DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JANUARY 2024

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

The difference is that your boss violating the Casual Fridays taboo is confined to your office. Tony Khan routinely does this publicly and embarrasses himself, the AEW roster, his own company, and his broadcasting partners at Warner Bros. Discovery.

This isn't entirely without merit, like I don't think this is a crazy thing to say by you or anything - but I'll be honest, TK popping off on Twitter happens with such frequency that I'm starting to get the impression WBD might not give a shit, or may even be outright pleased with the 'extra' social engagement.

Seeing the AEW lineup touted in WBD's marketing materials yesterday as posted by @Infinit- ahead of the NBA, and NHL no less!! - really went a LONG way in making me feel a little more secure in things. Whether there's any validity in feeling that way or not, I guess we'll see over the next few months or year or so.

I certainly agree with your point about it coming across a little embarrassing or tonedeaf at times - no argument from me - but by the same token, I feel a bit strangely dumping on a guy for believing in the product he's selling, especially as a thrice-a-week "customer" myself.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

The difference is that your boss violating the Casual Fridays taboo is confined to your office. Tony Khan routinely does this publicly and embarrasses himself, the AEW roster, his own company, and his broadcasting partners at Warner Bros. Discovery.

And yet....no one seems to say anything about being Embarrassed and continue to cash cheques or sign cheques for him.

As an AEW fan, Would I rather he not do it or if he had to; sign in to his DVDVR account to do it? Yes

As just a guy that may have a conversation like that with my wrestling buddies, Im a little happy that "One of Us" has screw you money and cares enough to say it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Did you ever see Vince McMahon on the Bob Costas Show?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, Leonidas said:

I can see this match being like when 2000 Jericho fought HHH for the title and they did that bait-and-switch win for half a show. It's going to be amazing and the crowd will love it.

Jinder would be the perfect person for Priest to immediately cash in on...

20 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Did you ever see Vince McMahon on the Bob Costas Show?

Or see him threaten THE ENTIRE FEDERAL JUSTICE SYSTEM that they became "the hunted" after the steroid trial?

• Haha 2

I feel like ROH had a pretty decent way of generating random title matches in the Joe-era by having him be on the losing side of tag-matches and then having to fight one of the Briscoes. 

Jinder would have been perfectly fine as champion if he was good in the ring. Which of course he wasn't. But tbh I like the idea of midcarders having a banner year, & tbvh I am actually bored of knowing who is going to win practically every match in AEW outside of PPVs. Unpredictable things happen in sports, f**k Ruso for making it seem crazy to occasionally lean into that. 

I actually like the idea of Hook beating Joe for the title, and giving the Firmly Undisputed Pinnacle of Kingdoms the runaround whilst Adam Cole heals up. I like Joe, but the title ain't no gold watch for service to the biz.

• Like 1

I am interested in how Warner Bros. got to the four million viewers per week number. Are they counting the hours of Dynamite and Collision separately?

Hook vs Joe will be fun, but please don't hinder Jinder.  

14 minutes ago, Dewar said:

I am interested in how Warner Bros. got to the four million viewers per week number. Are they counting the hours of Dynamite and Collision separately?

Hook vs Joe will be fun, but please don't hinder Jinder.  

Yes, these are the cumulative numbers for Dynamite, Rampage, and Collision (which, as noted yesterday, many absolute dolts are pointing to in the comments as some kind of 'gotcha').

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

I like Joe, but the title ain't no gold watch for service to the biz.

I get what you mean, but I think Joe makes a lot of sense right now because (and this is absolute, totally baseless conjecture/speculation by me) I think there's a possibility that with all the commonalities and intertwinedness through their careers, Khan could still use some of his plans for whatever Punk was gonna do this year with Joe instead of scrapping them entirely. I could completely see a world where World's End was supposed to be Max/Punk to unify

7 minutes ago, Dewar said:

I’m not sure either. The ratings for all 3 shows don’t add up to anywhere near 4 m. I think it has something to do with the term ‘reach’. Somebody who’s more familiar with TV will know how long a viewer has to watch a show for it to count as ‘reach’

Also would one person who watched all 3 shows be counted 3 times then?

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Whataboutism.

Not when people say "imagine a wrestling CEO acting this way." We don't have to imagine it. It happened, for decades.

That's not excusing Tony's rants. Of COURSE he probably shouldn't be doing this (although he did get Jinder to promote the match, so a win there). But for people to get the fainting couch because a wrestling executive glibly needled some fans, in a world where Vince McMahon threatened insurrection before it was cool, is either being willfully obtuse or weirdly ignorant of very recent history.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Dog said:

Not when people say "imagine a wrestling CEO acting this way." We don't have to imagine it. It happened, for decades.

That's not excusing Tony's rants. Of COURSE he probably shouldn't be doing this (although he did get Jinder to promote the match, so a win there). But for people to get the fainting couch because a wrestling executive glibly needled some fans, in a world where Vince McMahon threatened insurrection before it was cool, is either being willfully obtuse or weirdly ignorant of very recent history.

Tony Khan acting more erratic and more comparable to Eric Bischoff and Vince McMahon is not a good thing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PfYtGmZfx2c

Eddie Kingston doing local media for tonight's AEW Dynamite.

This was a test to see how well Eddie can do local media and I thought he did fine enough.  But the anchor was annoying especially when laughing while Eddie's listing his injuries.  Hopefully next time he does local news the anchor isn't like this guy but I doubt it.

2 hours ago, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

I like Joe, but the title ain't no gold watch for service to the biz.

One thing Joe always has going for him is that he has long title reigns (ROH and ROH TV). In fact, nobody beat him for the TV title. So he's always a threat to have a long, juggernaut title reign.

• Like 2