DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Six posts on Bayley...wow we are desperate.

The Divas division is a conundrum. Historically women's matches have not sold one seat, but the reality show (yes, it's terrible, the angles played out of Raw are awful, the ratings are down this season) did bring some more female fans. Do they have a horse like a Ronda Rousey that someone will pay money to see? Maybe Charlotte, but the rest are just not stars and the fan base hasn't reacted to matches or popped ratings for them wrestling. Maybe some blood will help.

They need to learn to appeal to women which means women writers for the Women's Division and women announcers.

The only thing you sell with male dominated announce teams and writers for women's matches are sex.

They have to treat the Wmen's division totally different. During the Attitude Era it was all about who was in Playboy; now it is all about Total Divas.

In terms of Bayley, they have something special with her but need to develop it right. That innocent girl is a perfect cross sale to someone like Nickelodeon or Disney. She hits that with her hugs, innocence, and smiles but it takes some good writing to sell it.

If they brought her up and created a line of Bayley bows for girls to wear it could be huge. Same goes for her tights if you sell them as workout leggings. Women love fashionable stuff without logos.

I had this discussion in a hockey group about why merchandise sales to women are so poor. I said that you have to make stuff that appeals to them. As a test I mentioned team logos on yoga pants. In twelve hours every woman in the group liked the post and said they would buy a pair.

If you want to sell to women you have to market to them.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the main roster divas. Lost in all of the all time bad acting and angles are the fact that both Bellas are actually pretty good in the ring(especially Nikki) and Brie got herself over pretty well until they made her "act" and booked her like a pathetic idiot. I'm not even going to try and make sense of the Paige/AJ feud, and I doubt whoever is booking it knows what the fuck is going on either.

• Like 1

Writers write for Vince's tastes.  As long as that's the case, we're only going to have two kinds of women's angles: GIRL A and GIRL B are vile, shallow, catty bitches to each other or GIRL A is a repressed lesbian who wants to fuck GIRL B.

Someone said it here before: WWE writers are the service of an insane king.  You can't fantasy book about how they should bring up a particular woman when the head guy in charge has weird issues with the opposite sex that always seem to come out in the writing.  How many angles did Trish Stratus have where another girl was obsessed with her and wanted to fight/fuck/kill her?  I can think of three.

Writers write for Vince's tastes.  As long as that's the case, we're only going to have two kinds of women's angles: GIRL A and GIRL B are vile, shallow, catty bitches to each other or GIRL A is a repressed lesbian who wants to fuck GIRL B.

It's not like the NXT face divas are written any better.  (Other than Paige) All of them are these weird preteen girl archetypes.

I think the face divas are just fine in NXT. Bayley for young female fans is the equivalent of John Cena for young male fans. That gimmick is meant to appeal to girls in the crowd. I don't see how that is creepy in any way. 

I suspect that since HHH has young daughters, this affects the sort of gimmicks that some of the women in NXT - Bayley and Alexa Bliss specifically - have right now. To be totally fair, Becky Lynch is a face and is working a Lita tribute gimmick, which isn't focused on younger girls necessarily.

I like the idea of wrestling as a big tent affair that has something for everyone, so I'm encouraged that NXT is actually acknowledging that young girls might have interests that they should represent through their characters. I think it's weird that Vince has this idea of WWE as a variety show, but there's very little variety really in terms of trying to attract different demographics. 

• Like 4

I feel sorry for the main roster divas. Lost in all of the all time bad acting and angles are the fact that both Bellas are actually pretty good in the ring(especially Nikki) and Brie got herself over pretty well until they made her "act" and booked her like a pathetic idiot. I'm not even going to try and make sense of the Paige/AJ feud, and I doubt whoever is booking it knows what the fuck is going on either.

They killed #BrieMode :(.

But the crowd is into watching her kick ovaries, so there's that. Brie as an not as charismatic or athletic Daniel Bryan ain't the worst thing on the show. The crowd has fun chanting yes.

Did someone really want Bayley to be the hugging version of Ziggler's debut gimmick?

It works for kids which is the demographic you are targeting with her character.  It also plays into the whole anti-bullying message the WWE spreads.

We don't get it as older males but we are not the target in terms of merchandise sales.

The whole idea with Bayley is that your daughter turns to you at the merchandise stand or at home and says she wants a Bayley bow and you buy it to make her happy.

They killed #BrieMode :(.

But the crowd is into watching her kick ovaries, so there's that. Brie as an not as charismatic or athletic Daniel Bryan ain't the worst thing on the show. The crowd has fun chanting yes.

Brie as imitation-Bryan is like frozen yogurt. It reminds you of ice cream, and healthwise, it makes more sense, but really, you want ice cream.

...it was this or a heroin-methodone comparison.

• Like 1

When's the last time that they has been anyone around as long as the Bellas who seems to have no talent, are not over and nobody cares about?

Kane is still around 15+ years later. Although he has some talent.

But Kane can get over if he's motivated (Team Hell No wasn't THAT long ago). When he doesn't care though, he's god awful.