DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/14 - 2/20/2024 - When A Hangman Loves A Woman

It's Valentine's Day!   I hope today's not a massacre for you and your Valentine! 

Well, either way... here's something I'm sure the two of you will want to do together...  A new episode of Dynamite! 

TONIGHT!

GGLKKftWgAAOyHy?format=jpg&name=large

Ah screw it, you want the reference?  You got it! 

Spoiler

(oh, like you really thought I'd put up the Percy Sledge version) 😉

• Like 3

I love the behind the scenes thoughts for the title on the Discord.  Though you are right about us wanting to watch Dynamite on Valentine's Day.  We did the dinner on Saturday so aside from a card and chocolates we're just chilling today.

I do think with Ruby walking out on Saraya that she finally does something with Angelo to indicate they're an item.  The story got a tad messy but I really loved what they've been doing with them liking each other and Saraya trying everything to ruin it.  If there's ever a day to pay it off today would be it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dax v Mox is a fine, fine addition. 

As opposed to the rotten previous engagements, here's hoping they put a modicum of effort into the Toni Storm short. There's so many possibilities and not a single one of them has yet to be applied. 

Very into Adam v Garcia and Flights v Bucks. Here's hoping Willow gets a strong, decisive win and the lights stay on. I'm not sure Matt Taven v Orange really needed a TEXAS DEATH stip, but there's no reason to doubt Orange. This will surely mobilize every Taven hating poster to make their feelings known. Joe, Swerve, Hanger, gimme some words to remember please! 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Boooooo. Why no Collision? We still getting Rampage right?

They should have booked Collision + Rampage for tomorrow. 

I wonder who's blading between the OC and Mox matches. You'd think it's Mox, but he's given that spot to the other guys before.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

They should have booked Collision + Rampage for tomorrow. 

There's some NBA All-Star stuff on Friday, too, so no time in the schedule for a double show.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Mox/Dax (brawl), Edge/Garcia (technical), Bucks/Flight (flying), OC/Taven (weapons), Toni being Toni (comedy), is a really nice three ring circus of a card

I almost wonder if the new Bucks will tone down the high flying stuff to be even bigger heels. Try and ground Top Flight .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I almost wonder if the new Bucks will tone down the high flying stuff to be even bigger heels. Try and ground Top Flight .

The handspring back rakes and what not was some of their best stuff.

• Like 1

Is this The Bucks getting their win back against Top Flight or did that already happen?

Supposedly this is at least 85% sold and Austin is usually a hot crowd so hopefully that all happens.

21 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Is this The Bucks getting their win back against Top Flight or did that already happen?

Supposedly this is at least 85% sold and Austin is usually a hot crowd so hopefully that all happens.

I think you're thinking of Private Party, who beat the Bucks in the first round of the tag team title tournament. I'm pretty sure Top Flight never beat the Bucks, unless I missed it. 

46 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think you're thinking of Private Party, who beat the Bucks in the first round of the tag team title tournament. I'm pretty sure Top Flight never beat the Bucks, unless I missed it. 

Looked it up, it was January 2023 on Dynamite after Elite won Trios.

• Thanks 1

Things I remember from this week's edition of AEW Dynamite:

Finally, Dax Harwood has returned to AEW Dynamite

Cool match with Dax and Moxley, and then FTR got beat down postmatch

Wardlow squashed a jabroni in a minute or so.

Interesting/good matchup with Copeland and Garcia. Then the rare AEW DQ finish.

TWFKA Edge eats a Conchairto while Garcia and Menard also eat beatdowns from Christian and family.

More Toni stuff. Succinct promo from Deona.

Promo time with Joe/Swerve/Page

Bucks vs Top Flight had some real flying to it.

edit: oh yeah, Bucks knocked over Schiavone

Womens match was in it's usual timeslot

Sure, you might ask "why a Texas Death Match with Orange Cassidy and Matt Taven" but both of them decided to bleed like pigs. Is Orange Cassidy's bladejob the most horrifying bladejob to appear on a TBS wrestling show? Maybe!

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

I've never been a big Matt Taven fan. I hated his ROH world title run, and feel it should have gone to Marty Scurll. With that said, I'm starting to come around on Taven. While I don't think he should ever be a world champion again, he's fine in his current role. That was a fun TV main event and I'm glad Taven got to shine. 

• Like 6

Missed big swaths of this but saw what I wanted

- Open was a lot of trading and not a lot of selling. Got the feeling you could set it to Benny Hill in 2x speed and it'd be pretty funny. It was nice and stiff and everything but not much of anything besides two guys pounding on each other. Edge vs. Garcia felt like more of a match, they cut a pace and worked limbs, Dax/Mox was like an extended version of the Kobashi/Sasaki chop battle. The post-match was nice, big FU to FTR and leave through the crowd like they don't care. The match next week should be a No DQ Submission match.

