DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVII - 1/27/2024

I did have to post on Reddit/SC this afternoon about how it would be a bad idea for them to bring in Moose for tonight's Rumble especially after this week.

Without coming TNA's entire roster, i'm guessing Eric Young would be up there for guys who could easily cameo in WWE while working for TNA. Would TNA take it the wrong way if they were asked to hook up with NXT for Florida House Shows to keep their guys busy and to get the NXT guys more work?

S'far as the rest of the show, glad Jade had a good debut and eliminated Nia single-handedly instead of my idea where she was Diesel and Nia eliminates her later with some fuckery. Bayley as a winner is just fine by me, and it was neat to see Naomi back.

The finish of the Paul/KO match was good ol' Southern rasslin'? I think? Felt like it but I'm far from an expert. Missed most of it visually but could hear commentary talking about movez~ so yeah. Hope KO didn't take some insane suicidal bump that I missed because that dude lowkey has a death wish and no one ever mentions it. Last year's Rumble he's having his head slammed backwards onto the corners of the ring steps, and I think him and Roman had a singles match during the Big Dawg Era when he swantoned onto a stack of chairs but with the tops of the backrests up. Yikes.

Men's Rumble was... fine? Surprised Cody won a little but it gives me hope they'll do the right thing this year. They WILL, right? ...right?

Presentation was awesome, had some of the usual zoomins and cuts but it wasn't awful and THE TIMES being displayed on screen for multiple big names. The opening felt like I was about to watch a sporting event almost instead of rasslin'. I haven't watched a show to this extent since Kevin Dunn left and if this is only the beginning I like it. Make the phony shit look legit, goddammit. 

6 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

So did Dwayne get cold feet with the Vince situation or did he realize there was no way he could work anything close to a real match for them to go back to Cody/Roman?

I'm still convinced the only reason Roman atleast early on in this extended reign has had the title so long was to have He vs Rock at an earlier Mania. It's just took a life of its own and then others involved have carried this run to other levels. Don't get me wrong,  I'm still loving Roman as heel, getting to be more of a extension of his real life self but the Bloodline thing has cooled down. Solo is a nice modern version of Umaga mixed with Samoa Joe but he doesn't have the charisma Jey has.

With Roman being off TV so much it hadn't been a problem not having him on TV much Untill they split up the Usos and put Jey on Raw. The Usos carried the Bloodline angle after the Sami payoff. If Rock keeps getting cold feet then just finish Cody's story. Cody is still hot man. The people still want it too. People expected this was Lex Express 2.0 with not going with Cody and it could have been if the fans decided to completely move on from him last year and they easily could have. At this point the only interesting match Roman has left is with Rock. The only other interesting man Roman has other than Rock would be Punk for obvious reasons and that doesn't need a title but morse because they might not have enough faith Punk will pass his 1 year probationary period lol

Mainly watched the women's rumble before switching to the cage match on Collision. We got P'Cock because the wife asked, "Have you heard of this show, 'Twisted Metal'?" She watched the match with me. We joked about how gaudy the outfits and hair situation was, with soooooo many colors and extensions, and when somebody's extensions had fallen out, she was got a kick out of that. 

Chelsea Green was the MVP. 

It's shocking how good and crisp Jordynne Grace looked compared to basically everybody else. 

Jade had a great debut, but being taken out briefly by a ring post spot and then lying around playing dead was a real drag. 

Bayley winning was nice, always loved Bayley. 

Watched the Rumble in its entirety and viewed AEW Collision on tape this morning. I mentioned while reviewing AEW Worlds End that there is a real difference between the WWE and AEW fan -- the latter gulps down everything newsworthy (hence AEW misreading the room on how the fans would react to Jericho) while the WWE fan and pretty much only knows the E. And it showed ...

-- Zero reaction to Jordynne Grace entering the Rumble. She was one of the Top 3-4 performers in the match, but the casual WWE fan knows nothing about her.

-- Fans pretty much sat on their hands for most of the men's and women's entries unless it's someone who gets lots of TV time and the like.

Go to Collision, fans show immediate respect to Yuji Nagata, Serena Deeb, etc., and seem excited for everything. Yes, crowds are different, but I liked a show where fans gave a plop for just about everything.

Women's Rumble was OK. Bayley winning was the right decision but, once Becky was eliminated, it was pretty obvious.

As Coletti noted, Chelsea was the MVP. She reminded me of a side character in a Three Stooges short who's always getting punched and slapped and hit with pies yet is still trying to take charge. Think Emil Sitka in "Brideless Groom" (HOLD HANDS YOU LOVEBIRDS!). Heck, make Chelsea the pastor the next time the WWE wants to do an in-ring wedding.

