DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

oh okay.. I didn't know that, so it wouldn't have surprised me if After The Fire just made new lyrics, like how Nena's 99 Red Balloons veers a little from Nena's 99 Luftbalons

Worry worry super scurry

call the troops out in a hurry 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Nord said that he and Brody would have come in during 1989 as a team. I think the Bolsheviks got their spot instead. It would have been hilarious and just like Vince to bring them in to feud with the Bushwhackers for six months.

I genuinely would have enjoyed a Brody/Nord vs. Bushwhackers feud, but I am also a sicko. Also, Brody and Nord as faces against Rhythm and Blues, maybe?

• Haha 1

if Brody comes along a little earlier than he did, he's owning a territory, isn't he?

The timeline if you forgot.. Brody was born in 1946, debuted in 1973, had his WWWF run in 1976. So if he was 5-10 years older, then he's in a better position to pick up some office in his 40s than he would have been in 1986 when territories were dying.

One of the various rumors about the murder is that Brody was going to buy into WWC (maybe buying Monsoon’s share) and that woud have been bad for Gonzalez.

i could have seen Brody buying into Maytsik’s STL promotion if Larry didn’t go to work for Vince.

Edited by odessasteps

19 minutes ago, username said:

You all are thinking too small re: a time machine and finding opponents for Hulk Hogan.

...I'm snagging Goliath, brother.

He jobbed to King David before David was even crowned, brother, he's no threat to the Hulkster. That's not gonna work for Hogan, brother.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, username said:

You all are thinking too small re: a time machine and finding opponents for Hulk Hogan.

...I'm snagging Goliath, brother.

He was good in Memphis teaming with Uncke Fred.

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

He was good in Memphis teaming with Uncke Fred.

Dude, I just watched a Goliath and Big Bubba (the future Tugboat/Typhoon) match the other week. I was like, "why is One Man Gang tagging with Typhoon?". Then, I realized that wasn't One Man Gang.

The period when Memphis wrestling is still very much relevant but definitely not as hot as the earlier part of the 1980s is very intriguing. You're getting maybe one or two guys like Fred Ottman who clearly have a WWF look but they're relying more and more on guys who would be mainstays and never really leave Memphis like (Boy) Tony Falk, Jerry Bryant, Lou Winston, Billy Travis, David Haskins. You got the Interns under various gimmicks. Plowboy Frazier post WWF fame is rolling around literally and figuratively. Tojo is doing matches here and there. Phil Hickerson shows up every once and awhile. That talent pipeline ain't what it use to be.

I mean I guess it would set the course for the USWA mid 90s days where you get Reggie B. Fine and Spellbinder (who only got to be in WWF for like a few days caused he sucked so bad) who you definitely knew weren't going to be anywhere except wrestling in that one particular place. For every Harlem Knights and Jeff Jarrett you got who went on to have some to great success in the bigger organizations, you got six or seven dudes who were either too Southern especially by Vince or Bischoff standards or too random generated colorless 90s Independent wrestler.

• Like 3

I think bringing in Cactus Jack around the same time he first left WCW in June 1990, and does the feud with Sting instead it's with Hogan (rather than pairing him with Earthquake), it would have been fun. 

But yes, also captivated by the idea of Sabu hitting an arabian facebuster on Hulk through a table, Hulk no selling it, hulking up, and Sabu cutting it off by throwing a chair at his head.

Scott Hall would have been handy too. He feeds well for Hogan's offence, Hall's big spots are things you could see Hogan taking without making him look weak, hulking up whilst up for the Razor's Edge has way too much Christ-like imagery for it not to feed his ego either.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Hogan working Mike Awesome and taking multiple table power bombs from him is something that feels like it shouldn't exist but does. 

Well they were relatives… not in the same sense of how people thought Bill Alfonso and Mike Awesome were related because Mike Awesome’s real name is Michael Alfonso

• Like 1

So, in the universe where Bill Alfonso doesn’t save his ECW job by blading for Beulah, does Bill Alfonso go to WCW to become the NWO referee because Hogan gets worked into thinking Fonzie is a cousin of his?

Edited by Cobra Commander