DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/27/2023 - 1/2/2024 - Apocalypse Yow!

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Still saying Britt AND Cole oblivious of each other as The Devil(s) is very interesting choice, albeit not one I came up with! What if Roddy and Cole were the Devils?

As I said in the other thread, if Cole is still hobbling around on crutches (based on the new Da Party video), I'd think he's still a way away from returning. 

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As I said in the other thread, if Cole is still hobbling around on crutches (based on the new Da Party video), I'd think he's still a way away from returning. 

Sadly, this is probably totally correct. Although that could have been the reason why Cole hired other people to help MJF at the very beginning, because he was hurt and couldn't do it, then someone else took over and he wasn't aware of it.

16 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Strong suspicion Joe wins the title Saturday. I think taking the ROH titles tonight was part of getting everything off of him so he can get surgery

I slept on this one a little bit - I agreed with you last night, because I've been thinking for months that Joe's gonna get a 'Thanks for saving Wembley' mini-run, but I realized this morning that last night was certainly a bit of a subversion on the 'loser stands tall on the go home show'-trope if so - not to mention @Cobra Commandermakes an excellent point about having MJF drop it in LI at a time where non-PPV houses are a bit down. On the other hand "think of the heat!" But that may be too much of a WWE-style finish at a time where too much of that has been a bit of a recent criticism too.

It's a little messy, but in the end, I guess it's good that there's a bit of unpredictability to the finish (at least personally speaking) when I've been 99.9% sure Joes winning since ~August

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

If you’re AEW with all the uncertainty about live attendances, how reluctant are you to have MJF lose the title in his backyard?

Granted if MJF retains on Saturday, the next off-ramp probably isn’t in the month of January without it looking like a hotshot. Which probably isn’t ideal since MJF’s title reign is sorta in extra time now.

The run-in is on the YouTube video:

I’d describe Willow’s look as “late 70s Price is Right contestant who causes the network censors to sweat” but I figure that even here, references to 1977 episodes of The Price is Right are a little too old.

I forgot to mention that I also think MJF retains because the champ dropping the title in their backyard would be wild.

As for Skye, I thought I was the only one who noticed her, um, crotchtal region wardrobe malfunction on Saturday. I thought then that she’s going to need a little more to cover up to stay consistent with not showing dong or labia on tv. 

And 1977? I was born in 80 and watched the Price Is Right as far back as I can remember, so probably 4 or 5, and there has regularly been that one contestant who is fighting against fabric and gravity.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I thought then that she’s going to need a little more to cover up to stay consistent with not showing dong or labia on tv.

I was way too busy not trying to notice her backside to notice her frontside, but at least you caught this unfortunate incident.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

is there a market for a woman's wrestler working in 2000 Meng pants so that they won't have to worry about public wedgies working in shorts (extra points if it's heel who is just tired of all the internet perverts posting shots of her big ass onto the internet)

Not sure about market, but I'm pretty sure Marina Safir could pull that off with only marginal change in her presentation.

• Like 1

Watched Dynamite this afternoon and thought it was a pretty solid episode. Really, really enjoyed the Moxley/Swerve/Jay three way match. Tons of action and lots of brawling. Probably one of my favorite matches of the tournament! Danielson and Eddie was a really good match too and the Moxley vs. Eddie final on Saturday should be really, really wild. Interesting to have the ROH Tag Titles switched to the "Devil's Masked Men". I want to think that it could potentially be the Kingdom under the hood based on the piledriver move off the middle rope they used to win the title. I think the Devil could potentially be Adam Cole but honestly, who knows.

Just now, brynn9292 said:

Watched Dynamite this afternoon and thought it was a pretty solid episode. Really, really enjoyed the Moxley/Swerve/Jay three way match. Tons of action and lots of brawling. Probably one of my favorite matches of the tournament! Danielson and Eddie was a really good match too and the Moxley vs. Eddie final on Saturday should be really, really wild. Interesting to have the ROH Tag Titles switched to the "Devil's Masked Men". I want to think that it could potentially be the Kingdom under the hood based on the piledriver move off the middle rope they used to win the title. I think the Devil could potentially be Adam Cole but honestly, who knows.

There were people convinced on Reddit that the masked men were The Kingdom. I'm saddened by this, since Taven and Bennet seemed so sincere when backing Roddy.

One of the most awesome things I have ever hear in wrestling was when Eddie said back in 2020 that he's going to take the AEW World title to his mom and say "This is why you don't have any grandchildren!" NOW he finally gets to do it! I believe it!

