DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEBRUARY 2024

1 hour ago, colonial said:

If Max Caster does not appear on TV this week, this is why ...

Richard Caster, ex-Jackson State and New York Jets tight end, dies at 75 (clarionledger.com)

Sucks about his dad.

But Max also did a very insensitive Vince based rap at an indy show this weekend that could land him in hot water.

Edited by Infinit

On 2/4/2024 at 6:34 PM, colonial said:

If Max Caster does not appear on TV this week, this is why ...

Richard Caster, ex-Jackson State and New York Jets tight end, dies at 75 (clarionledger.com)

Wow, I didn't know that he was Max's father. I remember him as a TE that just went deep all the time. He started out with Namath (who threw deep all the time) as his QB. I looked him up on Pro Football Reference and he is third to HoF Don Maynard, and Wesley Walker in yards per catch over his career among NYJ players.

• Like 1

Time to muddy the streaming waters. Again. ESPN, Fox, and WBD announced a joint streaming venture today for all of their sports broadcasts across all of their channels. No word yet on if that will include AEW.

23 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Time to muddy the streaming waters. Again. ESPN, Fox, and WBD announced a joint streaming venture today for all of their sports broadcasts across all of their channels. No word yet on if that will include AEW.

(chants "ROH")

The press release doesn’t include AEW under “combat sports”, but I don’t know why you’d enter into this JV and not include it?

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2024/02/espn-fox-and-warner-bros-discovery-forming-joint-venture-to-launch-streaming-sports-service-in-the-u-s/?fbclid=PAAaZB9m8TN32bMbk_KKbbqRmMvVPVNsBwD74nGQ5Uk9f9A4w22-duxZfA4bc_aem_Ac1sLHwsZtAGvOjReOD7A2kB_OcuVHjXrVc6RB4I1FCpuAKk5SUC0FDASp7KzK5EP5E&utm_source=hoobe&utm_medium=social

This could be a very big deal for AEW if this app becomes the center of the sports universe while WWE is over on Netflix

Thought 2: how would this pass anti-trust laws? I love the concept of “sports only cable” but seems a little monopoly-y

Edited by For Great Justice

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

What’s the “biggest sport” that doesn’t have a contract with those three networks? I’d presume MLS or one of the individual CFB/cbb conferences? 

CBS still has the NFL and its share of the NCAA Tournament, right? And CBSSN if you’re into Tuesday Night MACtion (and let’s be honest, who isn’t). I’m not hip on my corporate hierarchies but I think Paramount is free and clear of Disney/Fox/WBD?

Wow, if WWE wasn’t aware of this development when negotiating their deal, they have to be pissed. Given timing and UFC’s relationship with ESPN they surely were, but winding up on Netflix while basically the entire sports world goes a difference direction, can’t make them feel great.

Just read a report that Kamille is said to be most likely AEW bound instead of WWE. Hopefully TK finds a way to represent the women's division more. It's stacked and they could easily feature the women more. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the CMLL guys more. I'm not a lucha viewer just because of limited time so I love seeing something new.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Just read a report that Kamille is said to be most likely AEW bound instead of WWE. Hopefully TK finds a way to represent the women's division more. It's stacked and they could easily feature the women more. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the CMLL guys more. I'm not a lucha viewer just because of limited time so I love seeing something new.

Looks like TK is committing dollars to the womens division. Deonna, Mercedes, Kamille. That’s good. Also, Toni Storm is killing it. Mariah May is gonna be a star. Thunder Rosa is back, Red Velvet is back. Jamie Hayter will be back soon. Ruby Soho is a stalwart. This is a deep, talented division, and best of all, there’s no reason to pretend Britt Baker is special anymore…

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

On the downside if they use more CMLL guys, doesn't that mean guys like Penta can't be on the shows?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

On the downside if they use more CMLL guys, doesn't that mean guys like Penta can't be on the shows?

To quote Diamond Dallas Page:

"That's not a bad thing, that's a good thing."

:).

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Just Dave said:

Looks like TK is committing dollars to the womens division. Deonna, Mercedes, Kamille. That’s good. Also, Toni Storm is killing it. Mariah May is gonna be a star. Thunder Rosa is back, Red Velvet is back. Jamie Hayter will be back soon. Ruby Soho is a stalwart. This is a deep, talented division, and best of all, there’s no reason to pretend Britt Baker is special anymore…

I'm not high on Red Velvet personally but the rest I agree with. Athena and Billie too. I'd like to see Lady Frost more. She was impressive the other week. I'm also a big fan of Willow. 

I do like the Doctor though but I haven't thought about her not being there for a while so that's a good sign for the division I'd say. 

• Like 1

Dear Coach, please a-Gain utilize the Opening Promo Montage for Collision. I don't think I need to tell you how fun it is. It also adds a lot to the show. Posting it first online a day before the show might even be better. Please. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

To quote Diamond Dallas Page:

"That's not a bad thing, that's a good thing."

:).

4 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

*taunts*

I don't watch lucha, due to time and availability limitations, but watching Hechicero taunting like mad last week made me wonder if this is just a lucha thing.  Not a good or bad lucha thing, mind you, just a thing.

His "conjuring" taunt kinda reminded me of older Charles Manson's wild gesticulations.  Or maybe just Bob Odenkirk's Manson impersonation.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I don't watch lucha, due to time and availability limitations, but watching Hechicero taunting like mad last week made me wonder if this is just a lucha thing.  Not a good or bad lucha thing, mind you, just a thing.

His "conjuring" taunt kinda reminded me of older Charles Manson's wild gesticulations.  Or maybe just Bob Odenkirk's Manson impersonation.

Hechicero's bugged me but less than Penta does as I've seen more of that fucker. Most of Penta's moveset is made up of that fucking taunt. Shitty Slingblade's too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Just Dave said:

there’s no reason to pretend Britt Baker is special anymore…

There isn't any reason to pretend Shida is good either but she's never leaving. Britt will be back at the top whenever she's returned from whatever the deal is with her right now. Perhaps the new talent can mask their flaws with their own work in matches with em, at least.

• Like 2

Baker seems to be waiting for others to fail first, not sure that'll happen if they keep bringing in new talent

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/britt-baker-addresses-taking-step-back-from-aew-spotlight-in-2023

"I think with our very passionate fans, they're very vocal with what they want, what they don't want, what they like, what they don't like. And we listen -- I listen. So if they are telling me they want more or less of something, then ok, I hear you loud and clear. And a lot of them said, 'We want less Britt Baker.' So if that's what they want, ok that's what they'll get. Let me take a step back. Here's the rest of the women. Someone else take the ball and run with it and make the women's division about you, and you be the face of the women's division. And when no one else can do that, I'll be there to pick up the pieces and do it all over again."