DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

3 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

Regarding the Rock's likability, I think he was way more likeable as a pro wrestler than as a movie star. He hit the A-list and immediately got vaguely creepy like Tom Cruise has seemingly been his whole life. 

1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

I think the thing that is off-putting about Rock is that he wants you to know just how charitable he is. He can’t do a good deed without a camera being present.

Rock's soul was replaced with some PR firm's Twitter some time back and nobody noticed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

(...)

Regarding the Rock's likability, I think he was way more likeable as a pro wrestler than as a movie star. He hit the A-list and immediately got vaguely creepy like Tom Cruise has seemingly been his whole life. 

Do you mean the wrestling character The Rock? I don't know, even as a face he was pretty much a dick to everyone.

Edited by Robert S

15 minutes ago, Robert S said:

Do you mean the wrestling character The Rock? I don't know, even as a face he was pretty much a dick to everyone.

Sorry, I mean Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

It's fine not to like his movies, which him and his team likely picked more based on an algorithm for mainstream popularity than quality (see: Will Smith's 90s blockbuster strategy) or even the man himself, but is there really a debate on whether The Rock, of all wrestlers, has been successful outside of wrestling?

I think Austin has found a nice niche for himself with the wrestling podcast/beer/and playing himself in various television roles now, but like it or not, the "they haven't been more successful than their wrestling character" description far more fits with Hogan and Austin than the Rock.   Hogan is an example of it being bad thing and I think Austin might have found a sweet spot for now.

Edited by _MJ_

I feel like if Austin wasn't just a dude from South Texas, he would have been filling that Kris Kristofferson or Levon Helm role in movies, but that's kinda been played out or filled by actual actors. Thus, he had to jump into the B movie action movie stuff where there are way too many folks whose career tanked and/or can only be the guy in those action movies.

24 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I don't think the domestic violence accusations have slowed Austin down much but it probably placed a hard ceiling on how far he could get pushed in movies before someone realized "hey wait a minute"

I think the whole shortsighted "we're going to make our own guys movie stars" thing hurt Austin more than anything else. The worst thing they could have done is insulate their biggest stars more within the WWE bubble. When Hogan was doing those made for TV movies, it only worked cause (1) Hogan's career as a legit film star was already over and (2) Nitro was hottest wrestling program on the planet. Austin had so much momentum with the Nash Bridges appearances and then nothing ever came of it.

• Like 1

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

considering Austin's health, he would have been better served finding more off time.. but instead he went event crazier in the 2000s

Oh and I forgot the botched Universal Soldier negotiation so the other really popular bald guy on the rival program got it.

Rocky IS AI, he is the first T-800 off the line. And he kicks those childrens right outta the chair! You gotta KICK KICK KICK 'em to take that chair, melt it down, use it to make more Hollywood Terminators! 

Hoo boy I gotta lay off that air duster...

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I feel like if Austin wasn't just a dude from South Texas, he would have been filling that Kris Kristofferson or Levon Helm role in movies, but that's kinda been played out or filled by actual actors. Thus, he had to jump into the B movie action movie stuff where there are way too many folks whose career tanked and/or can only be the guy in those action movies.

I think Austin in 1998-20001 could have played Connor McGregor's role in the Road House reboot but yeah, I agree with your point that the roles he might excel in are in less mainstream movies now.

Edited by _MJ_
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Oh and I forgot the botched Universal Soldier negotiation so the other really popular bald guy on the rival program got it.

I've never heard about that before. I barely remember that movie though so I can't think if Austin would have fit.

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I've never heard about that before. I barely remember that movie though so I can't think if Austin would have fit.

I think the story is Jean Claude Van Damme wanted Austin for Universal Soldier: The Return, but someone from WWE turned it down for Austin because the supposed pay was only $55,000. Then, the role went to Bill Goldberg and Barry Bloom (famous super agent especially for pro wrestling at the time and still repping big name clients) let it be known that Goldberg got a quarter million for the role. Whether Goldberg got that type of money is irrelevant as much that role should have went to Austin, and Austin was rightfully pissed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Would have liked to seen Austin do more comedy 

“Uptight urbanite Jason Segal moves to the backwoods to finally write his novel and discovers his neighbor is a Stone Cold Steve Austin type” could absolutely have been a comedy that I watched on Netflix or Prime in the past decade and forgot every moment of as soon as it was over. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I feel like if Austin wasn't just a dude from South Texas, he would have been filling that Kris Kristofferson or Levon Helm role in movies, but that's kinda been played out or filled by actual actors.

You say this when Jason Isbell is in a film up for multiple Oscars.

Also, Austin would be a perfect Wade Garrett for Road House 2024

Edited by Ace

Did they try to spin-off Austin's character from his guest spots on Nash Bridges? Or was the timing not right for him to do a series? I think he would have been perfect in an action cop show, think a winking at the camera Walker Texas Ranger.

4 hours ago, Leonidas said:

I still want a buddy cop movie with Cena and Rock with Austin as their surly Captain. Batista should be in it too. 

Someone needs to do Cannonball Run wrestling edition already too smh.

there's zero percent chance i would watch that theoretical buddy cop movie. 

but a wrestler Cannonball Run? FUCK. YES. i'm buying all the tickets.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Did they try to spin-off Austin's character from his guest spots on Nash Bridges? Or was the timing not right for him to do a series? I think he would have been perfect in an action cop show, think a winking at the camera Walker Texas Ranger.

If you to believe Meltzer, then I believe that was the idea. However, that is a large commitment that would have required him to be off for 2-3 months. On the bright side though, it would have probably helped him heal some of those nagging injuries.