• Like 1

I'm too much of a dork to nitpick her gear choices to notice these things.

She gets black misted and turns evil, but still has to get the Scooby Doo cosplay gear in because new gear is expensive. Then when she goes all in evil supernatural character, she still keeps the elaborate kinesiology tape everywhere because sports injury management is still important.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Gotta love the honor system of the two CC matches on Wednesday

”only you can cheat, no cheating by people not in the match”

Honestly, "You can do whatever you want yourself, but you can't bring a fucking army in to beat down your opponent" makes a lot more sense to me than the way No-DQ matches have traditionally been handled in wrestling.

I mean, I'm no fan of three-way matches always being No DQ, but the idea that it makes no sense for the "no interference or else" clause to be in effect just because it was seems like an odd take to me.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Gotta love the honor system of the two CC matches on Wednesday

”only you can cheat, no cheating by people not in the match”

Honestly, "You can do whatever you want yourself, but you can't bring a fucking army in to beat down your opponent" makes a lot more sense to me than the way No-DQ matches have traditionally been handled in wrestling.

I mean, I'm no fan of three-way matches always being No DQ, but the idea that it makes no sense for the "no interference or else" clause to still be in effect seems like an odd take to me.

5 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I mean, I'm no fan of three-way matches always being No DQ, but the idea that it makes no sense for the "no interference or else" clause to be in effect just because it was seems like an odd take to me.

BRB, booking a no-DQ match where they put a steel cage around the ring apron so that the wrestlers can't pull stuff out from under the ring as a rest spot.

Somebody obsessed with details would just claim that AEW locks the other wrestlers in the dressing room during the CC matches so that they can't break the interference rule.

Considering how basketball/football games are officiated, there might be a lane for wrestling to lean into the "all action, no watching officials look at a monitor" concept. As much as some people want to drift back to rules because it's hard to get heat on heels otherwise.

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

If you’re AEW with all the uncertainty about live attendances, how reluctant are you to have MJF lose the title in his backyard?

I've kinda felt like Joe is the classic "build up the monster to feed to the top face" angle from the beginning. He really isn't top of the card material at this stage of his career. This match only works as a ppv main because it's in MJF's hometown.

It's definitely time to give Swerve a run with the strap, though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I've kinda felt like Joe is the classic "build up the monster to feed to the top face" angle from the beginning

granted they ran MJF/Joe for the Ashe show in Queens within the last 4 months, so it's also a rematch in essentially the same market

in a way, if they had put over Joe in Queens and then had this be the rematch, it would make sense although I guess they had to give MJF the record for longest reign which wouldn't have happened if he lost the belt in September (there might be some wear and tear to MJF or Cole that doesn't happen if you change some detail about that match)

7 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

It's definitely time to give Swerve a run with the strap, though.

not sure how long the window will be open for that... AEW doesn't really do squash matches often on big shows (Wardlow/MJF being an exception) so I'm suspecting that Swerve/Keith Lee goes like 12 minutes and it'll be up to us to decide if Keith Lee gets anything from the match or if it slows down Swerve any.

It probably should be the equivalent of busywork for Swerve. Have him win in under 10 minutes. Maybe have the match on before the Main Event so that Swerve is walking back up the ramp as MJF enters (even if that might require Swerve being obviously slow) so there's a face to face.

The CC has been good for Swerve since Swerve's a lot better in the ring than his out of ring booking.

Speaking of Wardlow/MJF... hey if Wardlow isn't at least on the scene when MJF gets his "go off to the injured list" injury, then why the hell are they running so many vignettes for him. Sid taking out HBK after WM11 comes to mind here.

I'm guessing they really really don't want to do another vacancy after the ordeal of what happened in 2022 with the World Title, so it's sort of a chore if MJF retains Saturday but they want to get the belt off of him anyways.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

And even she's probably busy going "I wonder what my lord and saviour is saying now on Truth Social?" but yeah, only her.

Jessica Irvine unlocked her Twitter this week. It's very right-wing wingnut.

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Holy shit. This is the most PRO WRESTLING MOTHERFUCKERS promo of all time:

Eddie could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves.

Not something I'd normally say - I hope that one day dude gets a giant fucking contract from WWE for a few years and he can bring his amazing version of wrestling to the masses. Danielson got to be "indy guy gone mega over mainstream fan favorite through sheer good wrestling shit" and I can think of nobody else more deserving than Eddie Fucking Kingston. 

• Like 4