DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/27/2023 - 1/2/2024 - Apocalypse Yow!

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Continental Classic has to be the best tournament that ever happened, right? All killer, no Filler. 

I can think of maybe two in the U.S. ever that might even be in the conversation. This has been rad as hell. I mentioned earlier about the CC being a nice compliment to the Owen, and one thing I should've also noted there is that I think the point format as opposed to single elimination is another nice difference/complimentary aspect. I'd enjoy more of this format in most any sport tbh, but that's another conversation. I'll be honest, there's a part of me that wishes the CC took place on only one of Dynamite/Rampage/Collision so that it went on a little bit longer, but I bet you there's a chance TK booked it out this way on purpose with the NFL season ending and Fulham having four out of six games at home in January.

• Like 1

I really think the devil is Roddy at this point. He constantly tries to convince people that it’s MJF, and the devil didn’t make a single appearance during the time that they were doing the wacky skits at his house if I’m remembering correctly. 

What are the odds the devil is Tully and the masked goons are all the ex-pinnacle guys coming back to haunt MJF? Would be a bit of dissonance with what FTR are doing and the guys tonight didn't look like them physique-wise, but personally think it would be a better choice than any of the obvious contenders.

• Like 4

The good: two excellent tournament matches and an awesome story for the final.  It doesn’t matter that “we saw it coming” because that’s how a story works.  I’m pulling for The King of the Bums.

The bad: only one match in the first hour and then a bunch of sports entertainment.  And then only four matches in the whole show, including a five minute main that was more angle than match.  Is this the lightest episode ever?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steventon said:

What are the odds the devil is Tully and the masked goons are all the ex-pinnacle guys coming back to haunt MJF? Would be a bit of dissonance with what FTR are doing and the guys tonight didn't look like them physique-wise, but personally think it would be a better choice than any of the obvious contenders.

Would tie in with the Mogul Embassy too as we all remember Prince Nana's return to forming the Embassy this go around was from taking the reigns from Tully Blanchard Enterprises

I didn’t hate the closing segment, but it did make my think MJF’s entire title run sucked. I don’t like really long title reigns as is because it makes any defense pretty predictable. I also don’t see the logic in doing this whole Devil angle to now do business with Joe or always do business with Joe to give Joe a weakened MJF at the PPV. That just makes me think MJF defies the odds at the PPV to defeat Joe. The only problem is that whoever the Devil is needs to be credible enough to take the championship and that sure as hell isn’t Jungle Boy. Sadly, we’re running out of options because they’ve dismissed interesting ones like Swerve and Hangman and the obvious one, Cole, is hurt. The best option at this point feels like the one I thought of from some weeks ago that it’s Christian. It’s outside the box enough that no one would see it coming, it gives Christian a reason to still fuck around with Edge and other fatherless bastards, you can unify the World and TNT titles and let the International or Triple Crown be the second biggest championship, bring back Jungle Boy as a red herring and say him and Luchasaurus were the guys that won the titles tonight, and then have Christian beat MJF so the top heel is the top champion. Then let MJF get whatever surgery he needs, shit, have Christian drop the World title to Edge or something so Edge can then put over someone like Swerve.

That all beats the hell out of the Devil Is Jungle Boy option.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, YouHaveUntil5 said:

I really think the devil is Roddy at this point. He constantly tries to convince people that it’s MJF, and the devil didn’t make a single appearance during the time that they were doing the wacky skits at his house if I’m remembering correctly. 

They should keep rolling with Roddy saying MJF is the devil once someone else is revealed as the devil. The key to being a conspiracy dude is refusing to admit the truth that’s in front of you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Los Devilstadores never were announced as champions. Please just go away and never mention this storyline ever again. It sucks. 

On one hand, having unknown masked dudes holding the ROH Tag Team titles is on-brand with how ROH exists under AEW.

On the other hand, disappearing the ROH Tag Team titles in the background of this angle would be a decision.

Here's how you can explain Joe's actions: He knows that if MJF is too injured to compete ahead of time then an interim title would be established and Joe would have to deal with Mox or Wardlow or someone like that but if Max is injured at the PPV then Joe will win by forfeit (as per the last PPV). So he needed to keep MJF healthy long enough that an interim title would not be an option and then beat him down just enough that Max we'll be able to show up to World's End at which point Joe or the Devils can attack him again and Joe will be world champ without even having to wrestle. Then Joe can point to his head a thousand times, the classic way a heel shows he's been smart

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Things I remember from this week's episode of AEW Dynamite:

Moxley/Swerve/White started off like an ECW Arena brawl, only in a real arena. Also these matches are suddenly no DQ. Two guys fight, one guy rests. Eventually Swerve is knocked out of the way so that Moxley can pin Jay White.

Long lull between this and the next match.

Swerve is finally facing Keith Lee after the world's slowest build.

