DVDVR Message Board

December 2023 Wrestling Talk

12 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I lost the ability to watch obsessively in late 1992 until 1994. I’ve since caught up and some of the better 1993 stuff you mentioned, while good, just wasn’t original. Sting vs Vader was original at the time but the skits were not, the Bulldog stuff was not, and Flair vs Sting for the 100th time was not. That was also possibly their worst match vs each other.

Arn vs Barry was a great match but 1 thing in it annoyed the heck out of me lol! Arn was working a bigger babyface bit than Brad Armstrong and Doug Gilbert combined Xs 1989 Flyin Brain. Him jumping up and down happy and smiling was so silly lol! 

Bulldog wrestling in WCW was fun but he lost interest fast and started no showing until they fired him on purpose IIRC. 

Cactus and Vader had some classics in 1993. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

On looking into the CM Punk Philadelphia dark match from 2003, I found this result

Guessing Doug took the fall.

I was at that show!  Sorry, I can’t remember the finish, though.  I do recall this was basketball shorts Punk.  Also, Chavo injured his arm in a dark match, which led to the Eddy/Tajiri team.  

• Like 1

Cactus Jack and Vader was great AND original for sure. I was leaving out the absolutely perfect stuff just to make my point lol! SMW in WCW was great along with many other things that didn’t last long enough, like Cactus Jack and Vader. While they did last a while, that was not long enough. Remember they were actually considering doing a long feud and making Jack the champion for that 1 minute. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Watching Iron Claw does kind of feel like an obligation, doesn't it? As wrestling fans this is kind of a big thing whether you want to deal with it or not. I've got people that aren't wrestling fans asking if someone wants to go see it with them on Facebook. 

Like in 80s, when comic book fans went to any superhero movies as a show of solidarity to hope more got made.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Local man was legendary wrestling announcer

Bill Mercer making media appearances this month with the Texas Rangers, the Ice Bowl, and the Iron Claw.

Boy, that station desperately needs a new transcriber. I'd even offer my services. 

Very happy that Bill is still alive and kicking all these years later. He was ancient in the World Class doc and that was like what, ten years ago? That's a dude that should have an autobio written before he passes. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Boy, that station desperately needs a new transcriber. I'd even offer my services. 

Very happy that Bill is still alive and kicking all these years later. He was ancient in the World Class doc and that was like what, ten years ago? That's a dude that should have an autobio written before he passes. 

someone in the "wrestling biographies" book genre might be able to write a Bill Mercer book that could crossover to a few other groups of fans who aren't Wrestling fans

at the risk of giving Brian Solomon or Scott Teal another topic to right a book about

That seems to be a theme across quite a few sports. The best managers/ coaches tend to have been less than great as players, the best players never seem to work out as top managers.

I did put a Miracle Gen vs Haven match in the 2023 match thread, just so anyone who wants can see who I'm talking about.

• Like 1