DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Filler 6-2-14

MGFanJay

This "Shield are the greatest faction ever" nonsense really needs to stop.

Let's start in the last 10 years. From an in-ring perspective or kayfabe perspective, name a stable that was more successful then the SHIELD.

Now try 20.

Now try 30.

No try ever.

The only answer I can come up with is the Horsemen.

The Dangerous Alliance.

That is very good counterpoint, and could lead to a great debate.

Has the Shield even had storyline with the guys being forced to make shitty promo writing, goofy segments, and nonsensical reasoning work like other top acts?

They've been so well protected, it will be interesting to see if any of the three could actually do that..

To bring up a comment from earlier in the thread, some said the point of a stable is to have them break up and become singles stars. If that's a fair definition, then I'd argue the SHIELD did it's job better then any stable in history: in a year and a half, the SHIELD went from NXT callups to being legitimate top acts in the wrestling world. That's a great run.

Evolution is right fucking there dude holy shit

Rollins character is a "builder."  All he cares about is the success of his projects.  He is amoral in that way.  Lawful Evil, maybe.  He likes order and structure but does not apply to it any sense of right and wrong other than success and failure.

His natural state, then, is as a heel.  That's how he formed The  Shield.  It makes sense he would move on when the project no longer seems to be working "correctly" or he was offered a more attractive and powerful machine to play with.

Meanwhile Dean has a demented sense of right and wrong that is is basis for everything.  He could go heel, but he would do it out of a sense that he had been wronged, that the world had turned on him and he needed to exact some just retribution.  Chaotic good?

Roman has the blandest motivation, and so is the most naturally a WWE face, bland "warrior's honor" stuff.  Lawful Neutral.

Rollins' turn makes the most sense and has the most potential.  He's also the guy whose style justifies the biggest push right now and whose character could use the most defining.

• Like 2

I just watched the first hour, but I had two observations:

1. Bo Dallas has this great sleazy look that would make him more suited to be a heel-who-thinks-he's-a-face throwback to a member of a 1980s "pretty boy" tag team like the Fabulous Ones. He could do it as a solo act fine, though. Do one of those Memphis-style videos to "Sharp Dressed Man" where he works out in his wrestling trunks, have him dress from the 70s and 80s and have him talk about how he's the women's pet, etc. Have him drag up fat chick plants from the crowd for pre-match kisses. The "Bo-lieve" gimmick is close, but doesn't quite play up his long, greasy-haired sleaziness.

2. Whatever they're paying Paul Heyman, they need to double it. I couldn't stop cracking up at how he could turn ANYTHING in the conversation into talk about how Brock broke Undertaker's streak. He's miles above everyone. He's one of those guys who's so good at what he does, he needs to be doing it - I'm glad he's working for someone in any capacity.

• Like 1

To bring up a comment from earlier in the thread, some said the point of a stable is to have them break up and become singles stars. If that's a fair definition, then I'd argue the SHIELD did it's job better then any stable in history: in a year and a half, the SHIELD went from NXT callups to being legitimate top acts in the wrestling world. That's a great run.

The SHIELD did it while being entertaining. Advantage SHIELD.

• Like 1

The Shield haven't actually done anything yet. I doubt any of those guys become the stars Batista and Orton became. We're talking about decade-long multiple world title stars, to be clear.

You were speaking in kayfabe terms. The reason The Shield (it isn't Nick Fury's SHIELD) beating Evolution so decisively is such a big deal is because, kayfabe-wise, Evolution is one of the greatest stables of all time.

If your argument is based on not liking Evolution personally, then yeah, I guess there isn't an argument.

It will interesting how history judges the shield. You can certainly point out their weaknesses, which are perfectly valid. They are far better as a unit than in singles matches. No one outside of Ambrose is a great promo.

However, how many acts have ever brought the house down on a nightly basis the way the Shield did. How many times did you turn on a random Smackdown and catch a motyc out of them?  The Shield have had too many classic matches to count.  We've been spoiled.

You can't make the same argument about any other faction or tag team in recent memory.

Guess I am the only who thinks you guys have fucking killed the titty thing to death. Wasn't really funny to begin with.