Don Callis has paintings and Sammy turns face again despite having a punchable face. Then we get Jericho and Sting and Darby as PPV build is going into overdrive.

Danielson/Kingston was a war. So it'll be Moxley/Kingston.

More angles. Christian and Edge fight. We're doing a month of PPV build a few days before the show.

We get Statlander vs Skye Blue real late in the night as Skye turned heel on some show I didn't watch. Julia Hart comes out. Willow's shirt barely covers enough of her chest. Abadon(?) does stuff. Surprised we're getting 4 matches instead of 3. Did someone fuck up the time cues.

Man... the main event is kicking off laaaate (it'll be a non-match). Satan's army is using the same entrance as Jon Moxley. Samoa Joe was been attacked by ninjas. So we're doing the same motherfucking angle twice in 4 weeks for this matchup. Nah, an actual match for however long it goes. More ninjas! The Army of Darkness has won the ROH World Tag Team titles! One of them can do a piledriver and cheats like a motherfucker. Samoa Joe is late and limping!

THE BLACK SCORPION HAS A MESSAGE just before Samoa Joe attacks MJF.

Okay, so we've just decided to kill the Devil thing and say it was Samoa Joe all along even if that probably doesn't make any sense.

So, MJF retains at the PPV.

Also go fuck yourself John Cena reality show, we join you in progress!

That was a real "typing your term paper 30 minutes before the class" episode of PPV building wrestling television. I probably forgot something in the first hour when they spent 30 minutes between matches.

Got a time ramp on this? For, uh, reasons?

• Haha 2

If you’re AEW with all the uncertainty about live attendances, how reluctant are you to have MJF lose the title in his backyard?

Granted if MJF retains on Saturday, the next off-ramp probably isn’t in the month of January without it looking like a hotshot. Which probably isn’t ideal since MJF’s title reign is sorta in extra time now.

1 minute ago, Just Dave said:

Got a time ramp on this? For, uh, reasons?

The run-in is on the YouTube video:

I’d describe Willow’s look as “late 70s Price is Right contestant who causes the network censors to sweat” but I figure that even here, references to 1977 episodes of The Price is Right are a little too old.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Speaking of making the censors sweat, I noticed they had to put a silencer on Skye Blue's new outfit.

5 hours ago, YouHaveUntil5 said:

I feel like the Joe stuff locks it into being Cole since he was so gung-ho about MJF teaming with Joe in the first place.

• Like 2

I liked the triple threat but the best parts were the 3 of them in the ring or going quickly in and out.  It didn't need the extracurricular brawling and weapons that went against the format of the tournament.  You can still have the referee toss Jay White for using a chair and make it one on one, for example, make it clear that there will be some semblance of law and order.  If it's No DQ that cancels out the no run in rule, why didn't Bullet Club Gold interfere constantly?  Keep it mostly in the ring and the guys have to be more creative, probably would have been a more memorable match

The direction they were going with Mox and Eddie seemed obvious and the crowd was ok with Mox winning but personally I found it pretty deflating.  The Mox and Eddie stuff would have been hotter a couple years ago.  IMO Mox is pretty stale right now, and that's coming from a fan

Danielson was awesome all throughout the tournament.  Now he's got Okada in a week, after that the man deserves some time to heal up.  I think I liked the first match better, not sure, this was pretty great though

If someone made a list of all the times Sammy has turned (or sort of, or teased) it might be less than we think, but it is pretty funny.  Wishy-washy hothead who can't quit Jericho is basically his character now.  It's for the best though honestly, he just had a kid and the Callis Family is overcrowded and directionless as is.  I'd like to see them save the trios titles and actually treat them as important.  Callis could get those belts over. 

The Devil stuff is TNA bullshit and I hate it.  The masks on the back of the ninja suit?  cringe.  It has elements of the mystery RAW GM, Black Scorpion and so much TNA.  At least the RAW GM entertained me at times.  It's dragged your top talent MJF, Joe and the world title down to where I don't care anymore.  Same thing with the women's division, between Julia Hart putting spells on people and black and white Toni I can't do it.  I want serious women's wrestling, this shit poisons the well for me to where I'm now at the point I'm skipping everything involving the women.  I can't believe how sports entertainment that whole area of the show has become in relatively short order.

When I think back to the 1st CC era of AEW TV it will be me not watching the shows live, and fast forwarding through a lot of wrestlecrap

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Gotta love the honor system of the two CC matches on Wednesday

”only you can cheat, no cheating by people not in the match”

I thought about that and yeah, the weapons kinda cheapened the "may the best man win" code of honor, because anyone can get lucky with a weapon shot! But that didn't come into play, fortunately.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Britt being the devil would be a little too hard of a shot to fans who are naturally inclined to blame women for the problems the men get into

Still saying Britt AND Cole oblivious of each other as The Devil(s) is very interesting choice, albeit not one I came up with! What if Roddy and Cole were the Devils?