DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI

Matt D

Fabulous Swedish Waitress, on 07 Feb 2015 - 4:19 PM, said:Fabulous Swedish Waitress, on 07 Feb 2015 - 4:19 PM, said:Fabulous Swedish Waitress, on 07 Feb 2015 - 4:19 PM, said:

JCM, on 07 Feb 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:JCM, on 07 Feb 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:JCM, on 07 Feb 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

If anything this push of Roman has made people respect Cena more because we all know at least with Cena we'll get a good money promo, and a good ppv match.

You'd be surprised. Even in 2015, we don't all know that. 

Ambrose gets to work one of his Sandman tribute matches on the big stage, right? That's all I really want. 

I want an Ambrose/Rusev feud where the titty master wins over Lana and they do a bunch of skits where Ambrose is taking her to the sleaziest places imaginable(aka his usual stops), and Lana gradually turns into his Missy Hyatt.  Giving Dean a cigarette and a hot broad by his side = all the monies.

• Like 3

I think one of the main points people miss when talking about Reigns push is the fact that honestly in 2015, "cool athletic jock" types aren't liked in mainstream media AT ALL. Nowadays, nerds like Daniel Bryan ARE the new cool. Cool, good looking guy is basically now douche by default while nerds are lovable and easy to get behind. Breaking Bad, Big Bang, etc, have all led to this new geek chic revolution in society. Girls still want to fuck the douchebags, but that doesn't make them likable, it makes them bangable. No amount of improvement by Reigns is gonna make people like him much, unless you have that 1% charisma that a guy like Rock has, which Reigns clearly doesn't.

I made this same point over in the SAS thread.  Vince really should make more effort to figure out millennials.  

I want an Ambrose/Rusev feud where the titty master wins over Lana and they do a bunch of skits where Ambrose is taking her to the sleaziest places imaginable(aka his usual stops), and Lana gradually turns into his Missy Hyatt.  Giving Dean a cigarette and a hot broad by his side = all the monies.

The problem with that is Rusev and Lana are a great act and Rusev has been more impressive in singles competition than Dean has.  I still need to see Ambrose do a little more than a 1997 ECW tribute act. He's a great promo but in the ring he's been "there".

We do realize the jock vs nerd trope can be done to great effect?  Right?  Guys (and dweeb girls) can root for the nerd because they can picture themselves as him, and girls (and some guys) can cheer for the jock because they can picture themselves being with him.

Everyone can go home happy with this.

Brock/Taker wasnt bad considering taker got knocked out midway through the match. That said the money is in the one facing the one who beat taker.

EDIT: Meant to say the one is the guy who beats Brock to become the one who beat the one. That's what I get for swyping on my phone.

Ambrose's best singles matches were non Raw matches like the stuff vs Del Rio, Bray, and Cesaro. Dean still needs to flesh out his move set to be a top WWE baby face. He could use a better finish, and I'd like to see some more mat work. He could start using a Bob Backlund cross face chicken wing complete with psycho facial expressions. I really can't stand how the modern WWE audience has been conditioned to think mat work = boring or resting. Bryan can't even seem to get it over.

I think Dean's ring work is good enough, he's a fantastic seller, good bumper, and imo is a stunner or diamond cutter like move away from breaking out. There's still the chance he could have his breakout moment be with a promo ala Punk. Punk wasn't that great at anything offensively, but he had a good finish and really mastered the WWE main event style.

Punk had a good 2 - 3 years to master the WWE main event style before he really took off after the Summer of Punk, working with guys like Jeff Hardy and Rey Mysterio and The Undertaker. All of the Shield guys got hotshotted to upper or main event status pretty quickly. If you let Ambrose work with someone who's already established that they understand and can really work that main event style, I think he could benefit from it. Working with Rollins and Bray* produced good matches, sure, but it didn't help him grasp the main event style any more than before those programs. It's too bad Orton will return as a face, because he'd be the perfect guy to help Ambrose get to that spot he needs to be at with his work. I agree, though, that he's one move away from really connecting with the crowd. The finish he had before, and the current Double Arm DDT, just won't do that. I don't know what move will, but he needs to find it, fast, or he'll be the Shield member that gets lost in the shuffle.

*I really liked the Wyatt/Ambrose matches and mic work, not so much the feud itself.

My default response to "This guy needs a new finisher" will always be the poison mist.

