DVDVR Message Board

The Wall Street Journal Vince McMahon Thread.

Message added by jaedmc,

It's a gross story, don't stare too deeply into the abyss or it will stare back.

Also be adults and don't make us ban you.

I had thought about this momentarily earlier but forgot until now: Do you think, when all is said and done, Vince kills himself? He's probably one of those types that just refuses to die but he has lost everything now -- the company he lived for, his wife, likely any relationship with his daughter and his son-in-law. He's got enough money to keep him in steak wraps but so what? He's lost the one thing he always needed. Control. 

• Like 5

I'm surprised they got him to resign so soon. I figured it would take a bit and few more sponsor threats. It already seemed like TKO wanted to slowly push him out even before this news likely due to some awareness of it.

Glad Vince is gone though its far from over. More names have to be jumping or eventually pushed off as the lawsuit continues.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

Vince fucked with the money, and that’s really the only rule in capitalism. Don’t fuck with the money.

Spoiler

It sounds like he used company money to pay for the hotels that John Laurinaitis raped her in

If you don’t want to read everything but have the stomach for the everything terrible involved, I recommend Post Wrestling has an episode on this that goes over a lot of this.

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Do you think, when all is said and done, Vince kills himself?

No. I could see him faking it to escape though. Paul London just needs to keep a straight face for him to pull it off this time. 

• Haha 7

Not sure if posting this within this thread is a good idea or not. But getting at the base of the alleged culture of the company and not just Vince:

6-BCC8049-2-D43-4-A71-832-D-A8963-FD594-
This popped up on Reddit from an old Ryan Nemeth AMA.

"No. I could see him faking it to escape though. Paul London just needs to keep a straight face for him to pull it off this time"

...aaaand the comedians are here. So that's that, then? 

Edited by Goitre

That complaint was really damning. Usually complaints are just words and what is alleged. Sometimes there are some pictures or something. Putting text messages out like that absolutely sealed the deal. 

The other thing in the complaint that was interesting is how easy it pointed to Brock. The other people who knew things but not sued all had things like “Corporate Officer #4.” They put Brock out there on blast. No attempt at anonymity at all.

Her attorneys are really interesting. The woman taking the lead in the press is named Ann Callis. She ran for Congress as a Democrat a few years ago and was a judge in Illinois. I have no clue if she and her firm have done sexual harrsssment claims. But their website talks about all the class action damages they have won against really huge companies. (“We represent everyone who ever smoked a cigarette and now we are suing Philip Morris for $10 billion.”)

The “actual” lead attorney is a corporate attorney from Connecticut — he does things like “I represent this big company against this big company.” I am guessing they needed the Connecticut attorney since he’s in the Connecticut bar. It also helps if you have a Connecticut attorney who probably knows (or knows people who know) the judge and the lay of the land.  Callis is based in St. Louis. I forget how it works in terms of how you can represent people if you’re not in that state’s bar exam. But such an interesting mix.

Usually, you will see an attorney who specialize in workplace discrimination law handle a case like this. You don’t see corporate attorneys or class action firms take on cases like this. I am so curious as to how this woman picked them. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

We don’t know what they were hearing behind the scenes. And maybe from people bigger than sponsors. 

When they start tweeting various versions of "I hope the actions of one and only one evil man are not allowed to taint or destroy the legacy of the WWE Universe for all those we have inspired and empowered over the years." then we'll know what they were hearing behind the scenes...or at least what they were told to say.

• Like 4

Vince, should he live long enough, will attempt to control his narrative with a memoir. That's his next and final work.

Also: Remember this is a grand jury that subpoenaed Vince related to the hush money payments and especially the part where the WWE violated the laws about disclosing how much money you made to the public. (As in: Vince paid off women with company money, and the company misstated how much money it made as a result.)

But those types of grand jury probes can go in all sorts of different places. There absolutely could be criminal charges at some point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I had thought about this momentarily earlier but forgot until now: Do you think, when all is said and done, Vince kills himself? He's probably one of those types that just refuses to die but he has lost everything now -- the company he lived for, his wife, likely any relationship with his daughter and his son-in-law. He's got enough money to keep him in steak wraps but so what? He's lost the one thing he always needed. Control. 

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

I'd think that Vince is slightly more likely to do an RF Video shoot interview than an actual suicide. Now this doesn't rule out him doing self destructive things now that he has money and nothing to do.

I'm still holding to my prediction that he basically traces Joe Paterno's footsteps.  His life's work in ruins, rightly drummed out of his personal fiefdom in disgrace, and just... doesn't continue.

• Like 5