DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/6 - 3/12/2024 - The Last Great American Dynasty

Dig the return of the tunnels - less so the music. Swerve/Joe/Cole promo was totally fine. It nicely positioned some top stars without getting drippy. I would've liked a word from (recently excellent promo man) Wardy. Bennett/Taven v Joe/Swerve worked to move along the story, but kinda lame to kill the ROH Tag Champions. Very much looking forward to Joe v Wardy. Bucks promo was on point. Hook v Brian Cage was well worked, but I'm completely exhausted with all the No DQ bouts lately. I wish Jungle Jack had successfully killed off the WWE Hardcore er FTW Title. Tag Tournament Video left a little to be desired, but served it's purpose. Orange/Besties promo was good. I like a Trent/Orange team. Killswitch v Daddy Magic was an odd choice that I didn't not enjoy. Christian on commentary was a nice little gift. Mother Wayne obviously rules. Loved the Christian/Copeland chase. I find myself curious to see what a Nick Wayne v Daniel Garcia match might look like. Copeland's annoucement for the Toronto match got me excited. Kyle O'Reilly promo was good. Nice to see him back. Sting/Revolution Video was excellent. A lot of well purposed/well served videos this week. Bucks/Kingston/Okada segment was excellent. I love Okada as a heel! And loved that look he threw the camera. Kingston is a great choice for Okada's first feud. Statlander v Riho was everything I kinda assumed it might be. Very good bout with some Sports and Entertainment. Toni Storm promo was excellent. Nice recap of the underrated Deonna v Toni bout. What a shame to sully such good work with the backwards booking of the heel/babyface dynamic. Nice set of Julia/Willow promos. I really like seeing Willow finding her voice on the mic. Still hoping for Willowmania to run wild sooner than later. Totally down for Riho v Willow. Darby/Jay White promo was pretty terrific. Excellent step up from both guys. So happy to see Jay sorta out of that foul smelling Scissor gang vacuum. Darby v Jay is gonna rawk! House of Black promo was pretty alright for a change. Odd choice doing back to back HOB promos. Mark Briscoe promo was great as per usual. Hmm, where's this Lethal/Jarrett collaboration going? Ospreay v Fletcher was a fun debut for Will the Thrill. Fletcher was excellent in the match - as always. I kinda wish they'd finished on the gnarley Poisonrana. Don Callis is such a great commentator. Ospreay v Danielson, right the fuck on! Pretty strong follow-up to the excellent Revolution show. 

• Like 2

I saw a post on Twitter saying that the Okada turn on Kingston was Angle of the Year.  I wouldn't go that far, but I will fully admit thay my jaw legitmately dropped when Okada grabbed Kingston and hit the Rainmaker.

Me and a friend were brainstorming (more like wishful fantasy booking) what team CMLL should send over for the tag title tournament. I'm hoping for Averno/Mephisto (since Hechicero was one of the dudes who lost his visa), and he was more in tune for Atlantis and Atantis Jr.

• Like 2

I loved Ospreay/Fletcher, great main event. Lots of amazing sequences, the super poison rana was killer and the finish looked brutal. 

Shocked by the Okada turn, didn't see that coming but interested to see how that goes. Matthew doing the Tony K "thanks guys" announcement intro was hilarious. 

Brian Cage/Hook was fun.  Love to see Riho get the big win, like Skye last week.

Gonna take some getting used to no longer hearing "Light the fuse!" with the change in Dynamite themes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

I wouldn't go that far, but I will fully admit thay my jaw legitmately dropped when Okada grabbed Kingston and hit the Rainmaker.

I mean, it took him a long time to actually hit it, that was a bit strange.

One thing I forgot to bring up, was Excalibur getting upset about Kenny Omega being fired from The Elite - he kept getting upset and saying that Omega was fired (from the company, not The Elite) was this just him not paying attention or being obtuse or what exactly? Boy, I sure hope someone got fired for that.

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

One thing I forgot to bring up, was Excalibur getting upset about Kenny Omega being fired from The Elite - he kept getting upset and saying that Omega was fired (from the company, not The Elite) was this just him not paying attention or being obtuse or what exactly? Boy, I sure hope someone got fired for that.

