DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEBRUARY 2024

7 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

There was a story out that she was out of favor because she was pushing to get Scrull a front office job, but the story was unsourced and there was never any follow up so I'm extremely skeptical.

She said she was suffering from seizures. She had three of them and didn't know why and it took a while for her to be clear again.

And she made the terrible mistake of attempting to keep her health a private matter, leading to the sort of idiotic speculation we always get.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Leonidas said:

You know how HBK was roided out of his gourd in the 90s but was still an amazing worker? Then he came back after losing his smile, was born again, had gotten clean and was significantly smaller but he was still HBK so you could still buy him against guys like Taker etc.

Well, Adam Cole is like the reformed clean HBK, just without having done the 90s era to give him enough history to be that believable. He shouldn't be going move for move with anyone over 200lbs. In his matches, he needs to play the Jerry to the Tom a bit more.

Great comparison, but there is a significant difference between early aughts ‘land of the giants’ and the average size of aew’s roster.

I’d like to add that I fucking hated the little I saw of late career unbeatable Shawn Michaels.

Adam Cole’s undeniable connection to the audience makes even the fair criticism a pretty moot point. The Panama Playboy is gonna be working the upper card for the rest of his Elite career. 

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Honestly, I wouldn't call Cole injury prone.  In AEW, he suffered a bad concussion, then later rolled his ankle jumping off the entrance ramp while doing a run-in.  To me, "injury prone" denotes something like tearing a muscle while just doing regular-ass wrestling, like tearing your quad while walking across the ring, or a guy like Punk who tears his triceps just putting on his gear. 

Oh lord Dax and his fucking promos.  The forced stammering, the hand on the head and other weird hand gesticulations.  I know he's trying to sound homespun and genuine, but it's so cringeworthy. 

Dax has had some follies. From following his short lived podcast, I don’t doubt him being genuine. He’s a passionate and ultra sensitive guy who works himself into certain beliefs. I agree he goes for the heart strings a bit too often, but maybe there’s another word than the trendy and overused  ‘cringeworthy’. Sometimes ‘corny’? He may be inconsistent but he’s far from shitty.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Speaking of Dax....

I don't mean this as a critique - I want this to be a study in adolescent dick measuring. I want to see two weird chatty introverted fortysomething dorks-cum-family-guys with compulsive obsessions about throwback wrestling to indulge in every hyperfocus their bodies and minds can muster. I don't even want the match to prioritize being good. I just want it to be the most extreme example of whateverthefuck this modern 'I-WATCH-TERRITORIES-ON YOUTUBE' PROWRES is so that we can all understand the niche better and see where we can cap the ceiling at.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Bix continues to be the worst, to the surprise of no one.

I had a pretty high tolerance for Bix but since I've been catching up on the last two years and doing one to two episodes a day, he has started to drive me nuts. 

• Like 1

thoughts on my Dax:

On his podcast towards the end of its short run he became pretty open about his wife having a miscarriage and how he was having panic attacks and that it put him in a space where he handled things poorly. 
Then his daughter had that heart disease or whatever it was.

I give him all the room to be corny and overcompensate with loving his family. Mental health or recovering from loss or whatever there is, I’d be in either a similar or much worse space if I was in his shoes.

Him, Trinity & the Usos (Rikishi not showing up at their wedding and a good family speech about loving his brother and new sister on Total Divas), Jake the Snake (his abuse), and Nigel (the sad attempts to come back) are on my list of people I have a huge soft spot for.

• Like 7

So can I just say how much I love that AEW takes managerial pairings that look like their going to lead to all the same old heel turn tropes, then turn them into charming and logical babyface pairings instead? Menard/Garcia and now Stokely with Willow and Stat.

I'd like to see Menard, Parker, and Garcia fill a "Best Friends" role where Menard and Parker are mostly lovable jobbers, but every once in a while they bring in their big gun who gives them a chance against higher ranked guys. They did this with Hangman in the Dark Order too and it works really well for the way AEW likes to book their weekly shows. You can also bring Ruby into the fold and she can finally win the Owen with the power of love and friendship.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

So can I just say how much I love that AEW takes managerial pairings that look like their going to lead to all the same old heel turn tropes, then turn them into charming and logical babyface pairings instead? Menard/Garcia and now Stokely with Willow and Stat.

I'd like to see Menard, Parker, and Garcia fill a "Best Friends" role where Menard and Parker are mostly lovable jobbers, but every once in a while they bring in their big gun who gives them a chance against higher ranked guys. They did this with Hangman in the Dark Order too and it works really well for the way AEW likes to book their weekly shows. You can also bring Ruby into the fold and she can finally win the Owen with the power of love and friendship.

Let's get this strraight - Daniel Garcia, in-ring technician, strong promo, rising star, full of potential, but let's make him a loveable jobber? Akin to the Dark Order? I think I'd prefer charismatic Menard slowly morphing into Heenan, and Garcia as his championship caliber Bockwinkel. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Sorry for opening my mouth about the Deeb thing. My mistake. FWIW I don't recall reading any follow-up about her condition personally so that's me just repeating the only stuff I'd read. 

