DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/27/2023 - 1/2/2024 - Apocalypse Yow!

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Gotta love the honor system of the two CC matches on Wednesday

”only you can cheat, no cheating by people not in the match”

They mentioned a few times that anyone not in the match interfering would be fired.  That's an incentive not to cheat.

6 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

They mentioned a few times that anyone not in the match interfering would be fired.  That's an incentive not to cheat.

guessing they kept Miro and Andrade from interfering by locking them in the basement ala the Simpsons gag in the Whacking Day episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k90oxxldsMA

• Haha 1

Pinnacle isn't a terrible idea, but doesn't work as well without Spears. Wardlow would have to be the main guy, and FTR should be above just being the muscle. Spears' movie-psychopath-mashup was a highlight towards the end of that group.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Spears' movie-psychopath-mashup was a highlight towards the end of that group.

One of my favorite things he did in AEW was whichever Stadium Stampede it was where his segment began with him in that room surrounded by hundreds of chairs. His facials were pitch perfect with that spotlight over him. That said, the "Hea(r)tless" thing will never not be the funniest shit to me. I wish him well as X Division Champion.

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Jessica Irvine unlocked her Twitter this week. It's very right-wing wingnut.

And I will look forward to Jericho teaming up with Sammy Guevara and having long promos on every Dynamite and Collision for a whole year and watching every minute of that before I will entertain the thought of ever checking that account out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Pinnacle isn't a terrible idea, but doesn't work as well without Spears. Wardlow would have to be the main guy, and FTR should be above just being the muscle. Spears' movie-psychopath-mashup was a highlight towards the end of that group.

Any reason why they couldn't bring him back? He's still on their roster page. Realistically Spears isn't a main event guy and wouldn't be a worthy challenger of MJF anyway so they'd have to appoint someone new as leader.

12 hours ago, Coletti said:

Not something I'd normally say - I hope that one day dude gets a giant fucking contract from WWE for a few years and he can bring his amazing version of wrestling to the masses. Danielson got to be "indy guy gone mega over mainstream fan favorite through sheer good wrestling shit" and I can think of nobody else more deserving than Eddie Fucking Kingston. 

I'm going to be selfish and say I hope he never leaves.  For one after hearing about how he almost went to WWE it didn't sound like a place he would consider again.  And for another he's pretty much neck-and-neck with Mox as the heart and soul of AEW.  The idea of him leaving for WWE would just feel so very wrong but I do agree I hope he is able to achieve more fame and money even while in AEW.  I get what you mean though about bringing it to the masses but AEW's not too shabby on the popularity side themselves.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Looking again at the dudes winning the ROH tag team championships, one can definitely see one has a mustache. I'm starting to highly believe in the theory The Devil and his Pals are either The Pinacle or reDRagon/Undisputed Era.

Maybe the mustache is a fake, a disguise under his mask to throw off the scent, like Nicholas Cage’s character in Kick-Ass.

When Jericho came out to start the show with a blahblahblah segment, I was a bit "uh-oh" but it turned out to be a nice heartwarming reunion for les sex gawds. 

Hat tip to, I think, Ex for "smitten" and "chagrin"

I always enjoy a Pure Rules match, and Sydal was an interesting choice for Yuta's warm-up match before fighting Hook tomorrow.

Chaos vs Top Flight action was exactly what I hope for in a Rampage main event. There's lots of things that I hope for, I guess, and a fast and fun little bit random trios match is absolutely among them. 

I don't think this show got me MORE excited for tomorrow's PPV, but I am excited enough already.

• Like 3

On 12/28/2023 at 12:17 PM, Matt D said:

Perfect. Mox even touched on some of this in the post-match promo duel.

That might be my favorite AEW match of all time because of all the backstory, all the storytelling in the match, the stiffness, the psychology, and the outcome which had me on the verge of tears.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 3:37 PM, Craig H said:

As for Skye, I thought I was the only one who noticed her, um, crotchtal region wardrobe malfunction on Saturday. I thought then that she’s going to need a little more to cover up to stay consistent with not showing dong or labia on tv. 

I mentioned needing to settle down a lot, but I definitely noticed her outfit on Saturday and how quickly they had to change camera angles on near falls.

I really enjoyed the 3-way and booking wise it needed to be Mox but Swerve is ready for a run at the top.

All of the sports entertainment was fairly bad, but to be expected for the main go-home show to a PPV where they had to hotshot more matches. I will say that Riho looks less like a teenager in street clothes. And Sammy was right about the Callis family not doing much for the wrestlers but good grief that whole segment was brutal other than the Callis and Fletcher poster. Free Lard Lad! The Cope-Cage brawl was notable for seeing all the random guys like Bryan Keith and the Von Erichs.

The Stat-Skye match was excellent, the heel turn has really been good for Skye. The first Code Blue was the best it’s ever looked, had a ton of snap, and the Super Code Blue was impressive.

As said above, the Danielson-Kingston semifinal may be my favorite AEW match of all time, that kind of shit is what keeps me watching wrestling.

Main blew, the Devil angle is toast and I don’t know that there’s any way to salvage it at this point.

Rampage wasn’t very good. I am impressed that Saraya found a protege with an accent and an ample enhanced bosom. Sydal in a Pure match was a little different, glad for Yuta to get a dominant win; the Danhausen aftermath wasn’t necessary as Yuta was allowed one closed fist punch anyway. I enjoyed the main and was glad to see Dante get a big pin and Top Flight Action go over.

I’m on the fence about the PPV. I actually care less about the main event now. I’m most interested in the Continental Classic final. Mildly interested in the Cage-Edge match. Most of the rest feels like thrown together filler.

• Like 4

The Acclaimed exist to move merch, but unless they're selling a ton of pink scissor belts, I don't see why they need the straps. They could easily be in the Best Friends role and accomplish the same thing. Instead of the ROH 6-man belts existing, Mogul Embassy should've beaten the Acclaimed a while ago and set up a big win for Top Flight Action right about now.

• Like 3

We don't know, that's a brand new feature that was only added this month. The email I got saying "You have access to old PPVs now!" was sent on Decembe 17th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

We don't know, that's a brand new feature that was only added this month. The email I got saying "You have access to old PPVs now!" was sent on Decembe 17th.

Thanks!  We’ll see together, I guess!  Anybody in the US, I highly recommend vpn and AEW+.  Feel free to PM me if you need help, but you probably don’t because I’m very late to the party.

17 hours ago, AxB said:

Sucks to be me, who has AEW+, but also PURCHASED every one the free PPV:s in the past two years. But for everyone who hasn't seen some of these, there's plenty of awesome stuff in there!

Reading online, it sounds like there’s one free PPV from each year.  But I can’t verify because I can’t figure out a simple way to browse all PPVs chronologically like you can with, for example, episodes of Dynamite.