DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 12/18 - 12/24/2023 - The American Nightmare Before Christmas

Dolfan in NYC

It's been a year since Flop Dolla happened.  However, much like the "Practice?", Allen Iverson quote...  it's all about context. 

Tonight, TAG TITLE TURMOIL~!

Carter & Chance take on Piper Niven & Chelsea Green for the Women's Tag Titles! 

The Creed Bros. take on The Judgement Day for the Men's Tag Titles! 

You need to finish your Christmas shopping!   Hurry! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's been a year since Flop Dolla happened.  However, much like the "Practice?", Allen Iverson quote...  it's all about context. 

You can't fuck around with diabetes having seen what it did to my much missed Mum first hand including amputations. I got checked for it this year and I'm good whereas my Dad tested this year and is borderline. Please take the disease seriously, DVDVR MB family.

• Like 5

WIll be interesting to see if the titles change tonight for either set. I feel like if it does neither the KCs or Creeds will be champs for long. 

That number for Top Dolla is insane. Only seen something that high with my father and it ended up with a hospital visit or two.

Raw is usually just background noise while I'm working, but this was actually a really good show from an in-ring standpoint. Miz-Gunther and both tag title matches were all great, especially the men's tag match. The Creeds are really starting to show they belong here. Most of the promo and backstage segments were tune-out-able as usual but for the first time in a while I found myself engrossed on what was going on in the ring.

Fun show. Happy to see KC² win the Women's Tag Titles. I also have to wonder if the Brutus Ball is long for the world, especially as a regularly used move. I don't feel like it was an issue in NXT but Brutus has not had great luck when it comes to his landings on Raw.

Edited by blitzkrieg
  • Like 1

The Judgement Day/Truth segment leading into JD vs. Truth was all good fun. Even the finish was the perfect setup of dumb luck for Truth winning. 

Miz/Gunther II was fantastic and easily among Miz's best matches ever and probably a top 3 for Gunther this year. They did a great job dragging the crowd into everything and making them believe Miz had at least one or two shots actually taking the match. I also loved how even with a weak spot for Miz to target Gunther was still a beast Miz had to work hard to take down. 

Nakamura's Nightmare before Christmas rendition was good stuff. The brawl with Cody right after was decent.

KC² vs. Chelsea/Piper was decent/ Glad to see the KCs finally take the gold. I look forward to the eventual title match where the Kabuki Warriors murder them for the belts. That should be fun.

The Becky/Nia segment was a decent setup for their Day 1 match.

Ivar/Tozawa was a fun little showcase for Akira before the eventual crushing by Ivar.

The Seth/Drew segment and subsequent brawl was all solid. 

Kaiser/Jey was solid.

Finn/priest vs. Creeds built into a good match with the crowd getting decently hot by the end. Despite the loss the Creeds got in a great showcase and even Ivy got a nice moment getting one over on Rhea. Loved Rhea's reaction to Ivy picking her up in the electric chair position. 

Pretty solid show with decent segments and solid-good matches. Miz/Gunther II was fantastic and MOTN though the men's tag titles match was quite good and well worth a watch as well.

• Like 1

GUNTHER/Miz was really, REALLY good. Hell it's probably the best Miz match since Danielson was in the fed. Him doing a couple neato leg holds right after Barrett said he'd been studying Karl Gotch and Billy Robinson (?!?!?!) was really cool, and like, say, Ziggler, he's best when he's getting the shit kicked out of him and there is nobody better than GUNTHER to do that. Miz also busted out the Orange Cassidy "flip around my opponent really fast" tornado DDT which was surreal, and the Avalanche Skull Crushing Finale looked killer. So, awesome to see this match show up completely out of nowhere to me (I didn't see the first one). 

Does Piper Niven dress different every show now? Last two times I've seen her she wore something new and this time she was dressed like Xena, Warrior Princess 😄

Nakamura called Dusty inbred. Crowd seemed shocked. I also really like him spitting red mist because it looks like the opponent got busted open. 

Should I go back and watch the main? I only caught the very end and that Doomsday Device butt-smash with the one Creed landing right on Priest was wicked. 

• Like 1

Last night was shockingly a good episode of RAW. Miz/Gunther might be the match of the week. It's amazing what Miz can do when he puts those working shoes on. I actually marked out for the knee bar and Indian Death Lock he busted out. I thought after the super skull crushing finale he had the match won. It's a shame the feud has to end with one of those stupid "can't challenge while so and so is still champion" things.

Judgement Day vs. The Creed Bros was really good. I thought after the women's tag title change we would see this tag title change as well. Julius Creed is a freak with his leaping ability.  Ivy even got one over on Rhea so I'm looking forward to that match when it happens. I love The BrutusBALL as a new Doomsday Device finisher. It's a shame RAW doesn't have an overrun anymore because this match easily had another 10 minutes in it especially with Julius almost kicking out on the chokeslam.

But yea it was a shockingly good episode last night. The matches were good. The comedy was funny. All in all good.