It's kind of hard to say, because it could go either way. Excalibur may have been just extra emotional after seeing the Bucks threaten Tony and then suspend Hangman, so he just jumped right to the worst possible conclusion. Or, he just wasn't prepared for what was happening and just started spouting off. I'm remembering when Punk got hurt after he won the AEW Title the first time and cut that promo on Rampage, and nobody actually knew what was happening, until a couple of segments later when they had to spell out that Punk was still champion, but they needed to run a tournament for an interim champion.

I don't know if there's anyone in AEW I give less of a fuck about than Hook and his stupid anime fuckboy haircut. Tazz being like "HE HAS A LACROSSE BACKGROUND" isn't helping. Fuck Hook and his one match.

Christian stealing a car he's so desperate to get away from Edge and then taunting him by holding up the title out the window as he drives away is some top level Batman villain shit.

31 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I don't know if there's anyone in AEW I give less of a fuck about than Hook and his stupid anime fuckboy haircut. Tazz being like "HE HAS A LACROSSE BACKGROUND" isn't helping. Fuck Hook and his one match.

I can't agree. Much like (despite them trying constantly) I'm never going to boo the BCC, and I'm never not going to love Hook.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Why is Jericho getting the best guys. Ugh. It never ends. At least Kevin Kelley will harp at length about Jericho's beef with LIJ.

Yeah, about that

https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2024/03/08/kevin-kelly-announcer-since-the-launch-of-collision-last-summer-fired-by-aew/

Kevin Kelly, who was part of the AEW Collision commentary team since the launch of the show last summer, has been fired by AEW according to PWTorch sources.

Kelly was removed from the AEW roster page earlier today. AEW taped Collision tonight and Fightful reported that the announce team for Collision was Tony Schiavone and Nigel McGuinness with Kelly nowhere to be seen during the taping.

Kelly’s posts on social media last weekend cost him his job, according to PWTorch sources. Kelly gained a lot of attention when he went on TwitterX last weekend and accused ROH announcer Ian Riccaboni of sabotaging his career and of libel.

“When you go out of your way to intentionally mischaracterize my raising awareness of the global horrors of child trafficking to a fringe conspiracy theory that everyone knows is bulls–t in order to hurt my career and standing in the industry, that at the very least is libelous,” wrote Kelly on X.

Kelly also posted about his dissatisfaction with how he was being used in AEW.

“But the idea of what I bring to the table is lost there because Ian libeled me,” wrote Kelly. “So I sit on the bench, valued by my peers, waiting to get my number called, keep asking why but get pushed aside. It’s okay, because there is no one better than me. Ask the ones that know and they’ll tell you.”

Kelly got off to a rough start as host of Collision, coming across as not being familiar with the product, names of signature moves, and the history of wrestlers and ongoing feuds. He had a strong reputation from his calling the English broadcasts of some of New Japan’s best events during a peak period for that company which endeared him to much of the AEW fanbase, but that goodwill went away quickly. Kelly finished last in our poll late last year asking readers who the best announcer in AEW was. He finished with 9 percent of the vote. Excalibur finished first followed by Taz who received twice the votes Kelly received.

Kelly’s performances were seen as subpar within AEW, including Tony Khan apparently, since Tony Schiavone was called to take over the lead play-by-play role a few months into Collision’s run on TNT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, dokdoyle said:

Yeah, about that

https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2024/03/08/kevin-kelly-announcer-since-the-launch-of-collision-last-summer-fired-by-aew/

Kevin Kelly, who was part of the AEW Collision commentary team since the launch of the show last summer, has been fired by AEW according to PWTorch sources.

Kelly was removed from the AEW roster page earlier today. AEW taped Collision tonight and Fightful reported that the announce team for Collision was Tony Schiavone and Nigel McGuinness with Kelly nowhere to be seen during the taping.

Kelly’s posts on social media last weekend cost him his job, according to PWTorch sources. Kelly gained a lot of attention when he went on TwitterX last weekend and accused ROH announcer Ian Riccaboni of sabotaging his career and of libel.

“When you go out of your way to intentionally mischaracterize my raising awareness of the global horrors of child trafficking to a fringe conspiracy theory that everyone knows is bulls–t in order to hurt my career and standing in the industry, that at the very least is libelous,” wrote Kelly on X.