Until someone starts using it, it remains the best spot not being used in WWE.

Ambrose should use a hobo mist comprised of pigeons, fecal matter, dogs, baby fingers, grass, and toilet wine.

• Like 3

My default response to "This guy needs a new finisher" will always be the poison mist.

Until someone starts using it, it remains the best spot not being used in WWE.

Close, but Bray having the taped thumb and not using the Asiatic Spike is right there. If he started choking fools out with that he'd be over all his losses/booking mistakes in no time. 

Bryan already has his own version of the Boma Ye so that's not happening.

Reigns is screwed. The crowd is going to hate it if he wins. Hell, crowd will probably hate it if Brock wins.

If Brock's leaving, the (somewhat) obvious route is to have Reigns turn heel on Bryan and win the belt via some sort of screwjob. Then you have Bryan chase the belt for awhile. On the other hand, I've even less sold on Reigns' chances as a main-event heel.

If this news came from Meltzer, wouldn't all the other sites that steal from him have it. I just don't see wrestlingnews.co being a credible source

However if the rumor is true then Reigns is done already as a main event babyface. Also I can't imagine Vince giving up this soon on his plan. He seemingly made the decision to put the belt on Reigns as soon as he decided to have Lesnar beat Taker.

This all seems like a way to get people to believe Bryan's going to win on the 22nd

I would be surprised if Rollins isn't involved in the main event one way or another. I don't see how anyone can think Brock/Reigns headlining Mania in a 20 minute match is a good idea. It's like Austin said neither one of those guys in very adept at leading a match, and if the crowd goes sour it could get real ugly.

If this news came from Meltzer, wouldn't all the other sites that steal from him have it. I just don't see wrestlingnews.co being a credible source

...so a story become less credible because less credible sites steal it from a more credible source?

Pretty much. 

I would be surprised if Rollins isn't involved in the main event one way or another. I don't see how anyone can think Brock/Reigns headlining Mania in a 20 minute match is a good idea. It's like Austin said neither one of those guys in very adept at leading a match, and if the crowd goes sour it could get real ugly.

Why not have Reigns/Brock go 15 minutes, Ambrose stops Rollins for successfully cashing in. Sure you've still damaged Reigns more, but you haven't outright killed him by taking him out of the main event or having him share it.

If they take Reigns out of the main event, is he the first legitimate Rumble winner to not wrestle the champion at Mania? Austin in 97' was eliminated but the refs didn't see it, and in '99 Vince wasn't in the match for a majority of the match.

Reigns should be a heel while he figures himself out. Weirdly enough, if he turns, his career will be paralleling Rock's.

Rising heel turning face seems to work better than a face force-fed from the beginning. Rollins could have been a decent enough face when the Shield broke up (like Ambrose is), but he'll be MASSIVELY over when he turns after being the bad guy all this time.

I don't think Reigns heel turn really works since Seth is better at it than Reigns is. I'd probably have Reigns be a tweener not be a traditional babyface like Bryan, but not be a traditional WWE heel like Rollins. Have him somewhere in-between where one month he can feud with Bryan and then the next he can feud with Rollins. He won't help out any babyface or heel unless it's Ambrose and Ambrose is getting beat up by more than two men.

Why not have Reigns/Brock go 15 minutes, Ambrose stops Rollins for successfully cashing in. Sure you've still damaged Reigns more, but you haven't outright killed him by taking him out of the main event or having him share it.

If they take Reigns out of the main event, is he the first legitimate Rumble winner to not wrestle the champion at Mania? Austin in 97' was eliminated but the refs didn't see it, and in '99 Vince wasn't in the match for a majority of the match.

Well, Triple H lost his No. 1 Contendership to Kurt Angle at No Way Out in 2002, but of course he won it back the next night at Raw.

(Man Angle vs. Jericho headlining Wrestlemania without all the Stephanie/Triple H bullshit would have been great.)

Well, Triple H lost his No. 1 Contendership to Kurt Angle at No Way Out in 2002, but of course he won it back the next night at Raw.

(Man Angle vs. Jericho headlining Wrestlemania without all the Stephanie/Triple H bullshit would have been great.)

But he still got his shot. It's amazing how much WWE could have fixed everything by having Bryan not come back until after the Rumble, then have Brock beat him at Fast Lane.