DVDVR Message Board

The Great WWE Stock Crash of 2014

Reed

It escalated, but he made a post backing up what he thought, which is all I ever REALLY want out of him.

See why I keep legit opinions to a minimum? I said a band sucked and this guy who is apparently tougher than anyone beneath Brock Lesnar level wants to force himself on me.

50/50 booking is garbage in wrestling. Hell, parity sucks in most non-NFL sports. I want to see Hogan vs. Warrior, Austin vs. HBK, Lakers vs. Celtics, Yankees vs. Red Sox, etc, etc. I don't care about Indians vs. Orioles or Raptors vs. Nets.

I want to see two (or four in tags) entertaining guys fight in a match where the finish is in doubt because I can't see a way either guy loses, not because both guys lose half the time. That's what made Shield vs. Wyatts so awesome at Elimination Chamber. You had two stables that were well protected and won all the time, squaring off and just killing each other.

I wholeheartedly endorse the return of the squash match, but I understand how three hours of Ace programming on Monday nights can make that kinda difficult.

Hilarious how at first you're the authority on toughness, while insulting several people in the process with inflammatory fighting words... and then once someone gets tough with you, you turn into chicken shit heel miz circa 2010.

Just to be clear: youre basically accusing him of pulling one of these...

sherm1.gif?w=325&h=185

My issue with FSW's (who I like) take on pro wres in 2014 is that he trolls as a guy who hates The Shield. They are tough guys who are prepared to receive as much punishment as they dish out. Dean is a wild brawler who will scratch and claw his way out of a bad situation. Seth is the guy who puts his life on the line every time he steps through the curtain. Roman is about as traditional beefy ass kicker as it gets..

• Like 1

Guess I'll jump in before we get locked...

Oh for the love of fuck don't you destroy what little cool pro wres is left with your awful generic mason jar bullshit music.

They make a good argument for why the current fanbase sucks. 

They want everything that makes wrestling great strained from it, until it is a generic blob. The "trash" as some call it, are what gives wrestling life. 

I grew up on Mid-South/NWA.  Those tough guys and that brand of trashy fan are perfect and wrestling needs more of that.  There's a grit to that.  There's not a grit to the type of mongoloid 'rasslin' fan that ran off for MMA, and the WWE shouldn't bother trying to get that back.  

Anyway the original question deserves a proper answer. Pro wres is at it's finest when tough guys are being tough. The staged nature of it means you don't have to worry about your cokehead roid-gutted unironic-mohawk-sporting superstar getting knocked out hilariously by guys that can't fill his shows.

C'mon, that's a fauxhawk, nobody wears those ironically.  Mohawks are pointy and contain egg whites.  Wrestling does need more long hair, though.

Tough guys in pro wres generally get to show how tough they are in tremendous ways, action movie ways. That's what is cool about pro wrestling.

So The Shield.

You'll get terrible shitty guys with terrible shitty music doing terrible shitty things. 

Randy Orton?  

The real problem with pro wrestling is that nobody kicks anyone's ass consistently. I know everyone hates it, but the best thing about an undercard is having them get mown down by the top guys. Steve Austin wants to know who ran him over? Might as well beat everyone up until someone cracks. 

So The Shield.

Imagine how poorly 2014 Steve Austin would be booked? 

He'd be booked however the fuck he wanted to be booked.  He oozes charisma and tells writers to fuck off.  He'd go right to Vince and get whatever he wanted.  Hell, he talks about how guys need to do more of this all the time on his podcast.  If CM Punk can whine his way into one of the longest title runs of all time, I'm pretty sure Stone Cold Steve Austin could get himself booked as strong as...well...The Shield.  

There are a decent number of guys who they could make into Steve Austin or Harley Race or Meng if they wanted. 

You can't make those guys.

Marvelous series of posts there, btw  

Oh and since someone mentioned it:  I'd happily pay for the Network with no PPVs, especially if they subbed it with more territory stuff.  The PPVs weren't a factor in my subscription at all.

• Like 1

When I look at Ambrose I don't think gym rat and protein shakes. I think guy who shows up at college parties and deals weed to all the Freshmen.

