DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/17 - 1/23/2024 - Hooked on a Feeling

Toni Storm is a goddamned treasure, during the commercial break she said that Deonna Purazzo had "A fat ass and a bad attitude. Just like Orson Welles."

• Like 10
  • Haha 11

The opener was totally my shit.  Main event was perfectly booked and wrestled other than that NASTY bump on the announcers table.

Oh joy, Orange Cassidy has to work Penta again..

Yes, please unify the trios titles and then retire them. Colten Gunn has a very nice dropkick but his lariats are shit.

Marq Quen was in bad need of some WD-40, not in shape and moving slow. Killed that match cold.

Anna and Deonna did not gel until after PiP. Venus de Milo is a sweet submission hold. Toni was mugging overtime, and Deonna tried to hold her own.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the Anna/Deonna match. Took a bit to click but it got there. Sad that Anna Jay will likely vanish for a while again since we can't have too many women on screen in AEW. Toni is a gem but I honestly think Luther makes the act with his little facial expressions and total devotion to being the butler. 

• Like 3

Thinking about the Jay Briscoe tribute reminds me again how it sucks the Briscoes weren't permitted to be on AEW. There was going to be no tribute to Jay either until the backlash to that decision.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Dustin being around during the Sting retirement tour is one of those things.. guessing Dustin will retire in the same sense that Dusty retired but also worked occasionally post-1991

If Dustin showed up just to cut a promo, hit somebody with punches and a length of rope, and blade his eyebrow then I'd be fine with that at this point.

• Like 5

Great show.

Dustin/Christian was so damn good. It’s two of the best to ever do it and why would else expect anything less? I am trying to think of anything they did to each other in the match that involved a bump beyond a frog slash, destroyer, a soear and Christian’s finisher. That is professional wrestling at its peak — two experts who know the craft of telling a story by working punches and feints and eye pokes. That does not include Nick Wayne — he has a deathwish apparently. The finish was a little off, but the false finish right before was awesome. Just a great match and a joy to watch. 

This has been the first time I truly enjoyed The Bucks. Nicholas and Matthew leaning into the aloof EVP shtick rules. I especially loved the HR violation of calling Renee sweetheart. I know they won’t do it, but heel Bucks can just explain that they have a personal referee who understands his place that justifies the inconsistent reffing in their matches. 

Swerve with the moniest of promos. I definitely do not want to see him and Hangman Part 58383883 but they do have good chemistry. 

However I am invested in The Acclaimed/Gunn Club Part 37473882. The reason why is because it is Bowens taking the leadership reigns on his end. I am such a fan of that guy. This is a great way for him to build out his character more than it’s established beyond “the guy who likes scissoring.” I really miss The Acclaimed being such a huge part of the shows. They were briefly the biggest act in the company. And man the more I think about it The Acclaimed vs. Swerve In Their Glory 1 might be my favorite AEW match. 

Toni Storm absolutely rules. Such an absurdly great act. She knows how to lean into it perfectly. Deonna was about to break. Also, did Deonna say she and Toni Storm were roommates? How many roommate issues has Toni Storm had considering that was the hook they used for her relationship with Jamie Hayter. (Come back soon Jamie.)

That main event was something else. Joe wrecking dudes for a few months until there’s a hot enough act to take him down, and then Joe gets the belt back a little bit after that, rinse and repeat and you have your main event world title picture set for as long as you want. That was a fantastic beating. It worked.

But could it worked better if: 

1) Hook started off taking it to Joe, who then once he got advantage trucked his ass and it ended with Hook somehow coming into the ring after getting CTE from that table spot only to immediately get choked out.

2) Taz got off the table and begged Hook to not get back in the ring, only for Hook to do so. Or maybe Tax throws in the towel when his son is being choked out. 

Also, did they say Hook was from St. Mark’s in Manhattan? What the fuck is he doing there? Getting an AFI T-Shirt? Enjoying falafel? Trying to boost some graphic novels from St. Mark’s Comics? Taking a class at Cooper Union?

Either way, good night of wrestling.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Also, did they say Hook was from St. Mark’s in Manhattan? What the fuck is he doing there?

I guess that the street corner with his drug crew they film the vignettes in is not located there.

30 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

This has been the first time I truly enjoyed The Bucks. Nicholas and Matthew leaning into the aloof EVP shtick rules. I especially loved the HR violation of calling Renee sweetheart. I know they won’t do it, but heel Bucks can just explain that they have a personal referee who understands his place that justifies the inconsistent reffing in their matches.

The Wish Billy Corgan.

Tonight was a good show. Toni Storm continues to deliver in her over exaggerated acting. I cracked up when she called Ricaboni "Shivone" and had wondered how he got into such good shape and saved the beard off. He lost the erring he was much younger too.

