much in the ring yet constantly takes beatings. Great subtle touch.* This is the best possible way to use Ryback. He's very good wrestling as this character. He doesn't have to do more than he's capable of -- use his strength spots, sell when you get hit with moves and talk trash when you can. Using him in this role is going to be really effective, I think. I also love how this got set up with Vicki claiming Bryan bullied four people at once.* Heyman was Heyman. More top-end stuff. I loved him blaming the fans for what he did to CM Punk -- that's a true heel right there.* I really wish (and hope) they give Ricardo a Virgil push against ADR. It's hard, though, to tell that underdog story because of Daniel Bryan right now, which is the best underdog story in wrestling in a long, long time.* The Wyatt Family is my favorite gimmick in ages. But they're in a holding pattern right now because of the numbers game. They're stuck in that there's nothing interesting for them to do except squash crappy tag teams. They're not ready to be the unlikely heroes to save Daniel Bryan and take on The Shield. There's no babyface/tag team they can get into some supernatural mind game with. They're good enough to get hot once there's a spot open. My main criticism of the Wyatt Family has been that the announcers haven't explained what Bray's talking about to the audience yet. Cole did that tonight by deciphering the Sister Abigail promo and using that to give a name to Bray's finisher.This has been really great and inspired stuff lately. Kudos, everyone.

• Like 4

My favorite part of tonight's show....

HHH: Miz..... usually you're out here in a suit. Why are you out here in your gear tonight?

MIZ: You never know when a fight is going to break out. But, since I have you out here, can I ask you one question...

HHH: Actually, no, you may not ask me a question

Show's got some serious acting chops. He went from "I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL ALL OF YOU" to "YOU'RE SO MEAN" on a dime. No one wants to see a man that big break down and cry. Yeah after watching the main event tonight, they probably are telegraphing The Big Show joining up with Corporate Legacy in the name of DA BUSINESS.

If that happens, if they are in the right town we might just see the crowd pelt the ring with garbage. People are rooting for the big show to stand up for himself and punch Orton or at least Rollins. If he turns, there's gonna be a lot of upset little kids and it's going to be fun.

He did it with Johnny Ace and Cena already, why not again?

Like I said, it didn't really make sense that Show came back as a happy, hand slapping good guy in the first place. I'm wagering that's all an act, and he's gonna fuck over Bryan, and Bryan will eventually beat the giant that HHH has put in his way.

Tonight's clue was that Miz and Doplh had to fight, and Show had to watch. Show really wasn't punished .

I want to see Show go nuts and beat up the Shield but wrestling tends to take that, and turn it into heel heat based on fan disappointment .

Loved this show.

-What's so great about this angle is that it's done a better job of making Ziggler and even, The Miz (!) into bigger starts than neutered World Title runs ever did.  The crowd (I know some of it was piped in) was totally crazy for everything The Miz did.  His match with Orton was just fine.  The pop for Bryan coming in was nuts.

-Sandow-RVD was kinda disappointing, but not awful.

-Ziggler-Shield was good.

-Wyatts-TOF was good.  Probably time to start doing something new with the Wyatts, though, before the crowd starts to get bored.

-Ryback-Bryan was fine.  Post-match angle was great.

BTW, I would fantasy-book that angle as following.  On Monday, Big Show finally comes out and saves Bryan, Triple H fires him.  At NOC, you get a ref bump, both guys down, Triple H slide into the ring with a ref shirt under his suit jacket, Big Show's music hits, Show comes down, then choke-slams Bryan as Orton comes to, pins Bryan, Triple H counts 3.  Big Show becomes Orton's bodyguard.  Bryan is given another Title Shot, but it's at the end of a Gauntlet Match for the October PPV.  He barely outlasts Ambrose, but pins him.  Then when he's about to lose to Rollins, Ziggler's music hits and he comes down and helps Bryan win.  Repeat same formula against Reigns with Miz coming out.  Then Bryan manages to small-package Show and win, then as Orton is coming down to face Bryan for the title, Big Show chokeslams/WMDs Bryan, and Orton rolls into the ring for the easy pin and win.  So, on the next Raw, Bryan is told that he can put together a Survivor Series team to face Orton/Show/2 Shield Guys and if his team can win, he can have one last Title Shot in December.  So, we get Bryan recruiting guys all night, first Ziggler, then Miz, then in the main event as he's getting attacked by all of them, Mark Henry's music hits and he comes out as the 4th member of his team.  Bryan gets the visual win in December, but Triple H screws him out of the title, Bryan has to win the Rumble, all the way from #1 to get his title shot and win at WM.  Done.  Now send me my cheque, Vince.

If they have Big Show turn on DB just so he can keep his job, wouldn't they just be repeating the ironclad contract angle all over again?

No, they'd be saying "why did you think Show is a good guy? When he left he was a bad guy and nothing has happened to make him a good guy".