Jade held her own and the fans were impressed, but she looked limited in the ring and the ring post spot seemed odd. Also noticed Nia did about 90% of the work on the elimination.

I'll give Nia credit -- she looks better both physically and in-ring and actually appeared confident in her ability. 

The R-Truth bit was beyond stupid. Managed to bury Sarah Logan and, as my 12-year-old daughter watched this (she caught some of the show while texting friends), she openly asked me if R-Truth's gimmick is that "he's in special ed classes." 

Kayden Carter looks like someone left Nyla Rose in the dryer too long.

Got up this morning and pretty much forgot what happened during the Roman 4-way. It was that forgettable to me.

Owens-Logan was decent, but I hated that ending. The trope of "wrestler is too stupid to hide the weapon" is tiring. Felt like a Dusty finish, but at least builds to something toward WM. And Logan is quite good for someone with so little experience.

Men's Rumble seemed off. Some of the eliminations looked wonky (Omos, Bronson Reed. Jimmy Uso turning his back before taking the Bron clothesline for the elimination was weird).

Bron looked like a star in the making, even with what appeared to be a limited moveset. Natural charisma and hurty looking moves. Surprised the announcers didn't say anything about his family lineage (yes, his father is a no-go given his behavior, but someone could have said things about "another Michigan champ" or "works like a gremlin.")

Pat McAfee spot was pretty stupid. I would have slotted Montez Ford in that slot given he and Bianca have a reality show premiering soon.

Referencing Big E's proposed meaty man tournament was cool.

I had to mute the announcing several times during the show. Way too much "OMG" and 'CAN YOU BELIEVE IT" nonsense. And Michael Cole apparently getting aroused by Sarah Logan's antlers led to the rest of the women's Rumble being muted.

Did like a focus on numbers during the Rumbles, as well as mentioning the length of title reigns and the like.

I don't watch a lot of WWE, but the CGI animations before a wrestler came out, honestly, seemed dumb. And there's nothing unique about much fo the entrance music. There was a lot of sameness to the music and the "videos."

After this week I went to a Robbie Burns party instead of watching live, skipping through the replay and I don't think I missed all that much. I've made my thoughts known on Cody, glad he works for other people but I think there were at least 5 more interesting options. WWE sure knows how to kill their own momentum sometimes

Bron getting Brock’s run is interesting to think about. Would suggest a Brock/Judgment Day program heading into Mania season. Delusional Dom crowing about eliminating Lesnar would’ve been amusing.

Speaking of JD—obviously fuck Vince forever, but part of my brain can’t help but wonder how he would’ve responded to Priest’s complete lack of star response last night. Crowd was giving big Just A Guy energy.

My thoughts after Cody winning the Rumble, are that maybe we get Reigns/Rhodes/Rock at Mania, Rock doesnt have to work the whole match, can rest and give Rhodes and Reigns a majority of the spotlight. That way Reigns can pin Rock, Rhodes doesnt take the pinfall and Rhodes gets an extended story where he finally gets a one on one rematch with Reigns in Saudi or somewhere down the line.  Thats just where my brain goes, but reality may be that Rock has no interest in wrestling at Mania.

There was a certain point late in both Rumbles where the crowd noticeably perked up in their mood, and their hive-mind did a “who’s left in the ring - oh good, any of these people winning would be acceptable!” calculation. No Corbin/Nia/Kane-Big Show-Batista horseshit deliberately antagonizing anyone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

The finish of the Paul/KO match was good ol' Southern rasslin'? I think?

I want to know what the last time they had a DQ at a PPV was... or if they ever have. 

Chelsea getting squished by everybody was a hoot.

That's probably the worst crowd the WWE has had in years. The whole show's audio was a steady hum of casual conversation. They barely even seemed to get excited to do the countdowns.

The announcing wasn't helping anything. McAfee was like early Collision Kevin Kelly, where its obvious that he hasn't been watching and doesn't know what any of the angles or gimmicks are. All 3 sounded actively bored during most of the men's rumble.

Glad Cody won, hopefully he beats Roman and the Bloodline storyline gets put down like Old Yeller. The whole thing is running on fumes.

Edited by elizium
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I want to know what the last time they had a DQ at a PPV was... or if they ever have. 

They had a DQ with Rollins/Reigns at the Rumble 2 years ago. I’m sure they’ve had one since then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Casey said:

I wish I could say I’m surprised that people are wishing or betting on Punk being injured, but it’s also the same ones that mention Punk for some reason in a thread about Vince McMahon being a sexual predator. Just fucking weird.