“But the idea of what I bring to the table is lost there because Ian libeled me,” wrote Kelly. “So I sit on the bench, valued by my peers, waiting to get my number called, keep asking why but get pushed aside. It’s okay, because there is no one better than me. Ask the ones that know and they’ll tell you.”

Kelly got off to a rough start as host of Collision, coming across as not being familiar with the product, names of signature moves, and the history of wrestlers and ongoing feuds. He had a strong reputation from his calling the English broadcasts of some of New Japan’s best events during a peak period for that company which endeared him to much of the AEW fanbase, but that goodwill went away quickly. Kelly finished last in our poll late last year asking readers who the best announcer in AEW was. He finished with 9 percent of the vote. Excalibur finished first followed by Taz who received twice the votes Kelly received.

Kelly’s performances were seen as subpar within AEW, including Tony Khan apparently, since Tony Schiavone was called to take over the lead play-by-play role a few months into Collision’s run on TNT.

Not sure of the factual accuracy, but saw somebody posted this under the news item in relation to the Libel comment... 

In some discord allegedly riccaboni wrote: "Also had no idea he was going to promote QAnon movies or else I might have made a different suggestion. I suppose that his name was always in the mix but that QAnon stuff kind of breaks my heart a bit"

Allegedly but with the tweets in the article Kevin Kelly wrote

"When you go out of your way to intentionally mischaracterize my raising awareness of the global horrors of child trafficking to a fringe conspiracy theory that everyone knows is bullshit in order to hurt my career and standing in the industry, that at the very least is libelous"

37 minutes ago, Log said:

Ah, so our boy Kev got Q-pilled?

I don't know about Q ,specifically but he was all in on the Q-adjacent Operation Underground Railroad stuff. A friend of mine worked with him at the civilian job hr held between leaving WWE and when announcing became a full-time gig again and they were Facebook friends for years. According to Ed (and this is admittedly gossip) he suddenly got super active when Sound of Freedom came out after years of being pretty quiet there, and child trafficking conspiracies were all he talked about and he was super belligerent with anyone who tried to explain that it doesn't remotely work like the movie portrays. 

• Thanks 1

Coming after Ricky Bones, who is not only universally beloved but also the guy they wanted to give the job to in the first place, is such a dumbass move.  How'd you think that would go?

That said his actual posts seemed pretty tame so this feels like an "everybody's tired of his shit" thing.

• Like 3

"I only agree with some of what Q-Anon says. The rest of it is absolute lies and delusion." Suuuuuuuure buddy.

If anyone has been wondering why he's been getting some of the negative remarks he has on here besides his commentary, this is the reason. We discussed it on the Discord awhile back. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

Me and a friend were brainstorming (more like wishful fantasy booking) what team CMLL should send over for the tag title tournament. I'm hoping for Averno/Mephisto (since Hechicero was one of the dudes who lost his visa), and he was more in tune for Atlantis and Atantis Jr.

Averno can still go, especially when basing for high flyers, but Mephesto is starting to show his age... not sure I would bring them in. If it was still 2015, sure.  Maybe if they get a match against a couple small guys they can toss around, but probably not anyone that would want to do complicated spots.

Atlantis Sr. just cannot go anymore, and I don't think he would translate well to US television because of that.  Lucha fans have reverence for legends, and he can hide out in a tag match where he doesn't have to take any bumps, and can get pops for his classic spots. I don't see that working out in AEW, where the fans generally won't know his repertoire, and he will just look like a slow old man. 

THE tag team to bring in would be the current CMLL Tag Champs, the Chavez brothers (Angel del Oro & Niebla Rojo). They're a blend between a classic basing rudo team (Like Averno & Mephesto back in their heyday) and a pretty boy shitheel like Hector Garza. They'd be like two smaller Claudios with nice hair, lol

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, SovietShooter said:

Averno can still go, especially when basing for high flyers, but Mephesto is starting to show his age... not sure I would bring them in. If it was still 2015, sure.  Maybe if they get a match against a couple small guys they can toss around, but probably not anyone that would want to do complicated spots.

Atlantis Sr. just cannot go anymore, and I don't think he would translate well to US television because of that.  Lucha fans have reverence for legends, and he can hide out in a tag match where he doesn't have to take any bumps, and can get pops for his classic spots. I don't see that working out in AEW, where the fans generally won't know his repertoire, and he will just look like a slow old man. 

