DVDVR Message Board

Broomstick Matches/One hit wonders

Kuetsar

first match that came to my mind was Bret Hart vs Pierre Oulette. 

now don't get me wrong, i love the Quebecers and even their lowcard run in WCW as the Amazing French-Canadians, but i don't think most people expected anything out of this match and it ended up being a fantastic little ditty. 

Was this during the run in WWF where he was the pirate and they had the match because he stole Bret's jacket?

• Like 1

Theres one of those UWF TNA shows I saw that had an AJ Styles vs Jeff Hardy match were Jeff was incredibly sloppy and Off and AJ pulled a decent match out of his back pocket and looked visibly frustrated throughout it.

The Cena-Kahli has me wondering something with regards to Umaga: Was Umaga that good or did Cena and Jeff Hardy carry him to good matches?

Umaga was amazing at smashing jobbers. after reading on Wikipedia, i don't recall any specifics in his feuds before the Cena one (Flair, Kane).  that doesn't bode well for him, but at the time i enjoyed what i saw of him. so he gets a pass (at least in my eyes).

Steiners vs. Vader/Mr. Hughes at Clash XVIII should be considered this for Mr. Hughes. This match was awesome; Hughes took a couple awesome bumps. It's a tag match, but still. I had recently watched a ton of AWA and some 1993 WWF, and Hughes is patently awful, so when I saw this match, I couldn't believe how good he was in this thing. 

Good squash match where a little guy is squashing a big guy. Benoit is vicious attacking the knee (which sets up the finish), and muscles a guy twice his size over for an impressive looking super plex. Also some vintage Larry Z commentary here (human chess, new world odor, and a sexist comment all in less than 8 minutes)

• Like 1

Came in here to say Triple H carrying Khali.  All these Warrior matches being mentioned... nah. Warrior held his own.

I always thought that just WM V was considered a carry job, not the ones that followed. . .

One of the only things in the Gary Hart book that came off as truly delusional was him calling Larry Z one of the best wrestling commentators ever.

I liked Larry Zybisco's commentating pre-NWO.   It also led to that awesome Zybisco-Regal series of matches.

Otunga was/is generally a bit under-rated, Not a natural wrestler, but natural heel. And if you can bump and feed, and stomp - the rest is icing really.

I don't know if this counts as a carry job but Orton vs Otunga Miracle on 34th Street Fight is the best thing Otunga has ever done

As I recall, Otunga bumping for empty cardboard boxes carried that match. Orton had nothing to do with it. 

Agreed, no carry job. They wisely avoid an Otunga control segment, but he bumps really well here and he's a natural heel. Orton says 'ho ho ho', giggles when he (accidentally, well maybe) hits Otunga in the head with his present throw and eats a Xmas treat - he's good here too. Goofy psycho tag-team Orton and Ambrose could actually work pretty well.

The Cena-Kahli has me wondering something with regards to Umaga: Was Umaga that good or did Cena and Jeff Hardy carry him to good matches?

Umaga was that good. He improved a lot as monster/big man in AJPW. Pretty sure its why he was brought back to WWE in the first place.