I'll be honest I wasn't sure if that was real or fake with the trying to bring Scurll bit either.  I just figured it's bad enough she's married to him but I try to overlook that when she's on TV.  But FWIW Queen Aminata did a thing with Renee on their channel where she talked about having a string of seizures and AEW couldn't clear for her 6 months.  Which sounds awful especially when things seem to be going well before that happens.

10 hours ago, Octopus said:

thoughts on my Dax:

On his podcast towards the end of its short run he became pretty open about his wife having a miscarriage and how he was having panic attacks and that it put him in a space where he handled things poorly. 
Then his daughter had that heart disease or whatever it was.

I give him all the room to be corny and overcompensate with loving his family. Mental health or recovering from loss or whatever there is, I’d be in either a similar or much worse space if I was in his shoes.

Him, Trinity & the Usos (Rikishi not showing up at their wedding and a good family speech about loving his brother and new sister on Total Divas), Jake the Snake (his abuse), and Nigel (the sad attempts to come back) are on my list of people I have a huge soft spot for.

It sucks that he felt he had to stop the podcast but I thought it was really awesome for Dax to be so open to people he doesn't know about his struggles.  Dude forever is one I have a soft spot for.  I will say though that aside from a 30 second bit when on a live mic Dax isn't the best talker.  So to compensate he goes to topics that he's really passionate about which is great.  But he could stand to add other things to round it out.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It sucks that he felt he had to stop the podcast but I thought it was really awesome for Dax to be so open to people he doesn't know about his struggles.  Dude forever is one I have a soft spot for.  I will say though that aside from a 30 second bit when on a live mic Dax isn't the best talker.  So to compensate he goes to topics that he's really passionate about which is great.  But he could stand to add other things to round it out.

I loved the pod. Maybe he just wasn’t ready for doing it. He definitely can jump back to doing it at a high level when he retires from the ring or so in a better headspace. 
My main gripe with the show was the cohost could be very leading with his questioning. Lead to awkward stumbling moments and unnecessary tension. 

The Regal pod was phenomenal and also occasionally awkward for similar reasons. But Regal is very tough to talk with and you just need to let him go off on his ramble paths. We’ll likely never see that again, whereas I’m sure we’ll hear from Dax again.

very jealous of @Infinit going to that live show and probably slamming back tequilas with FTR lol

• Like 5

It would be fine now that the Punk cloud isn't over everyone's head, I think. There were pros and cons to it when it came to enjoying his matches. I see the strings a little bit more now in ways that I both appreciate and regret. 

56 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Let's get this strraight - Daniel Garcia, in-ring technician, strong promo, rising star, full of potential, but let's make him a loveable jobber? Akin to the Dark Order? I think I'd prefer charismatic Menard slowly morphing into Heenan, and Garcia as his championship caliber Bockwinkel. 

No, I think they're saying Garcia is more in the Orange role where he's the star of the bunch with his friends (Menard and Parker) being the "loveable jobbers". Garcia wins championships, has major feuds, etc. while occasionally coming to the aid of his friends or teaming with them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

she talked about having a string of seizures and AEW couldn't clear for her 6 months.  Which sounds awful especially when things seem to be going well before that happens.

Having had my share of seizures (self-inflicted, at that) I sympathise

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

12 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

4 hours ago, Octopus said:

very jealous of @Infinit going to that live show and probably slamming back tequilas with FTR lol

I can confirm that many shots of tequila were taken! And honestly, both Dax and Cash took time to chat with practically everyone at the show, and the interactions were genuine. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Hell yeah, ROOSH posted that he's back from injury!

Would’ve been even better if they’d made some sort of notice of injury on the way out.

Can we all band together to WILL TKAEW to start giving a clear reason why the injured, or absent for whatever reason, characters were meant to engage with and care about, are suddenly not on television for weeks and months. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Octopus said:

I loved the pod. Maybe he just wasn’t ready for doing it. He definitely can jump back to doing it at a high level when he retires from the ring or so in a better headspace. 
My main gripe with the show was the cohost could be very leading with his questioning. Lead to awkward stumbling moments and unnecessary tension. 

The Regal pod was phenomenal and also occasionally awkward for similar reasons. But Regal is very tough to talk with and you just need to let him go off on his ramble paths. We’ll likely never see that again, whereas I’m sure we’ll hear from Dax again.

I think Dax was having some maturity issues. I suspect they continue, but I also suspect he’s doing his best with what he has. His show was the tale of two different podcasts. One, featuring an overly sensitive man running his mouth where he should have known not to. The second featuring some of the most insightful commentary/Analysis of pro wrestling I’ve so far heard. Dax has more to offer pro wrestling than just his on screen work.  

I totally agree on the Regal pod and the annoyances of host Matt Koon.

Edited by HarryArchieGus