• Like 2

Miz/Gunther was surprisingly great again, I think this match was the better of the two but has commercials. Miz breaking out a heel hook (I think?) and upping the stiffness was fun, Gunther responding with a cravat-style stf was even better. They paced the match well enough I thought they might actually make the switch for a second. Worth checking out

I'm not digging Chance and Carter so far. Carter has some nice kicks and some that look more like a gentle stretch, Chance can do some Spiderman shit but that's about it. Also I'm bummed fellow Canuck Chelsea Green had to lose, sue me

I'm into insincere heel Drew, Seth still has so many extras to work through before he gets to the point on things

Ludwig Kaiser stomping a Santa hat was perfect, he's really inhabiting that 'third ranked villain in an Indiana Jones movie' vibe. Main Event Jey is proving to be an interesting experiment, not sure where he goes as a singles wrestler but if they're serious about pushing him I could see Uso being the one to unseat Gunther

Ripley and Ivy Nile will be one to watch. Trial by fire for Ivy and she showed some ability in NXT, not sure if she's really earned a shot but Rhea has time to kill

Creeds/JD made me think the Creeds have a future as heels once they get through the initial aw shucks college kids babyface run. I agree the Brutus Ball might need a rethink, it's tough for Brutus to control his fall after impact and he's been all over his opponents on the landing. Julius with the run up the ropes dive was wild and very nearly a bad landing, dude is highly athletic and loves to try things and with more experience I think he'll pull off some amazing stuff

"That's what you are! You're a piece of trash! Loser! Loser!"

I have to say, Trick Williams' catchphrase being Whoop That Trick doesn't make a lot of sense to me

From one indigenous wrestler to another, that rules. And now an underground match is a no ropes match? I'm into it. Shane's legacy lives on

Hope they cleared that ending with Big E. Pretty tasteless either way and I have no idea what this is supposed to do for Ridge

It is clearly an angle because they focused on Holland.   I thought it was an angle where he was a heel that is now crippling people.  Nope it is a lot worse it is angle about why Ridge Holland is a dangerous and sloppy wrestler who can't stop giving people serious injuries.    I can't imagine explaining this that Ridge isn't looking at thinking he is just shit 

Well it pretty much was with how he was describing himself. Guess you have to look at is that it's WWE, they're never not gonna be tasteless. And you know they probably don't give a fuck how E feels. 

Anyhoo. The 3-way had a LOT of three-person spots but it was pretty tight and moved at a good pace. We all know that rarely happens with these matches, so kudos. I was commenting on the Discord about how the NXT women seem to be all similar in looks and names and how I didn't really care about anyone but Rok-C, and then Paxley and Lyon go out there and have a fine match. It helps that they look a little off-the-norm too. Lyon is yet another blonde but looks like a freakin Amazon and doesn't seem to follow their "mean girl" pattern. Meanwhile Paxley is coming off a little crazy and had a good control-centered match where Lyon ate a lot of stuff. 

4 hours ago, Kang said:

I need some of those millions of dollars.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind owning some IP that someone would be willing to pay a few million bucks for. Ideally, they would come to me and say "Look, we'd really like to own this IP so we are willing to make you rich if you just sign it over and walk away forever." WITHOUT any nasty litigation preceeding it. And I'd be like "Where do I sign? Hell, I have this other piece of IP I'm not really using for anything lying around, you can have that one for free!"

Tiffany/Fallon was pretty nice while it lasted. The post match with Stratton beating on Fallon and dumping trash on her was solid heel work. Still, this whole feud feels weird since it started off with Fallon being a bitch to Tiffany for no real reason.

King/Lennox was a solid showcase for both guys. King looks good in shorter matches like this with his personality really showing alongside a slightly more unique ring style from the norm. Lennox right now is getting by purely on intensity which is fine for a rookie though he will need to show more later.

Thea/Jacy vs. Kaina/Izzi was pretty solid with both teams looking pretty decent and gelling well together.

Lee vs. Dempsey vs. Coffey was good.

Tavion/Luca was decent. Neither stood out quite as well as King, but both did better than Lennox. 

Lyons/Tatum was mostly a showcase for Lyons, particularly with her strong comeback at the end. Not sure how Lyons busted Tatum's nose, but it only added to the creep factor when Tatum was obsessing over Lyra's feather despite the loss. Even Nikkita looked surprised when looked back at Tatum though I'm not sure if she was selling Tatum being creepy or was just surprised to see Tatum bloody.

Gallus vs. Hank/Tank was fun hoss fight. The ending worked well pushing how Tank is too eager and needs more discipline. Curious to see if they bring anyone in to give it to him and Hank.

Ilja/Ridge was pretty damn good up until the injury angle. Ridge and Ilja feed into each's styles perfectly. Its a shame they chose to end it with a shitty angle. Not sure what they point of it is as I don't really see it helping anyone involved. They honestly would have been better off just turning Ridge into a full heel and doing it on purpose.

Mostly solid episode of NXT though it ended on a bad note with the final angle. It is a shame as I think the match preceding it was arguably the best tonight up until that moment. 

• Like 1