- Callis saying "Our dad used to have a couple drinks and make us fight in the back yard" was hilariously on-point. This of course will face Ospreay big time (not like he wouldn't be regardless of his company). 

- Like written above, Edge/Danny was good! Edge even played heel a bit, plus he busted out an honest-to-god Scott Norton/Harley Race shoulderbreaker. Before I noticed Luchasaurus I saw Nick Wayne and thought a teenager had jumped the rail, haha. 

- Toni's tat had to be a temp, we'll see next time she's wearing the slippers. 

- The Cutler remark was a nice diss. 

- Willow/Blue was good but Willow can never Vader people enough for me. 

- Saw the semi-table break on the ramp and looked away only to look up again and see Orange looking like THAT. It reminded me of Foley writing in his book about blading and Robert Parker saying "it looks like a big 'ol pussy opened up there on your head". Obviously I paid attention from there on out and it was amusing. Liked Orange kissing the belt after all that... he better. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Before I noticed Luchasaurus I saw Nick Wayne and thought a teenager had jumped the rail, haha. 

I had that immediate thought as well!

When the main got going it turned into quite the spectacle. Exceeded expectations for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That was really good stuff other than the unnecessary Wardlow squash.

I guess Toni has moved on to talkies now. Deonna’s response was great.

Willow-Skye was fun, really nice Code Blue and who woulda thunk they would protect Skye Blue with a phantom pin and Stokely interference.

Dax-Mox was a fine stiff brawl. The serious beat down on FTR after was unexpected.

Garcia-Cope was excellent and the run-in/throw the match out was a shock since it’s so rarely used in AEW. Cope taking a conchairto, guess they’re not gonna have that at the PPV. Cope should be pissed at Darby for not saving him.

Bucks-Top Flight was relatively grounded given their past matches. Yambag Yahtzee for a win, and then getting mega heel heat by laying hands on Schiavone!

Bang Bang Scissor Gang was a waste of time but boy was Renee making me feel really funny tonight...

Wasn’t sure what to expect from the main event, didn’t seem like the stakes had built to a Texas Death Match but they really went for it after a pretty straightforward start. Botched table spot had me thinking OC was hardway, but couldn’t really figure how that would’ve worked. Lots of thumbtacks in body parts. The Valentine heart boxes was a nice touch.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've never been a big Matt Taven fan. I hated his ROH world title run, and feel it should have gone to Marty Scurll. With that said, I'm starting to come around on Taven. While I don't think he should ever be a world champion again, he's fine in his current role. That was a fun TV main event and I'm glad Taven got to shine. 

I have similar feelings about Taven but did enjoy this main event. That bump through the table was nutty. 

I liked the Willow/Skye Blue match too. They need to get Stokely on commentary more often. Got a good laugh out of the Bonecrusher exchange with Taz. I love that Willow uses the pounce. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

Yambag Yahtzee for a win, and then getting mega heel heat by laying hands on Schiavone!

Bucks definitely broke the Sam Muchnick rule of keeping your hands off the staff. 

Stokely: "You own the color orange?"

Taz: "Yes."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Awesome night of professional wrestling. I skipped a few things but from what I saw:

1) Mox vs. Dax was really good. Two absolutely professionals beating each other up. There may have been a bit too much of the “Yay!  Boo!” type of spots but nothing too egregious. 

2) Christian is just the best slimebag heel. I love that Mrs. Wayne was giving off Elizabeth Holmes vibes. 

3) EVP Bucks vs. Top Flight was possibly the most I have ever liked the Bucks in the ring. Everything about this version of them clicks. They are such great old-school heel pricks. What I liked best was they the referee was actually used in the match and used well. Tag wrestling is the best wrestling when you just adhere to the simple conceit of a referee being there to enforce rules that the heels look to exploit, When you have that with two really good athletic babyfaces against two really charismatic heels doing some great over-the-top shtick and stooging perfectly, you really have quality. 

3A) I loved the post-match stuff with The Bucks and Tony. Great lure job where it looked like they were about to give him the trigger. 

3B) The run-in stuff with Darby was so fucking corny. Talking about stuff from years ago and being whiny. Just, like, do a run in with the Bucks backing away in fear. Way too overthought and needlessly shoot-y and it only really reminded me of Cody Rhodes and how huge of a star he is in the other promotion. Bleh.

4) That main event was absolutely nuts. Not sure why they had a Texas Death stipulation for the set-up match before Roddy gets his shot against OC. But man if those guys want to go all out and do all kinds of insane stuff like that by all means. The Taven dive into the table was absolutely batshit and makes me think he has severe mental health issues. But what I liked best about the match is that it very much told a story throughout — OC is an all-time great babyface. Great wild match.

• Like 2