DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

That first show was so great. Love Manny's hot opening squash plus the Bob Geigel clip with the criminally underused Rick Stuart. To me the worst thing was the dopey generic music for the RNRs... you really can't pony up the shekels for the ELO tune? Also amused that Mike Davis teamed with George South when his RPM partner Tommy Lane worked Manny... a RNRs/RPMs tilt would've been super-duper fun methinks.

I'm guessing that was Pistol Pez (same chest hair, sounded like him as well) under the mask as the Black Cat against Billy Jack.

That first episode has Tony congratulating newlyweds Joe and Julie Laurinaitis during the Pez squash.

Looks like more episodes have gone up in the past few hours. The Network hasn't uploaded like this since those episodes of Hardcore TV that nobody will ever watch went up in rapid succession.

That first episode has Tony congratulating newlyweds Joe and Julie Laurinaitis during the Pez squash.

Looks like more episodes have gone up in the past few hours. The Network hasn't uploaded like this since those episodes of Hardcore TV that nobody will ever watch went up in rapid succession.

I tried watching those Hardcore TVs. ECW's problem is two-fold

1) ECW doesn't work without the original music. 

2) It hasn't aged well.

This on the other hand? This is timeless.

To me the worst thing was the dopey generic music for the RNRs... you really can't pony up the shekels for the ELO tune?

I die a little inside every time I hear them overdub The Chase when the Midnight Express comes out.

• Like 1

That first show was so great. Love Manny's hot opening squash plus the Bob Geigel clip with the criminally underused Rick Stuart. To me the worst thing was the dopey generic music for the RNRs... you really can't pony up the shekels for the ELO tune? Also amused that Mike Davis teamed with George South when his RPM partner Tommy Lane worked Manny... a RNRs/RPMs tilt would've been super-duper fun methinks.

I'm guessing that was Pistol Pez (same chest hair, sounded like him as well) under the mask as the Black Cat against Billy Jack.

At the very least they should be able to use "Boogie Woogie Dance Hall", that really weird song Ricky Morton sang

James

• Like 2

To me the worst thing was the dopey generic music for the RNRs... you really can't pony up the shekels for the ELO tune?

I die a little inside every time I hear them overdub The Chase when the Midnight Express comes out.

That's actually the one dub I'm okay with.  There's more than one show the Express literally walk in time with to the point if you didn't know better, you'd never know the difference.  Not to mention the Chase usually built up to a major time change that more often than not never happened anyway.

At the very least they should be able to use "Boogie Woogie Dance Hall", that really weird song Ricky Morton sang

James

I had never seen that before. Crockett was amazing with that "fan club stuff". A life sized poster of Ricky and his wall eyed friend who we swear was looking at the camera. I still want those Horsemen Vitamins though.

I have a question about the network playback wise. Anyone with a 360, does it buffer a lot for you? The other night during the Survivor Series I know there was an outage but again tonight during like the last 20 minutes of NXT live it kept freezing and I would have to exit and restart. Is that on their end or is it the app or what?

Oddly enough on the Roku player it seems to work a lot better.

That's actually the one dub I'm okay with.  There's more than one show the Express literally walk in time with to the point if you didn't know better, you'd never know the difference.  Not to mention the Chase usually built up to a major time change that more often than not never happened anyway.

Not me man. I grew up listening to the MX coming out to The Chase or the almost too close for comfort knock-off they used so the new music is just too weird for me. The knock-off they replaced The Chase with in I wanna say 1988 or 89 actually did get up to the time change.

• Like 1

James

I saw the R&R enter the Richmond Coliseum to this music and the ovation was deafening.

I saw Ricky Morton wrestle a singles match in Waynesboro, VA in 2011. Even though he was 56 at the time and was on the same card as Matt Hardy, Christian York and a bunch of guys 30 years younger than him, he was by far the best worker. He did a lot of little tricks to get the crowd chanting and put heat on the heel. It was kind of like watching an old basketball player who wasn't nearly as athletic as he used to be but used a lot of old man tricks to keep up with and in some cases, best the young guys who he couldn't compete with physically.

So Ricky Morton is, what? Celtics/86 era Robert Parrish in that scenario?

Because seriosuly, I'm 100% OK with that

James

Pretty much. It was just some shit Indie show in Waynesboro, VA with about 500 people in attendance. However, he was the only one who got the crowd chanting during his match. When he was in a chinlock, he'd try to fight from out of it and bang his foot on the ground in rhythm to get the crowd to chant, "Rock and Roll", "Rock and Roll", "Rock and Roll" so that he could make his comeback. The heel had him in a submission and he would kind of reach out to the crowd while fighting to get out. When he fired up on his comeback, he did stuff in time with the crowd's chants and pointed at them a few times. Just little stuff that you don't see much on the big stage. It was pretty fascinating to watch someone who knew how to work a crowd like that in action.

I was going to watch this week's Table for Three, but there wasn't one (they repeated the New Day one; If it had been a second New Day Table for Three I would have watched it). So I watched a The List instead, about failed factions. The whole thing started on the basis of a fallacy - that the purpose of a faction is to dominate the title picture and hold the main event spotlight for ages (like the Horsemen did, or the NWO). So therefore, on that basis factions that were only ever put together to be undercard comedy acts (like Three Count) or jobbers (like the J.O.B. Squad) were put on the list. And they had the BWO at number one! If ever there was a faction that outperformed it's expectations, it would be the one the BWO! That was supposed to be a one-night comedy spot and ended up getting over so much that comedy heel flunkie Stevie Richards ended up as a babyface World title challenger.

I think a lot of it was either internet pandering (because so much of it (PMS were terrible! The Misfits in Action were stupid and had ridiculous names!) was basically LOL Russo wrote this! He sucks~!) or unsubtle dissing of competitors (did you know 3MB only had one talent, and that was getting beaten up? We aren't bringing that up because Drew Galloway is a top pushed guy in TNA right now or anything!). And they never bought up any examples of factions that were supposed to get mega over like Evolution did, and didn't manage it. Like Legacy, for example. Or those guys who hung around with Edge, whatever they were called. Zack Ryder was one of them.

EDIT: Do you think they're taking requests for new Tale For Three castings? Because I'd really like them to have Fit Finlay, Terry Funk and Hardcore Holly do one together. Or Albert/Tensai with Robbie Brookside and Normal Smiley. Christian, Samoa Joe and Bully Ray.

Not me man. I grew up listening to the MX coming out to The Chase or the almost too close for comfort knock-off they used so the new music is just too weird for me. The knock-off they replaced The Chase with in I wanna say 1988 or 89 actually did get up to the time change.

Always loved that version

Pretty much.  WCW only ran at 6 on Saturday nights on TBS, which in 85, Cable was only starting to get rolling.  By that time, Vince already had 3 Syndicated Shows on local TV, which everyone got, 2 Cable shows in All American and TNT, Prime Time was starting up on cable, and Saturday Night's Main Event on NBC, which everyone got. The Rock n' Wrestling connection didn't hurt either.  

And, in 85, JCP was rebuilding its base in TBS since until March, Vince had *that* slot too.  They were finding footing getting old GCW fans back after the merger and pretty much obliterating Watts out of existance.

• Like 1