DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/31 - 2/6/2024 - Ranking in the Dark

You were screaming for them, you were cheering for them, you wanted them like the salivating dogs that you are....   Well, it's the return of RANKINGZ~!   (I'll know if Tony is still lurking if he spells it that way on the air.  (Hi TK! Still willing to become Jagsfan in NYC for luxury suite tickets! 😻 ))

Enjoy the week

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

You were screaming for them, you were cheering for them, you wanted them like the salivating dogs that you are....   Well, it's the return of RANKINGZ~!   (I'll know if Tony is still lurking if he spells it that way on the air.  (Hi TK! Still willing to become Jagsfan in NYC for luxury suite tickets! 😻 ))

Enjoy the week

You should be Jagsfan in NYC because:

Kingsley > Messi

• Sad 1

I said this to Matt yesterday in last week's thread, but I think it's worth a repost: these weird-on-paper Dynamites are often the sneaky good ones.

Jericho/Fletcher will have a bunch of Callis stuff (maybe we get an Ospreay appearance?) but the match itself should be good -  I liked what they did before Forbidden Door together, and I thought Jericho's Rampage match with the similarly-built Matt Sydal the other week was some damn fine TV.

Taya/Deonna should be good, they've had a lot of matches together at TNA from what I understand, so they ought to be pretty comfortable with each other in there. I like Taya's act and look a whole ton, and I thought she had good matches with Stat and probably Jade Cargill's best matches, but in a blanket sense, I don't think she's hit that next gear yet on AEW TV that I've seen from her in the handful of her TNA and AAA matches I've caught - hopefully that comfort/familiarity I mentioned earlier will bring a bit of that out. Looking forward to it.

Page/Toa - bombfest, no notes. Will be Luger-grunting from the couch with each punch sold, much to the chagrin of my better half. Thanks, omnibus thread!

RVD/Swerve... This could be the weirdest match ever, or this could be the best ECW on TNN main event that never was. RVD's in awesome shape, but I think this one's largely going to depend on how deep they go. IDK if I see it going a full segment length but I'm sure we'll get the hits at least.

Mox/Hardy... I mean, look. It'll be fun. I ain't looking for anything out of Jeff here that I wasn't looking for from 55 year old Hulk Hogan as WWF Champion in 2002. This is a "two big name stars to get eyeballs on the show" match, and I have absolutely zero qualms with it. Edit: you know how I referred to RVD/Swerve as a TNN main event above? This one ought to be the New Jack match that goes around the building (in spirit, not card placement).

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

I really really hope that 

1. Swerve can do something better than he could with a washed Jeff Hardy and 

2. Moxley can do something better than Swerve with a washed Jeff Hardy

because the guy I saw last week was not the guy I saw against Darby. The first one could be really weird and cool. The second one could, and will probably be really sloppy and bloody which is in my wheelhouse. So, cross yer fingers. 

• Like 2

This is a card where none of the matches (save for maybe Deonna/Taya) should go over 5 minutes, but they'll all be 12+ with the obvious losers getting way too much offense.

There's a good opportunity here for Fletcher to get a cheap win over Jericho, and for Toa to establish himself as a Meng/Norton level midcard killer by taking one off Hangman to mix things up, but I doubt we'll get anything that cool. Swerve gloating about Hangman losing this week only to drop one to someone like Dante Martin in a couple weeks to even things back up for a triple threat would be good TV.

• Like 4

This is the last time I ever try to be optimistic with you people, god dammit. I hope you all end up watching basketball, and the rest of us get Sasha Banks, Batista, a MAX deal, an MJF return, Sting saying "nevermind" to retirement, and an announcement unifying at least 5 belts. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I said this to Matt yesterday in last week's thread, but I think it's worth a repost: these weird-on-paper Dynamites are often the sneaky good ones.

Goodwill equity well earned. 

• Like 1

Hey, I'm with ya on the positivity for tonight.  Hangman/Toa will fucking rule and I think Swerve/RVD will be pretty darn great.  I'm not as confident in Mox/Hardy due to Jeffrey but the rest of the show sounds like a breezy good time.

• Like 3

Hey, I WAS being positive! (Really. That is me being positive. Any shade of gray "shining" out of the black abyss...) Anyway I also think and even look forward to Deonna/Taya being good, not just because they've both got a blueprint, but because I not only like Deonna but I *gasp* like Taya. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Looking forward to everything on this show except for Hardy vs Moxley. Although I usually don't look forward to Moxley matches that much until they happen - he's too protected for many of them to have any intrigue results wise, but he tends to go above and beyond to make them fun. But Jeff Hardy being on Dynamite several weeks in a row is a rough one when they're still rationing our helpings of Hobbs, Takeshita and several of the other lesser used meat lads.

Could do with some sort of clusterfuck tag match, it'd get more guys on the show and provide a change of pace from all the singles.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

Could do with some sort of clusterfuck tag match, it'd get more guys on the show and provide a change of pace from all the singles.

I agree a little variety would be nice in that regard, but I could also see the idea of holding back on something like that after just having similar in the cage on Collision - I guess it makes sense to let that breathe a little bit.

41 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I liked Swerve/Hardy

I did too.

btw @Zakk_SabbathKyle Fletcher is like 8 inches taller than Sydal. But I think it will be a good match albeit with Callis shenanigans.

also, I think Deonna-Taya will be a great match

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 2

If Hangman did/does choose RVD, I don't really get it in a kayfabe sense.

I figure if you're choosing your hated rival's opponent, you'd want someone super scary or badass. I know RVD is presented as a legend and all that, but he'd be way down on the list of guys I'd pick to mess up someone I hated. Why not Mox or Lance Archer or Big Bill or something?

If they really want to present Hangman as a badass, have him choose himself with the thinking that he would love to get his hands on Swerve even if he has to pull double duty in one night.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday, I was  trying to catch up on everything I'd missed in the last few weeks. The match where Mogul Embassy lost the ROH Six Man titles, it really showed how Kaun has taken some major steps in terms of his ring work over the last few months. Or possibly he was always good but never showed it.

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This is the last time I ever try to be optimistic with you people, god dammit. I hope you all end up watching basketball, and the rest of us get Sasha Banks, Batista, a MAX deal, an MJF return, Sting saying "nevermind" to retirement, and an announcement unifying at least 5 belts. 🙂

Today I learned that you aren't hyped for Denver vs. Oklahoma City!

• Haha 1

Brian Danielson vs Hechicero added to COLLISION~!

Edited by AxB
Not Rampage
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3