DVDVR Message Board

Raw 8-3-15

MGFanJay

The Piper tribute stuff was glorious - the video was especially good. Neville vs. Seth got quite great - not a classic, but damned if they didn't possibly make a star in Neville here with the near-falls. 8-man tag had some fun lines on commentary, but nothing in the ring. Divas tag had nothing on commentary that was good, but did have some awful lines from each guy. Charlotte beating Nikki was a good move. Rusev beat Henry and Barrett squashed Ryder.

Heyman then cut one of his best promos ever calling Taker-Brock too big for WrestleMania, saying that Taker will need Last Rites afterwards and then ACTUALLY READING HIM HIS LAST RITES. This was so great. Paige-Naomi was a match. Main event 6-man tag was fun for the last five or so minutes - first half or so was boring though. Great show overall though - first two hours were well worth the time.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/08/raw-8-3-15.html

Screens - 

3926ba426228138.jpg  

6b590a426228164.jpg 

844837426238374.jpg

NEW! DAY ROCKS!

sihBkN1.gif

Miz greatness -
7949c0426237990.jpg

b65761426237994.jpg

Viva la Revolution
0ddee6426236834.jpg

91881c426236837.jpg

Piper tribute highlights -

a70269426228167.jpg 

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/6yvxr8xh05nqz5mhy1v7iri5t26nby3i

Also, I would call Rollins/Neville a classic. Man, that was really friggin' great. Excellent storytelling from start (Rollins as a slimebag thinking he had it in the bag) to end. I love the two near falls so much. Two of the best near falls in memory, actually. The one after the Red Arrow was so awesome and great character work -- Neville was SO excited that he won the title and his overeagerness/Rollins being opportunistic caused the break. Great story.

The six-man was awesome, too. It totally felt like 2013/2014 with Shield and Wyatt members with interchangeable parts flying all over the ring. Just give those dudes 20-ish minutes and let them figure it out.

Both woman's matches were good. I thought the tag match was really good, actually, and could have been the MOTN a lot of times this year. That was the most I've ever enjoyed Brie Bella, doing some sneaky crap around ringside. The singles match was fine, too. BAD's mic-spot was great, too.

Fun way to spend a Monday.

I wish someone on commentary had pointed out that it was Neville's overexcited pin that pulled Seth's foot on the rope in the first place, just to put over the idea that he really did have the World champ beat. Still a really fantastic showcase for him.

• Like 1

This was a really solid episode.  They're making Owens/Cesaro seem like something important and those two will probably have the match of the night at Summerslam.  

Neville/Rollins really should have been the main event.  That was a terrific match and I hope they get to have more matches with more time to build it up.  

That has to be the worst name for a stable since "Pin-Up Strong."

(I've never had any idea what that was supposed to mean.)

I believe they were going for a beautiful but strong thing.

I enjoyed both women's matches too. Good week for the SS so far lol Paige and Naomi work well off of each other

Heyman giving Undertaker last rites in LATIN was the bee's knees.  Even Brock was impressed. Dude could sell water to a well.

If Brock wins after that promo, it will all be worth it.

However, I get the feeling Heyman only gets to a cut a promo like that if Undertaker is winning.

Heyman giving Undertaker last rites in LATIN was the bee's knees.  Even Brock was impressed. Dude could sell water to a well.

If Brock wins after that promo, it will all be worth it.

However, I get the feeling Heyman only gets to a cut a promo like that if Undertaker is winning.

Heavens, I hope you're wrong.  But I recognize the strong possibility that you're right. What's the point of breaking the streak if Brock has to give the win back 16 months after the fact?  It dilutes so much on so many levels.

Either way, Heyman has framed it beautifully for them.  They couldn't ask for a better setup than what Heyman gave them tonight.

Only way I see a reason to book Taker/Brock again is to give the Erin back to the Deadman. And the only reason I can see to do that is to setup a rubber match at next year's WrestleMania.

Which doesn't seem like a great idea.

But at least the build has been awesome.

Only way I see a reason to book Taker/Brock again is to give the Erin back to the Deadman. And the only reason I can see to do that is to setup a rubber match at next year's WrestleMania.

Which doesn't seem like a great idea.

But at least the build has been awesome.

Spb9je4.jpg

• Like 7

Regardless of who wins, I see this entire thing as a do-over. The first time around the build sucked, aside from Taker stabbing Brock's hand with the pen, and so did the match due to Taker being concussed so this is a way to right it. If anyone deserves a mulligan it's Undertaker.

• Like 2

Rollins/Neville was awesome. Good to see Neville featured in a bigger showcase like this again instead of doing nothing in midcard matches. Definitely had a HHH/Jericho 2000 vibe to it. Good stuff. Enjoyed both women's matches a lot and the main event had a killer finishing run.

• Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed this show.  I think The Miz has really quietly been doing some of the best character work of his career these last few months.  He just knows his character and plays it perfectly, all the time, to the point that when he did something out of character tonight (The Piper tribute) the crowd didn't know how to react because they kept waiting for him to say something like nasty about him.  I would give him a whole entourage: a bodyguard, a stand-in, and a diva and let them run roughshod over various divisions.

The Bellas looked really good tonight.  All their offence looked good and hurty.

• Like 1

Echoing Rollins/Neville being insanely good. Neville busted out some cool shit. Rollins used his balance and agility for bumping purposes, which made Neville's moves look even better. The finishing run was really strong without any real finisher kickouts. It had a "real sports feel" where the likable underdog almost pulled off a big win over the obnoxious dynasty team, but a terrible ref call and a bad bounce at the end cost them. Like if that match was a football game, the gameday thread would be littered with "fuck these refs," "fix is in," and "*insert team* is such overrated garbage" shit posts. Two weeks in a row that Raw has produced a MOTYC. Only thing missing was not using this prime opportunity to have Rollins ditch the terrible forced pedigree and debut some sort of knee-to-the-face finisher.

The tag division might be the most underrated thing in WWE right now. Every week is just really solid output. That dive sequence was really well done. PTPs come across as real champs in the ring and on the mic.

Submission Sorority is an ok name, I'm just glad they came up with something that doesn't start with "Team." Also debuting that team name and giving them two submission wins was such sensible and good booking, I was a bit surprised to see it, although everything with the women thus far has been on point. I think WWE is missing the boat by not using the name "Bella Club."

Owens/Cesaro promo was good too. Cesaro looked like a boss, a nice contrast to Owens DILLIGAF backyarder look. It was also the best he's sounded on the mic in WWE. His smirk when he ad-libbed that rib on Owens getting stuck in his chair was nice.

Kind of an odd choice for the main, but that's the kind of match that needs to close the show more to get different guys that exposure. I liked Sheamus' uncomfortable laugh when he was included in the Wyatts' promo.

If you're curious like me, Google "Submission Sorority." Yeah, they're going to have to change that name. The short version of "The SS" doesn't work, either.

If that's the standard, it would explain why BAD stood for something new every week.