DVDVR Message Board

I imagine Steve Austin doing a remake of Dave Attell's Insomniac would be a blast.

I would watch Steve do a remake of almost anything. Man vs Food, Flip this House, Pimp My Ride, a judge on show cooking show. He's a natural host, I'd be amazed if he doesn't wind up a perennial on television in some form.

I imagine Steve Austin doing a remake of Dave Attell's Insomniac would be a blast.

I would watch Steve do a remake of almost anything. Man vs Food, Flip this House, Pimp My Ride, a judge on show cooking show. He's a natural host, I'd be amazed if he doesn't wind up a perennial on television in some form.
In one of the recent podcasts he insinuated that he was moving in that direction, away from movies.

I just don't understand the Nash hate. 

Even if he's the person that did all of the horrible shit you folks said that he did, he didn't rape a puppy or anything. He's just a dumb, drunk rassler. That's the sort of shit DVDVR used to eat up. Take that smark rage shit over to Scott Keith's blog. 

That is nothing compared to the Brutus Beefcake hate in the wrestler of the day thread.

His supposed intelligence comes from being a seven foot tall guy who was consistently employed in pro wrestling. 

Nah. It's more like he did whatever he could to protect his position and make the most money while taking the fewest bumps.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed watching Rock/Austin from WM17 while listening to Austin's commentary, it was a really interesting look into wrestling. It was like watching a movie with directors commentary. Would enjoy hearing him do other matches or to hear other wrestlers do something similar with some of their matches.

I havent seen that match since '01, he seems very critical of his work but that match was a masterpiece. Makes me want to watch the first 3 WWF PPVs of '01.

I know Austin says he shouldve never turned heel but if he coulldve been more late '96 early '97 Austin it wouldve worked plus Rock leaving right after WM didnt help even thought I loved seeing him work Jericho & Benoit if Rock coulda stayed around just 2 more months it woulda worked better for Austin

The older and run down Austin having to sell his soul to regain the title is a classic story and pretty much the only way you could turn Austin at that point. It's what happened afterwards that didn't click, and as you said, the #1 babyface that Austin just royally screwed over leaving was the biggest blow.

The story of McMahon helping Austin was pretty well done. Leading into Mania, he talked about how he'd do ANYTHING to become WWF Champion again. The story was simple: Austin wanted to be the WWF Champion more than anything in the world and would do anything to achieve that end.

Now, it would've totally in character for Austin to shake Vince's hand, flip him the bird, stun him and down some beer. The next night on RAW, Austin laughs about how fooled Vince McMahon into helping him win the WWF Championship. There was no real logical argument for Austin aligning with Vince. You can't really use the whole "Vince can help me keep the title" narrative since Vince was laughably incompetent at ensuring that the WWF Title stayed with the guys he favored. With Rock out of the way anyway, Austin goes on to feud with Triple H.

The only time Austin and McMahon should've aligned was during the Invasion and even then, it should've been an uneasy alliance. And Austin should've been reluctant to even trust Vince then. The last time Austin helped Vince achieve a moralistic goal (saving Stephanie from The Undertaker), it turned out to be a giant setup by Vince.  The Texas Rattlesnake should've also been the reluctant leader of the WWF. Austin's character at its core was a loner who only reluctantly associated with other people. 

Fuck, they wasted a lot of character development with that turn. 

The idea of Austin & HHH as the two man power trip, putting aside their differences in the name of holding the gold and fending off the young up-and-comers and protecting their spots could have been good.  It wouldn't be a bad bit to rehash with Cena/Orton.