DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

I'm only interested in getting rid of VHS to afford more vinyl! It's basically a trade-type situation. My CDs (if intact) would probably be worth a fortune too but digging those out would be an insane task.Β 

There's no way I could part with my possessions for booze/drug money. I'm just not wired that way. I understand others who aren't, but it's not me.Β 

EDIT: I would start a new wrestling photo thread if it was permitted; been finding tons and tons of shit online that mostly ends up in the Discord.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, AxB said:

So WWE is sending contracted Wrestlers to a GCW show:

π•Ώπ–π–Š π–‚π–†π–—π–’π–†π–˜π–™π–Šπ–— (@JoshLBarnett)

When I started watching in 97, the Headbangers were working indies every other week. I'm not sure exactly when the E stopped letting people work them, but I think this is good, and I hope it becomes a norm again.Β 

• Like 1

Just thought up the idea of the State Patrol being flunkies for Big Bubba during the Ray Traylor WCW run.

Guessing Bubba couldn’t bully the State Patrol and say that state patrolmen aren’t real cops like prison guards, since wrestlers prefer not pissing off highway patrolmen if they can avoid it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Cheers, Tom O'Connor. This has become a DVDVR MB tradition like the Summer Blockbuster Pool. Speaking of:

https://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4040-comic-book-projects-that-dont-warrant-a-thread-yet/page/11/#comments

My post, Thursday at 04:53pm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

To mark it, Steve Austin's 10 best WWE matches:

10. Steve Austin vs. Kevin Owens. WrestleMania XXXVIII.

9. Steve Austin vs. The Rock. WrestleMania XIX.

8. Steve Austin vs. Kurt Angle. SummerSlam 2001.

7. Steve Austin vs. Triple H. No Way Out 2001.

6. Steve Austin/Triple H vs. Chris Benoit/Chris Jericho. RAW, 21st May 2001.

5. 2001 Royal Rumble match.

4. Steve Austin vs. The Rock. WrestleMania X-Seven.

3.Β Steve Austin vs. Dude Love. Over the Edge 1998. *****.

2. Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart. Survivor Series 1996. *****.

1. Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart. WrestleMania 13. *****.

SCSA hot take incoming: He and Kurt Angle had their career best match against one another at SummerSlam '01.

Most people prefer Bret/Austin at WM 13 for Austin, and lots of folks prefer Benoit/Angle at the '03 Rumble, which is why I think this classified as a hot take.

• Like 4

I am a Bret vs. Austin mark, but Shawn and Austin had a HEATER at King of the Ring 1997 (Shawn literally takes a bump for Austin every 5 seconds...it's absurd). It may not be THE Match of the Year especially since Shawn's 1997 included the first Cell match and the finish was whatever so both guys could be protected. However, had Shawn not been in terrible shape mentally and physically for the Mania match the next year, THAT (the rematch) would have been Austin's best match. Maybe Shawn's as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

easily the high water mark of the invasion

It was, but that's not exactly saying much. The invasion was a steaming pile of shit.Β 

• Haha 3

The NWO angle morphed into something else that was entirely different than what it began as. I don't know if you can compare it to the Invasion. That and the first several months of it, there was enough control of it where it was one of the best things WCW ever did from a creative standpoint. That's not anything you can say about the WWF Invasion angle in 2001.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

SCSA hot take incoming: He and Kurt Angle had their career best match against one another at SummerSlam '01.

Most people prefer Bret/Austin at WM 13 for Austin, and lots of folks prefer Benoit/Angle at the '03 Rumble, which is why I think this classified as a hot take.

This is a good take.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

I wonder how different this list would be with WCW work included in the list.

I liked the Triple threat with RVD and Angie. I know WWF had the same formulaic Triple threat matches that rarely lead to anything worth going out your way to see but I remember thinking it was good. Paranoid Austin was the best thing about the Alliance Angle and RVD at that point was the closest to how he was in ECW. The fans really got behind him and how he played off Austin and the Chairs hot by Vince was sick too.Β 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The NWO angle morphed into something else that was entirely different than what it began as. I don't know if you can compare it to the Invasion. That and the first several months of it, there was enough control of it where it was one of the best things WCW ever did from a creative standpoint. That's not anything you can say about the WWF Invasion angle in 2001.

Has Sullivan, Bischoff or any of the creatively linked parties ever discussed in any length the idea plans for the split nWo show?

WCW here in Canada was, for a long while, shown condensed into 1 hour (on local TV) and later 2 hours (on TSN). This may have partially played into having a little ignorance of the repetition, and my acceptance of most things nWo until the Wolf Pack split (Sting and Luger as members, uh, hurt my feelings). That is to say, I really liked the idea of the nWo as a big organization (Wallstreet, Bubba, Scott Norton included) rather than a 4 or 5 man faction that everybody says it should have been. Buff Bagwell in particular was one of my favorite additions. Especially dug that Vicious and Delicious tag team with Scott Flash. After things got bad with 'nothing working for any of them brother' Wolf Pack v Hollywood feud, we got the tremendous B-team. I remember that squad providing some of the better comedy WCW ever produced.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Austin/Rhodes best of three falls at Starrcade and Sting's Squadron vs. Dangerous Alliance War Games would be on that top ten list for me.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, The Natural said:

Β 

12 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I liked the Triple threat with RVD and Angie. I know WWF had the same formulaic Triple threat matches that rarely lead to anything worth going out your way to see but I remember thinking it was good. Paranoid Austin was the best thing about the Alliance Angle and RVD at that point was the closest to how he was in ECW. The fans really got behind him and how he played off Austin and the Chairs hot by Vince was sick too.Β 

Β 

Just now, SirSmUgly said:

Austin/Rhodes best of three falls at Starrcade and Sting's Squadron vs. Dangerous Alliance War Games would be on that top ten list for me.

Here you go:

10. Steve Austin vs. Kurt Angle. SummerSlam 2001.

9. Steve Austin vs. Triple H. No Way Out 2001.

8. Steve Austin vs. Ricky Steamboat. Clash of the Champions XXVIII.

7. Steve Austin/Triple H vs. Chris Benoit/Chris Jericho. RAW, 21st May 2001.

6. 2001 Royal Rumble match.

5. Steve Austin vs. The Rock. WrestleMania X-Seven.

4.Β Steve Austin vs. Dude Love. Over the Edge 1998. *****.

3. The Dangerous Alliance vs. Sting's Squadron. WrestleWar 1992. *****.

• Like 1

If you aren't watching Evil Uno's Mystery Wrestling 7 on twitch right now, you've just missed the best Iron Man match ever.