THE tag team to bring in would be the current CMLL Tag Champs, the Chavez brothers (Angel del Oro & Niebla Rojo). They're a blend between a classic basing rudo team (Like Averno & Mephesto back in their heyday) and a pretty boy shitheel like Hector Garza. They'd be like two smaller Claudios with nice hair, lol

100% agreed on all these points.  

The first four guys that CMLL brought in, wearing the suits and stirring up trouble, was CMLL putting their best foot forward in this relationship.  They need to stick to sending the luchadors who can truly impress.  Titan, for example, certainly ticks that box.  

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 10:02 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Hard agree, and I make no secret of it - but I assure you I'm serious! I'll take "different" any day over what could've essentially been a segment from any RAW from 1998-20??.

And again, to focus on the positives: @Just Davemade a great point on the last page, it's not an every week thing (yet) and probably ain't that big of a deal - for me, it was just the totality of the long show opening promo AND the set-up for a same-night match AND the feuding partners trope AND the Nickelodeon LEDs all over the place.

But what I should really focus on coming out of it: all the right guys were involved, Wardlow was treated like a threat, crowd's behind Swerve, Samoa FN Joe is still our WHC... there's lots to love about the players, it just wasn't the segment for me. The rest of the show ruled ass though, I hope we can at least agree there!

I have no problem doing it once as theres no one right or wrong way to open a show. Let's just not make it a years long habit okay

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, dokdoyle said:

Yeah, about that

the older I get the more I find myself in "WHATAMANOUER" territory myself

23 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

Atlantis and Atantis Jr.

10 minutes ago, Evil Otto said:

Titan, for example, certainly ticks that box.  

Y'know, as I'm sitting here watching Rampage, I remembered that Jericho is set to work Titan on Collision tomorrow, and I wonder if we could possibly get a Jericho & Atlantis Jr team, with Atlantis Sr at ringside. Then when Jericho makes his return to Arena Mexico, they team as a trio....?

10 minutes ago, SovietShooter said:

Y'know, as I'm sitting here watching Rampage, I remembered that Jericho is set to work Titan on Collision tomorrow, and I wonder if we could possibly get a Jericho & Atlantis Jr team, with Atlantis Sr at ringside. Then when Jericho makes his return to Arena Mexico, they team as a trio....?

Yeah, something along those lines could work.  I actually think Jericho in Arena Mexico would not be a bad idea at all at this particular moment in time.  For example, his match with Atlantis Jr. would've gone over much better in Arena Mexico.  Atlantis Jr is actually an incredible worker, but he's not super flashy and it takes a few matches (for more causal fans) to see how truly great he is.  I get why they had the match due to the history and all that, but I felt a bit bad for the guy, as he came in really cold.  That being said, there's at least a short-term storyline that they, both CMLL and AEW, could build on if they wanted to.  

On 3/5/2024 at 9:07 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Revolutions lead to Dynasties. 

Reveal hidden contents

I do hope Pamela Sue Martin defeats that evil Joan Collins! 

Well, as expected, the AEW Tag Titles are now vacant.  So Tony gets to do what he loves most in the whole wide world....

A TOURNAMENT!!!!  

Let's see how it goes and if the new tag champions will form their own Dynasty! 

you know I think The Mystery of The Devil was the greatest WHODUNIT? since who shot JR!

Spoiler

SOMEONE SHOT JIM ROSS

?Kevin Kelly 'fired' by AEW after ex-WWE announcer's social media rant  accusing Ian Riccaboni of sabotaging career | The US Sun

Seriously if AEW needed a conspiracy theorist with minimal product knowledge Jesse Ventura's disembodied head was right there

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, zendragon said:

the older I get the more I find myself in "WHATAMANOUER" territory myself

I keep a spreadsheet of all of the major promotions with the wrestlers' hometowns, weights, and signature maneuvers. I shared it with the new announcer for New Japan (Walker Stewart). We gotta help each other out!

• Like 2

Wonder if Kazuchika Okada might try some new ring attire to freshen his look up? Okada's biker shorts are the most famous, he's had trunks and those awful long pants. Only think he hasn't spotted are tights.