DVDVR Message Board

Raw 11-17-14

MGFanJay

I like the idea that Harper and Rowan, having been set free by Bray, would have different philosophies. Harper always seemed aware of the destruction the Wyatt Family was causing. Rowan seemed more like a simpleton who followed along.

A little time away from Bray's influence reveals Harper as being a mean dude who likes hurting people, and who is willing to follow a leader (Bray or The Authority) with questionable ethics.

Rowan, however, seems to have woken up to the world around him. No longer concerned with "saving" people he can focus on the important things...pretty girls, stuffed cats and balancing the scales of justice by joining a squad that's short a man or two. The chance to get some vengeance on Harper (who used to slap him and push him around in their matches) might just be the icing on the cake.

You gave this A LOT more thought than WWE creative...

I mean, heaven forbid someone run to the ring without any music playing. Is that really not a thing that can happen anymore? It ties into the suspension of disbelief issues I have with the overall product right now.

By that same token, it pisses me off that everyone must do their entrance in the exact same fashion all the time. Booked in a 3-on-1 handicap match, Dolph? Doesn't matter. Go wiggle your ass on the stage first!

• Like 1

Brie dressed as AJ was so cute. Brie's a sexy gal and all, but she has a really adorable smile. Thought it was unneeded to have AJ take out both chicks tho. idk But at least they did something different with the 'divas dressed as other divas' bit they've done in every major diva feud in the last 5 years. Hope Nikki fucks AJ's ass up tbh

Harper getting the IC Belt is so damn refreshing. Everyone else seems to think Ziggles is this amazing worker, but he really isn't interesting to watch. At all.

I am usually down with the shows being booked around Cena, but damn. Between Steph not wanting to put anyone over and booking that seems like some monkey is throwing darts at a spinning wheel, it's hard to get invested in anything.

• Like 1

Grumpy Cat must be well behaved.  My cat lets me pick her up and hold her because she adores me, but if anyone else does, she does not care for it in the least bit and will put a stop to it.  If you sit somewhere in the house she'll eventually come to you and want to to mingle or sit in your lap, etc.  But picking her up?  No way.  Meanwhile Grumpy Cat is just chilling with everyone. 

Grumpy Cat must be well behaved. My cat lets me pick her up and hold her because she adores me, but if anyone else does, she does not care for it in the least bit and will put a stop to it. If you sit somewhere in the house she'll eventually come to you and want to to mingle or sit in your lap, etc. But picking her up? No way. Meanwhile Grumpy Cat is just chilling with everyone.

The Authority segments make me nearly comatose, so I can see why Grumpy Cat was so docile.

I mean, heaven forbid someone run to the ring without any music playing. Is that really not a thing that can happen anymore? It ties into the suspension of disbelief issues I have with the overall product right now.

On one hand, I totally get that, but on the other hand, it's a convention of the reality. It'd be like watching 'Disney on Ice' and getting annoyed that the rogue keeps twirling and landing double axles instead of just skating directly towards the princess to save her from the witch.

It isn't, though - it came about in the last 10-15 years at some point.

The reason it's stupid is because the save was time-sensitive - your team captain is standing alone in a ring with 9 of his enemies, maybe you should go save him instead of waiting for your music and pyro? What's to stop the whole Authority from beating Cena down while his idiot partners are posing on the ramp? Or while he's out there ringside blabbing for ten minutes before they got there, for that matter? The whole segment was laid out poorly, and it would have taken very minor adjustments to things like that to make it come off better. The whole "music pops the crowd" argument doesn't even work in this instance - Ryback, Dolph, and Show all had matches earlier in the show, so their music had been played multiple times already. Rowan's music is still the same as Harper's awful music for whatever reason, which just confused the crowd more than anything.

This isn't the same thing as "why doesn't [x] just not keep running when he gets whipped into the ropes?" because it's an invention of WWE Creative, not an entrenched wrestling trope. And it's the type of thing that makes people that aren't wrestling fans say "that's really fucking stupid," because it is. It's an embarrassment. 

The whole segment was laid out poorly, and it would have taken very minor adjustments to things like that to make it come off better. 

I normally dislike the music playing before someone comes in for the save, but I thought it worked in this case.  The point of the segment was to finally reveal Team Cena after weeks of The Authority thwarting his efforts to put together a team. Stretching it out in dramatic fashion worked for me.  Cena was never in physical danger out there.  There were no threats of violence.

I'm curious, though, how you would have laid out the segment and still kept the "reveal" aspect of it?  Cena staying on the ramp to begin with is about all I can come up with, but he was there for a contract signing and the contract was in the ring.  He didn't even know he'd have a team when the segment started.

I normally dislike the music playing before someone comes in for the save, but I thought it worked in this case. The point of the segment was to finally reveal Team Cena after weeks of The Authority thwarting his efforts to put together a team. Stretching it out in dramatic fashion worked for me. Cena was never in physical danger out there. There were no threats of violence.

On the contrary - The Authority had promised to decimate Team Cena all night, and had done just that. They said "decimate" about 15 times.

I'm curious, though, how you would have laid out the segment and still kept the "reveal" aspect of it? Cena staying on the ramp to begin with is about all I can come up with, but he was there for a contract signing and the contract was in the ring. He didn't even know he'd have a team when the segment started.

Well, for one, I would never close a Raw with a contract signing segment, let alone a go-home Raw for a PPV that is extremely important to the company. There has never been an exciting contract signing segment on Raw. Ever. The "reveal" aspect fell flat because everyone knew Ryback would join and nobody cared about Rowan. If they were going to go the swervy "surprise" route (and they shouldn't have - waiting until 6 days before Survivor Series to sell it is bad business), they really should've come up with better surprises.

If there aren't further changes (Orton) waiting around the corner on Sunday, this has the potential to be the worst PPV of the year, from both a storyline and match standpoint. The way Orton was written off TV *begs* for his return in this match. It's the natural progression of the storyline. And it looks like he isn't going to show up.

I'm usually the one laughing at the sky-is-falling PowerPBs of the world, but this buildup has been a disaster.

I loved AJ's totally honest and nonchalant "Well she looks better in it than I do" reaction to Brie's outfit. I only killed the x4 speed because I had to double take on AJ Brie, but that made the segment worth it.

Can't say I'm any more excited for the ppv, but I'm totally behind Harper and Rusev as midcard champions. Hopefully Miz and Mizdow win the tag belts on Sunday.

Grumpy Cat must be well behaved.  My cat lets me pick her up and hold her because she adores me, but if anyone else does, she does not care for it in the least bit and will put a stop to it.  If you sit somewhere in the house she'll eventually come to you and want to to mingle or sit in your lap, etc.  But picking her up?  No way.  Meanwhile Grumpy Cat is just chilling with everyone. 

Her owner has often mentioned that she's generally very docile and well-behaved and that all the handling she experiences is kept to a minimum.  All the photos the wrestlers took with her were likely all taken at the same time and I wouldn't be surprised if the backstage segments were pre-taped then as well.  My cat typically won't go near anyone other than me, but I've known plenty of others that were almost as sociable as dogs.  The car wash I go to has a cat that lives in the waiting room and will hop up and sit with anyone who is friendly.