I' don't think you were referring to me here here just in case you were I want to add I don't want Punk to be hurt. I hope I'm wrong. Despite all the shit he stirred up I still generally want the guy to walk away feeling fulfilled and like he has closure on the wrestling career when he finishes up. I just noticed right away him messing with the right triceps after the Futureshock. Same as I noticed him messing with his arm after the dive to Mox when he got hurt in that one.

8 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I' don't think you were referring to me here here just in case you were I want to add I don't want Punk to be hurt. I hope I'm wrong. Despite all the shit he stirred up I still generally want the guy to walk away feeling fulfilled and like he has closure on the wrestling career when he finishes up. I just noticed right away him messing with the right triceps after the Futureshock. Same as I noticed him messing with his arm after the dive to Mox when he got hurt in that one.

That was clearly a bait comment, no one here was wishing Punk got hurt and mentioning after a wrestling show "so and so may have been injured" is a rather normal thing we do after every event. I had the same concern about Orton, anytime a wrestler is "selling" an injury that didn't seem to be part of the storyline, AND the commentators don't acknowledge it, I am concerned its legitimate. Course it could be anything from a bruise to a tear, since wrestlers don't react to bad injuries as a normal human does. Hopefully both just got hit funny and nothing serious happened.

• Like 1

I haven't seen a frame of TNA/Impact since Hogan and Bischoff came in back in the day, but I was an apologist for it here back in the Jarrett part of the Spike TV era, so I was pleasantly shocked to see how hard they put over Jordynne and the company. They made it seem like a big deal that she was there and made her look good even though she didn't make it to the end.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I haven't seen a frame of TNA/Impact since Hogan and Bischoff came in back in the day, but I was an apologist for it here back in the Jarrett part of the Spike TV era, so I was pleasantly shocked to see how hard they put over Jordynne and the company. They made it seem like a big deal that she was there and made her look good even though she didn't make it to the end.

Honestly if I had to rank the MVPs of the women's rumble, she'd be in the top three somewhere (Chelsea was also great). She looked really polished, hit her spots well, and seemed to fit in just fine. I remember her saying in the past one reason she wasn't rushing to WWE is her other hobbies/interests/revenue streams but I think if she ever wants to go there she'd do really well.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, elizium said:

That's probably the worst crowd the WWE has had in years. The whole show's audio was a steady hum of casual conversation. They barely even seemed to get excited to do the countdowns.

This does beg us to ask the question, exactly what were they supposed to get excited about? I didn’t make it home for the women’s match, but the men’s rumble was a brutal slog. The flow of the Rumble has always been built on entrance pops, new guys getting their shine, elimination teases, rare/odd face-offs, and, yes finally, dudes getting yeeted* over the top. Probably some other things I’m forgetting, but generally that’s what the crowd responds to.

Well, most modern WWE theme music sucks and you can barely tell one from the next, so nobody pops for entrances.

The intervals between entrances are so short, especially when they speed it up in the middle, so guys get very little time to shine. (Punk was in the ring for what felt like 30 seconds before he was on his ass, getting worked over, in his big return to a WWE ring. The crowd could barely get a decent CM Punk chant going.)

And most of the time, if guys aren’t involved in a scripted shine/elimination moment, nobody is really doing anything of dramatic interest. Which really becomes a problem when the match goes long stretches without any eliminations, as last night’s match did.

*Like Jey Uso was in the match for almost an hour, and I couldn’t tell you a single thing he did between the opening face-off with Jimmy and his elimination sequence. The guy’s whole thing is yeeting people AND YOU DIDN’T BOOK HIM TO YEET A BUNCH OF PEOPLE? The crowd was clearly ready to chant YEET all night, and instead you had him take a long nap in a corner most of the match. What are we even doing here?

So I was not the least bit surprised that the crowd was dead.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We watched the 92 Rumble yesterday morning, so the amount of people just laying around in this year’s really stood out. In 92, the “non-featured” wrestlers would at least be looking like they were attempting to eliminate someone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Shit son, they had a DQ in a *Hell In A Cell match* during the Rollins/Fiend thing maybe, what, just over four years ago? Five? That match already pissed everyone off by looking like a Virtua Boy game, then a friggin' disqualification in what the company deemed their Final Boss match gimmick for a feud. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyways if you count the Women’s Rumbles, they’ve had over 40 Royal Rumbles on Rumble shows since 1988, so if you’ve watched long enough, there’s probably not a lot of good things that you haven’t seen and if they play the hits, that’ll burn itself out too.

Also having two rumbles will dilute things but they really don’t have a way out of that which wouldn’t miff some people.

Did anyone ever say what exactly the guy yelled at Nia Jax? Other than it was unflattering, based on what the announcers said right after.

also, did they finally run out of escape finishes for Kofi? 

Edited by odessasteps