DVDVR Message Board

Raw 4-21-14

MGFanJay

For the record, I'm not turning on Emma. I'm turning on creative for sticking her with Santino vs. Fandango and (fill in the blank) on a seemingly infinite loop. Seriously fucking lazy, awful television.

Emma is just an instance of creative not understanding the character. You put a quirky character with a strong, credible character it's adorable. You put a quick character with another quirky character and it comes off as dumb and goofy.

On the plus side, the 12 weeks straight of Emma/Santino v Fandango/Dancer has led to Layla back on my tv multiple times a week.

Loved the opener and Bryan taking three tombstones, each worse than the one before. I'm sad to see Corporate Kane go, but whatever. They'll have a good match at Extreme Rules.

Wow, are they ever fucking up with Cesaro right now. Cesaro was on the verge of being the next face sensation, then he gets saddled with Heyman, who does nothing but troll the audience by repeating that Lesnar broke the streak. Cesaro stands there like a doofus, wrestles like he's a tweener, and then Cesaro and Heyman both go for the face reaction by calling for the giant swing. What the fuck is going on here?! Ugh...

Loved the dueling Evolution vs Shield promos. I though Rollins was pretty awesome on the stick. Even better was Reigns giving HHH their options. My one quibble though, is Reigns aping Dean's "cream puffs" insult. I was really hoping that the Shield would say fuck it and just attack everyone why Evolution runs off. I'm hoping we get that moment at some point.

The end of Raw was tremendous. Cena's clearly going to win again because he isn't going anywhere, but I'm enjoying the ride.

• Like 1

Save it for the Wyatts when people finally get tired of the gimmick come whatever the PPV in June is called.

Well, the people not in "bad cities" anyway.

June PPV is Payback and it's in Chicago.

Loved the dueling Evolution vs Shield promos. I though Rollins was pretty awesome on the stick. Even better was Reigns giving HHH their options. My one quibble though, is Reigns aping Dean's "cream puffs" insult. I was really hoping that the Shield would say fuck it and just attack everyone why Evolution runs off. I'm hoping we get that moment at some point.

Man, I'm in total disagreement on you here.  Evolution talks shit, Shield comes down pissed off, ready to kill, and so they...cut a promo?  It just came off flat to me, and it doesn't help when the heels stand there not selling anything you're saying.  I prefer Shield as asskickers not shittalkers.

At the very least, Shield should have come down after the 3MB match and killed all three of them (or four) and worked their way through the 11 guys that attacked them between now and Extreme Rules.

• Like 1

Guys, I need to know for sure if we're turning on Emma so I can get some pages ready for her in the Necronomiwcicon.

#Emmanomicon?

Also, all of us clamoring for a Wade Barrett IC title win is proof how badly wrestling fans have battered woman syndrome. The first three times really sucked, but this time it'll be different!

• Like 1

That friggin' Sheamus/Wade match was AWESOME. Just a great slugfest. Wade hitting the Bullhammer the way he did was great and straight out of the Cesaro playbook. I've always been a huge mark for that dude. His heel run as the Orwellian communist attempting to take over the WWE was some amazing work. I'm really glad he found a character that he's been able to get over again. The dude has "it" in spades -- a great look, a fun combination of being a big guy but also technically sound and a striker and he can work the mic.

Kane taking out Bryan like that was great. Kane went from corporate lackey to looking like he did when he debuted after about a 10 minute segment. That match is going to be a lot of fun and also puts a bow on the Team Hell No saga. I'm also guessing Sheamus goes heel soon (he's already acting heelish in his matches and he's flat as a face so why not?) and Bryan gets to wrap up that story, too.

I really wish crazy ass Ambrose just stormed after Evolution even though there was an army in front of them with Rollins and Reigns just saying f it and running with him. Hopefully that's the blow-off angle.

What I love most about Cesaro is that he hasn't hit The Swing since becoming The King of Swing, unless I'm missing a match. Also, notice how Paul keeps on talking about Lesnar with Cesaro in the background? When Lesnar shows up and Cesaro swings his ass around, this will have the biggest payoff imaginable. It's all about the build and the payoff. Cesaro has to go up against Swagger/Zeb first and then the big push can start. The dude's in the spot where they can pull the trigger on him whenever they want. It's the same with Roman Reigns, too. These guys are over as all get out but why fire the shots right now when you don't absolutely have to?

That's like what happened with Ryback. They pushed him to the moon to start. He got dumped on with Goldberg chants. He started to get over that but when it came time for him to go either as the main event or something else he was stuck -- Rock came back, Punk had the belt and they had to do their thing for the Cena/Rock rematch, which is where the money for year was coming from. Imagine if Ryback came in with what he did last night, as this weirdo energy drinking storyteller? Or if he started with his bully routine and then decided to put down another heel? I don't know if the guy has what it takes to be a main event guy but what they tried to do with him didn't work.

As far as what does work -- Man, Bray vs. Cena rules. That first Bray promo last night was one of the ages. I know I say that every week about Bray but it's so true. Rowan and Harper in the backlight was so friggin' awesome. And I loved how this match got spelled out. Bray wants to take the Cenation. And why? Because John Cena is the walking, talking manifestation of everything wrong with Bray's version of the world. We're told we can do anything we want but we're in a world policed by wolves (police, armies, politicians, etc.) who are controlled by the pigs (capitalists/corporatists). They create people like John Cena. But he's opened our eyes and everyone will soon join him in his quest to bring down the machine. He's Got The Whole World In His Hands.

As far as the match/angle goes -- of course that's how it should have went. They're selling a cage match on the whole "Bray needs his minions" thing. Cena would have beat Bray last night but Harper and Rowan beat his ass to the point where Bray could cradle Cena's skull and sway the masses even more.

I think that's a wee bit unfair. That segment had the feel of a NWO segment from back in the day where like 10 people had to talk. Reigns was the 6th person to talk during that segment. I can't remember the last time there was something like that.