Bro, say that to Piranesi's face IRL and see what happens, bro.

When I look at Ambrose I don't think gym rat and protein shakes. I think guy who shows up at college parties and deals weed to all the Freshmen.

Also would have accepted:

1) Gets behind the bar at a house party and tries to show off the 3 and a half drinks he knows how to mix

2) Tries to impress everyone by improvising a "blues" while drumming on a table and doesn't realize how racist he sounds when he tries to sing "black."

• Like 2

Guess I'll jump in before we get locked...

Oh for the love of fuck don't you destroy what little cool pro wres is left with your awful generic mason jar bullshit music.

They make a good argument for why the current fanbase sucks.

They want everything that makes wrestling great strained from it, until it is a generic blob. The "trash" as some call it, are what gives wrestling life.

I grew up on Mid-South/NWA. Those tough guys and that brand of trashy fan are perfect and wrestling needs more of that. There's a grit to that. There's not a grit to the type of mongoloid 'rasslin' fan that ran off for MMA, and the WWE shouldn't bother trying to get that back.

Anyway the original question deserves a proper answer. Pro wres is at it's finest when tough guys are being tough. The staged nature of it means you don't have to worry about your cokehead roid-gutted unironic-mohawk-sporting superstar getting knocked out hilariously by guys that can't fill his shows.

C'mon, that's a fauxhawk, nobody wears those ironically. Mohawks are pointy and contain egg whites. Wrestling does need more long hair, though.

Tough guys in pro wres generally get to show how tough they are in tremendous ways, action movie ways. That's what is cool about pro wrestling.

So The Shield.

You'll get terrible shitty guys with terrible shitty music doing terrible shitty things.

Randy Orton?

The real problem with pro wrestling is that nobody kicks anyone's ass consistently. I know everyone hates it, but the best thing about an undercard is having them get mown down by the top guys. Steve Austin wants to know who ran him over? Might as well beat everyone up until someone cracks.

So The Shield.

Imagine how poorly 2014 Steve Austin would be booked?

He'd be booked however the fuck he wanted to be booked. He oozes charisma and tells writers to fuck off. He'd go right to Vince and get whatever he wanted. Hell, he talks about how guys need to do more of this all the time on his podcast. If CM Punk can whine his way into one of the longest title runs of all time, I'm pretty sure Stone Cold Steve Austin could get himself booked as strong as...well...The Shield.

There are a decent number of guys who they could make into Steve Austin or Harley Race or Meng if they wanted.

You can't make those guys.

Marvelous series of posts there, btw

Oh and since someone mentioned it: I'd happily pay for the Network with no PPVs, especially if they subbed it with more territory stuff. The PPVs weren't a factor in my subscription at all.

Can't really argue with any of this, there's just something fake about them. Can't tell you what it is though.

• Like 1

Hilarious how at first you're the authority on toughness, while insulting several people in the process with inflammatory fighting words... and then once someone gets tough with you, you turn into chicken shit heel miz circa 2010.

STOP FUCKING UP MY THREAD I HAVEN'T EVEN DONE A DUPONT ANALYSIS FOR WWE'S RETURN ON EQUITY TO SHOW HOW SHITTY THE STOCK IS.

• Like 1

As much as I wanted to, no. Short sales are rather dangerous (unlimited downside as a stocks price can theoretically go to infinity) with a limited gain potential (100%, as a stock can't go lower than $0). Plus, if I was going to, I would've done so at $20ish, meaning I would've lost 50% on the way up to $30 only for 50% gain back down to $10. At the time I looked, the short interest (amount available to short) was incredibly limited, it would've been a real pain on that ride up from $20 to $30.

The other choice was to buy put options, but the bid/ask spreads were incredibly wide, and none of them had an expiration longer than 6 months. If I'm going to use options, I use longterm ones (Called LEAPS, which typically go out longer than a year, whereas non-LEAPS options [the majority of those on the market] expire every 3 to 6 months). Anything less than a year is short term speculation, which I don't partake in. Longterm is only way to beat the market, if I can't execute with a timeframe longer than at least a year for my thesis to pan out, I don't execute at all. Sadly, that was the case with WWE.

• Like 1