Wade getting left to the babyface version of the wolves because his partner decided he was above jobbing is how he started how he lost the title last year... :(

Good to see a divas match with a purpose for once. Aksana didn't look absolutely horrible, for once.

And I just read that JR thinks Seth can talk. Um, not with that voice. Jiminy Cricket.

You know, I've had my eye on the title of "cuddliest poster" for 2014, but I simply must retort.

You are one joyless motherfucker.

• Like 5

In Kayfabe terms:

1) The Shield came out of nowhere and ran roughshod over the entire promotion. Evolution had Ric Flair and HHH -- the Greatest Of All Time and someone else very high on that kayfabe list. They had Orton and Batista, but Orton was a second generation made man from the jump. Batista didn't do much solo wise until after Evolution broke up. The Shield had a lot more to do in order to own the yard. Flair invented the yard. HHH owned it. Then they added young bucks. ADVANTAGE: Shield

2) Evolution had a ton of titles. The Shield had the tag champs and a hardly defended US Title. HOWEVER, The Shield's reason for being wasn't title driven. They were mercenaries/henchmen there to take paychecks and do the bidding of whoever was signing them, be it Paul E. or The Authority. If The Shield acted as an independent entity this whole time, they'd have a lot more in their collection based on their results. WASH

3) Reigns has the record for must Rumble eliminations. That's a huge individual achievement. It's not winning The Rumble, but it's still a major accolade and it happened in his very first Rumble. Seth lasted second longest in his first Rumble. Dean also lasted until after the final entrant, which I hold as a benchmark for Rumble success. It's the equivalent of making it to the jury on Survivor. True, Batista won. But he came in at 28 and only eliminated Reigns, I believe. He got a lucky number and ran with it. Overall, though, The Shield had a much better collective Rumble. And it was their first Rumble, which is a completely different type of match that involves different strategies and negated their Band of Brothers style, especially since it's when Ambrose started to go rogue. ADVANTAGE: SHIELD

4) The Shield's overall record is historic. How many pinfalls has Reigns had since his career? I think it's less than 5. His first came in an 11-on-3 match. One came in the war against The Wyatts. I think there were a few singles defeats but he's a rookie. And an overwhelming amount of those wins The Shield has came without cheating. They were heels that won by actually winning. I'm not going to back through the archives to track Evolution's success rate and how they won matches. But I highly doubt it's what The Shield did. ADVANTAGE: SHIELD

5) The Shield beat Evolution twice. The last time came 3-0. You can't get better than that.

• Like 2

Guess I am the only who thinks you guys have fucking killed the titty thing to death. Wasn't really funny to begin with.

Wade getting left to the babyface version of the wolves because his partner decided he was above jobbing is how he started how he lost the title last year... :(

Good to see a divas match with a purpose for once. Aksana didn't look absolutely horrible, for once.

And I just read that JR thinks Seth can talk. Um, not with that voice. Jiminy Cricket.

You know, I've had my eye on the title of "cuddliest poster" for 2014, but I simply must retort.

You increased your candidacy: the committee encourages honesty.

• Like 2

IN NON-KAYFABE TERMS:

If you were to list the Top 50 matches of the past two years, The Shield are probably in at least 30 of those matches in some fashion. And a lot of those are at the absolute top of the list. The Elimination Chamber match is in the argument for the current MOTD. The Rollins/Reigns vs. Rhodes Brothers matches last year were high on the 2013 list. I put the Raw title change as my MOTY last year, but I'm weird like that. The Battleground match was just as awesome. There's not too many matches last year better than that.

The whole WWE Dragon Gate style revolved around them. The WWE has a ridiculous amount of content to fill. Is there a better possible way to fill that content by having 30 minutes a show dedicated to some absolutely amazing matches? That's how you do it.

Tag team wrestling is my favorite kind of wrestling. I know I'm not alone in this opinion. In-ring storytelling just gets so great in tag matches. The WWE's tag division became so incredibly awesome these past two years. That doesn't happen without The Shield.

They also had a ton of great singles matches. I remember Bryan vs. Rollins being a friggin' epic.

I don't remember much about The Evolution 1.0 era. I remember HHH's Thumbs Down to Orton and that's it.

You got people defending the Shield against FSW. That seems like a much bigger lost cause. :)