Deonna vs. Toni should be a good match when it happens.

Hook vs. Joe was fun. Hook took a lot from Taz in kicking out at one after the muscle buster. I liked how he kept fighting and fighting and did manage to T-Bone Joe. It was a good fight and Joe looked great and I liked that they set up Hangman and Swerve as the next guys after the title.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Surprised you enjoyed something so worked-shooty. Not trying to score points or anything, just happy to see you got something out of it. Not what I normally associate with your taste. 

• Like 2

Always stoked to enter the RICCABONEZONE

Knox' gimmick is he's the blind ref.  Stolen from whoever the blind ref in WWE was for years.  That finish in the tag was ridiculous.  Quen didn't look ready to be back on TV yet at all.  Kinda sucks for Kassidy because he'd improved quite a bit and now he's saddled with this guy working himself back into shape who was green to begin with, and it sucks for Top Flight because they'd been building momentum, were better than PP to begin with.....so yea....I would have had Quen working the rust off before doing any of this

Hook has always been billed from St. Mark's Place because he legit lives there.  It's a "hipster spot" in the East Village, lower Manhattan.  That whole area actually has cool history beyond comic books and whatever the fuck Greggulator was on about up there

Urange on the table was BRUTAL.  I rewound that multiple times, it was back of the head straight into no give.  For someone with so much core strength, Hook often looks like a young giraffe or deer struggling to get his legs under him during his matches....am I the only one?  He's legit strong, but he manages to look not that at all in-between his suplexes....

Austin Gunn is a tremendous FiP, much like he's a tremendous stooging heel.  During the break I was transfixed by him selling taking a beating from Bishop.  It's kind of weird that BCG are ostensibly faces now and the guy who was getting the biggest face reaction of the group isn't there for it.  I needed a clearer listen of their new remixed theme which took the Gunns dope theme and did something to it.  Merge the 6 man belts please.

I got a kick out of Toni's "fat ass and bad attitude" comment, also confusing Ian with Tony was great once I picked up on it

• Like 3

Great opener from Dustin/Christian.   Loved the Briscoe tribute, crazy that it's been 1 year. Strong/Orange has awesome potential.

Deonna/Anna was quick but enjoyable. Looking forward to Deonna/Toni.  Thrilled that Darby & Sting are actually going to go after the tag titles after all this time.

Absolutely loved the main event, thought it was near-perfect booking for it. Got great ECW vibes from it. Hook rules and I hope we get a nice long Joe reign. 

Digging the lineup for Rampage with Jericho/Sydal, nice callback to Sydal beating Jericho years ago, and a Darby/Jeff Hardy rematch, plus more Queen Aminata!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Always stoked to enter the RICCABONEZONE

Knox' gimmick is he's the blind ref.  Stolen from whoever the blind ref in WWE was for years.  That finish in the tag was ridiculous.  Quen didn't look ready to be back on TV yet at all.  Kinda sucks for Kassidy because he'd improved quite a bit and now he's saddled with this guy working himself back into shape who was green to begin with, and it sucks for Top Flight because they'd been building momentum, were better than PP to begin with.....so yea....I would have had Quen working the rust off before doing any of this

Hook has always been billed from St. Mark's Place because he legit lives there.  It's a "hipster spot" in the East Village, lower Manhattan.  That whole area actually has cool history beyond comic books and whatever the fuck Greggulator was on about up there

Urange on the table was BRUTAL.  I rewound that multiple times, it was back of the head straight into no give.  For someone with so much core strength, Hook often looks like a young giraffe or deer struggling to get his legs under him during his matches....am I the only one?  He's legit strong, but he manages to look not that at all in-between his suplexes....

Austin Gunn is a tremendous FiP, much like he's a tremendous stooging heel.  During the break I was transfixed by him selling taking a beating from Bishop.  It's kind of weird that BCG are ostensibly faces now and the guy who was getting the biggest face reaction of the group isn't there for it.  I needed a clearer listen of their new remixed theme which took the Gunns dope theme and did something to it.  Merge the 6 man belts please.

I got a kick out of Toni's "fat ass and bad attitude" comment, also confusing Ian with Tony was great once I picked up on it

It has been a minute since I have been to St. Mark’s Place but it ain’t no hipster spot. It was sleazy cool in the 70s and 80s but even in the 90s it was more for suburban kids trying on bondage pants before going to see a Lookout Records pop-punk band than anything else. (Source: It me.) Last time I went, it was perfectly fine for what it is — a good comic shop, vintage clothing shops, falafel takeaway spots and carts and the like. I think you need to learn what a hipster is.